When will UR7 be released?
Nov 27, 2005 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Wodgy

Headphoneus Supremus
Just for fun, I thought I'd post a poll asking for guesses as to when Grover UR7 will be released. The UR5 seems to have only lasted about two weeks before the advent of UR6.

BTW, no slight to Grover is intended -- I think it's actually quite interesting that someone has finally come up with what's effectively a "subscription" based sales scheme for audio gear. Just the thing for scratching the tweaker's itch.

Though I do think the name "Ultimate Reference" is somewhat humorous/ironic given that the word "ultimate" typically connotes ideas like "final", "last", and the idea that something is so sophisticated it can't be improved upon.
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Though I do think the name "Ultimate Reference" is somewhat humorous/ironic given that the word "ultimate" typically connotes ideas like "final", "last", and the idea that something is so sophisticated it can't be improved upon.
biggrin.gif

True, although ultimately each iteration proves to be a reference point for the next.

Cute poll, and thanks for the "no disrespect to Grover" proviso. As he's expressed both here and at the SH Forum, it's all about getting the best possible product into people's hands as soon as he can... and he sees no need to ship out prior iterations if he knows that he has since improved upon the process. What it amounts to is that he's having a blast as he goes through the discovery process, and never expected to be faced with such a strong demand. I suspect that a lot of DIY guys have ramped up the same type of learning curve, only more quietly in the peace and quiet of their own garages before becoming known 'designers'... so I'm thinking January for UR7 unless he gets a brainstrom while doing his Christmas shopping!!!

Nov 27, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 12
Seriously, I do think Grover is a pioneer, and I don't mean any disrespect. In many ways this scheme, whether intentional or not, is pretty much ideal for the typical cable buyer. It's a much better business model for the customer than dropping a large chunk of change on Cardas Neutral Reference or Nordost Valhalla and then having it just sit there and getting bored with it. You get a great cable for a good price and then have the option of regular upgrades, some of which get sent to you for free (great Pavlovian marketing there, BTW). It ends up being a lot of fun, and if you lose interest in audio as a hobby or your priorities change, you can just stop buying the latest updates, and you're probably still ahead versus what you would have spent had you bought the Cardas Neutral References originally. That it's probably very profitable in the same way that regular software upgrades are the greatest source of profit for software vendors is just a happy side effect.

Nov 27, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 12
Yes, but my Cardas Neutral and Golden Reference Interconnects won't keep me up at night wondering if I got the latest "version" or "upgrade." I am done. End. Finis. Habis. Finished.
tongue.gif

n
o
t
!

Nov 27, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 12
The constant revisions can be a bit frustrating but you really have to give Grover credit for the work he does and the spirit with which he does it. To me, Grover has always been about delivering the absolute best cable he knows how to make at the moment it's ordered and he's always done it at a very reasonable price.

There's lots of other makers out there who have no problem shipping you an older design that they know isn't their best work and they have no problem charging you a small fortune for it either. Besides that, if it weren't for guys out there like Grover who make a great cable for under $200, there wouldn't be much incentive for larger manufacturers to make products that compete in the same price range.

Call me a Grover fan-boy, but I think he's done a lot for the hobby.

Nov 27, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 12
The constant updates and changes has been the thing that has kept me from getting a pair. Same reason I won't buy any of xin's amps. I don't want to spend money on something that will be outdated in a month or two.

Nov 27, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 12
I know the upgrades can be very frustrating. How ever progress is made one step at a time. Not only is material progress made one step at a time but hearing progress is also made in this fashion. I want to offer free upgrades to all UR5 owners. Everyone who processes a UR5 send it to me to upgrade to the improved model.

Nov 28, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 12
Third week of December. Actual date: Dec 14th. (My anniversary BTW.)

Nov 30, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 12
I have no idea what version URs I have (probably UR4?) but I have no intention of getting an "upgraded" version. I already like mine a lot, upgrade or no upgrade. Grover provides an excellent product at a price point that does not wake you up at night wondering if cables make a difference
icon10.gif

Nov 30, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 12
while I understand the aprehension regarding the recent spate of revisions.
take a moment to consider a few things
1. the cable series could never have been numbered and simply refined over time without consumers knowlwdge. Instead this is a straight shooter approach
2. he could have not been as passionate about refinements and left well enough alone, after all the cable already has a solid fan base on at least two web communities
3. the UR4s are no more out of date then my kimber pbjs ics or my AKG 340s, while a new version is out it does not make the older version less valid

At the end of the day the UR4 5 or 6 is still a great cable at a great price (IMHO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back