When was your first headphone "WOW" and what caused it?
Jun 16, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #76 of 111
No headphone ever wow'ed me
frown.gif
It was more like, hmm... not bad

If DAC1 can't make these senns sing, I'm leaving them for good
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #77 of 111
HD600 coming out of some home theater receiver at a local audio store. without a dedicated headphone amp, they still sounded so great.

Jun 16, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #78 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
1977. I auditioned a Yamaha HP-1 and bought them after about 5 minutes of listening. So warm, so full, so musical and natural.

holy crap dude, wasn't that about the time they invented the wheel?

Jun 16, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #79 of 111
Shure e3cs. I got them with the iRiver h320. Plugged them in to my iriver, normal EQ, normal volume...I didnt get a good seal at all, but the few seconds I had the m on my ears and I was completely mesmerized. Detail that I'd have never experienced before.

I bought them for $150 when I dropped by here a few months after to realize you could get them for about -$50 that. Oops =(

Jun 16, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #80 of 111
Wearing my SA5Ks listening to MYCO sing "Myself". All of a sudden, I was right there with her. Nothing else has WOW'ed me more than that moment.

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #81 of 111
My Grado SR60 caused an.... "Ooooh".... but I was expecting them to, so it wasn't a "wow". The first "wow" was when I first heard them out of my Cmoy. I was expecting zero difference, and it sounds like a completely different set of headphones.

Stew

Jun 17, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #82 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
holy crap dude, wasn't that about the time they invented the wheel?

Before they invented you, probably. But it was a very advanced 'phone for its day in many ways, far more futureproof than most headphones of the time.

Anyone who tells you speakers have "better" bass than headphones hasn't heard a properly damped Yamaha YH-100, a direct descendant of Beagle's HP-1. I've coined a new word to describe it: smacktile bass.

Jun 17, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #83 of 111
had quite a few small wows.

But the real 'WOW' was around a week ago, listening to some choral music with an ER-4P and a Go-Vibe. I realized that I could track each vocal part with percision almost effortlessly.

And I thought I had heard all the details I ever could hear from that piece beforehand
rolleyes.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #84 of 111
When I first listened to the KTXPro1's, I was pretty dissappointed- I was hating the rolled-off highs and overshadowing bass. That is, until last week when I cut the pads.
Then, wow...I'm actually enjoying the music again! I'm actually hearing more highs and mids now, and the bass is tamed quite a bit (although it has a different character now; much more midbass than before).
These will tide me over until the SR60's arrive
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #85 of 111
First wow: Late 1988 or 89, Sennheiser 480. (BTW - for all those who wonder how it sounds: Think of Koss (S)Porta Pro with *lots* more details.)

Second wow: 2001, Philips 890. So almost as good in comparison to Sennheiser 600 for so less money that I went for it an still don’t regret it.

Third wow: 2005, Philips 890 with Porta Corda MkII. Unbelievable that more expensive combos can sound so much better that they are worth that much more money.

Toddy

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #87 of 111
About two weeks ago when I hooked up my old JVC VR-5505 amp to my comp. Played Social Distortion's cover of I fought the law on my Sony MDR-cd250s ( i really could go for some new stuff). That was the moment I thought, wow.....this is amazing, now I jsut need a portable amp and some really nice headphones for it ot be better.

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:16 AM Post #88 of 111
Not my first, but probably my best headphone "wow" so far was listening to M83's "Dead Cities Red Seas & Lost Ghosts" really loud on my HD555's out of a decent source...like waves of orgasmic bliss
600smile.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #90 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
I agree with GoRedWings19 on this one.

Apple Ipod's stock earbuds are like, so cool... They have that white colour that like, sooo matching with the Ipods... Because the Ipods are like, white coloured too...

And like, the white earbuds and the white Ipods are so like, match together...

And when I wear them outside, it's like everyone knows I have the Ipod earbuds... Isn't that like, sooo cool ?

And like, everyone is like, WOW....

LOL I knew people like that at college.
My first headphone wow was when I heard my rs-1 with reversed bowls from my pcdp. Best quality music I'd ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back