when will there be universals of the JH13/16 pro quality?
Apr 1, 2010 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

AndrewG

CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Aka: Boxboxbox
Will we ever see universal IEMs with the quality of the JH13/16pros? Is it possible to attain without the custom? if they have technology to put all these drivers they probably can put them into a universal right?

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 35
Sure, but it won't sound as good as a custom, so anyone willing to shell out 600-800 dollars for an IEM is probably able to pay another 150 (well justified dollars) to customize it.

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 35
Well when I read that I thought about the whole thing that tips change the sound of the IEM thing... along with comfort so you could take those into consideration as well. I definitely get a different sound out of comply tips compared to silicons.

But I guess that is veering off a little :/

I think it will be a while though; there's a reason that it's in a custom mold; not easy to fit more than 3 armatures in a universal :/

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #10 of 35
If Jerry Harvey decides to do universals again? Who knows. They'll stick out sideways even more than the old UEs, they'll be bigger, they'll be more uncomfortable, but god damn they'll sound good. Because that's what he does.

But then you'll be like "damn, those customs look way more comfortable than my penta.fi 3.141592s", and you'll shell out for customs anyways. And thus, JH profits twice.

It's genius.

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 35
I don't think you could do a JH13 style IEM as a universal in any kind of practical way. The demo universals are giant, and amazingly uncomfortable. There's too much to cram into the body to make it realistic.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #14 of 35
I don't think this is possible now or in the near future, due to the aforementioned size requirements. Jamming 4+ drivers in a universal makes a darn big universal. Therefore I think that this will be possible only with advances in technology, perhaps allowing us to reach JH-13 levels in 3 or less drivers, or perhaps even dynamic drivers.

Apr 1, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #15 of 35
Even if they put the same drivers (some how squeeze them in) into a universal casing, IMO i dont think they would sound the same because the care, quality control and custom tuning just cant be replicated in a mass produced product. could you imagine how awkward the sizing of the tips would be if placed on a triple bore shaft? obviously the UE18 and JH16 are the only triple bore iems (to my knowledge) but i have no doubt there will be others that follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back