When trust disappears, Reviewers are simply “noise”
Nov 4, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #106 of 198
Sorry, wasn't talking about you with the value comment, that was in reference to those that don't take value into account! And regarding the H3 review, my take was a hideous misappropriation of the truth. I've considered taking it down, I don't know if it's even worth re-writing at this point, I fully acknowledge that this was one of my worst reviews, I take it as a learning experience and I don't think I've made the same mistake since...

I know it looks really bad, I just have young and strangely adaptable ears that make comparing earphones a nightmare. As such, it takes me a lot longer to break down sound than most others, but I just have to give each product time and comparison to provide an accurate take.

Well, out of interest..where do you think you went wrong if you're so adamantly making a 180 now?

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #107 of 198
What I've learned so far is that we can't trust all reviewers for various reasons, such as a misleading information on measurements, specifications and lack of knowledge on the product. Recently I saw a reviewer on Youtube (well known on headfi) who don't even know that Noble iems have a detachable cable, what a shame to trust a guy who is too lazy to get such basic information before uploading his review, what makes me laugh : he asked the audience to post the answer in the comments when he already has the product in hand and supposedly spent enough time with it for a review XD

Where are we going ?

Should I just stop posting on the forum itself unless it is a more educated post?

I tend to post sometimes when I'm feeling happy, but this might be part of the issue. Many posts are first impressions and sometimes I forget to tag them as such...

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #108 of 198
Well, out of interest..where do you think you went wrong if you're so adamantly making a 180 now?

In full honesty, and I think that's important for people to trust my opinion, I PM'd Brooko about my review, I think it played an integral role in the Kinera hype and I've regret my comments ever since. I wasn't paid or anything like that, but I was listening to some wonky Chi-fi stuff and I guess the Kinera sounded pretty good by comparison. I was also talking to some other reviewers that loved the H3 a LOT, I guess those comments got to me, at that time I was less confident in my own analysis.

And that's the only product that I've covered that I feel was misrepresented so it's like a big stain on my reputation. My other reviews may be subjective but they're accurate, I keep tabs on it by going back and editing little details around. I've only been actively reviewing for a year (I know, no excuse when I'm responsible for other's money), so I'm still figuring everything out, the other reviewers have been a great help to me and I think that reflects in my current work, it'll only get better and more accurate in future.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #109 of 198
Sorry, wasn't talking about you with the value comment, that was in reference to those that don't take value into account! And regarding the H3 review, my take was a hideous misappropriation of the truth. I've considered taking it down, I don't know if it's even worth re-writing at this point, I fully acknowledge that this was one of my worst reviews, I take it as a learning experience and I don't think I've made the same mistake since...

I know it looks really bad, I just have young and strangely adaptable ears that make comparing earphones a nightmare. As such, it takes me a lot longer to break down sound than most others, but I just have to give each product time and comparison to provide an accurate take.

Ah - OK thanks. And just to make sure - you shouldn't be changing your review because of me - but only if you are sure you've actually got it wrong. As Theo said - it might pay to sit down and list what you want to change and why. If you're changing anything - make sure its for the right reasons. And it has to be your opinion - not because of my rant.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #110 of 198
In full honesty, and I think that's important for people to trust my opinion, I PM'd Brooko about my review, I think it played an integral role in the Kinera hype and I've regret my comments ever since. I wasn't paid or anything like that, but I was listening to some wonky Chi-fi stuff and I guess the Kinera sounded pretty good by comparison. I was also talking to some other reviewers that loved the H3 a LOT, I guess those comments got to me, at that time I was less confident in my own analysis.

And that's the only product that I've covered that I feel was misrepresented so it's like a big stain on my reputation. My other reviews may be subjective but they're accurate, I keep tabs on it by going back and editing little details around. I've only been actively reviewing for a year (I know, no excuse when I'm responsible for other's money), so I'm still figuring everything out, the other reviewers have been a great help to me and I think that reflects in my current work, it'll only get better and more accurate in future.

You've mentioned something I think is very important for everyone to take into account. Most people don't have access to a lot of gear, and they also don't have the opportunity to experience and/or own truly incredible performing products.
Heck, if any of us "reviewers" think back to where we started.... We won't talk quite as highly of stuff we used to think were phenomenal when we started out. As you get to experience better gear (better, not more expensive) your ability to gauge what's great, good, and bad becomes more refined. We're all CONSTANTLY on that journey.

But coming back to the H3... @Brooko I saw in your H3 review that you compared it to the F9. This leads me to believe that you had already have a chance to try the F9 before trying the H3. Perhaps this is where our difference in opinion came in. Today, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the F9 over the H3.. But when I wrote about my impressions of the H3 it was well before I had a chance to listen to the F9. As such, at that time, according to what I've had an opportunity to try up to then, the H3 was really good for its price tag.

Perhaps that's an element of subjectivity that we'll never be able to get past though. Unless we all get to experience the same gear in the same chronological order, our perceptions and recommendations are going to differ.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #111 of 198
Its a very good point and a valid one Theo. Do you have a neutral/natural IEM you use to reset your ears when reviewing though? I have a few I use now. Unless you have a base line, its really hard not to adjust to the IEM you are reviewing and lose sight of perspective.

For the record, I use the HD600 and also the Alclair Curve. The two are different - but both are good for recalibration.

here's the Curve graph - you can probably see why I use it :wink:

curve.png

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #112 of 198
Its a very good point and a valid one Theo. Do you have a neutral/natural IEM you use to reset your ears when reviewing though? I have a few I use now. Unless you have a base line, its really hard not to adjust to the IEM you are reviewing and lose sight of perspective.

For the record, I use the HD600 and also the Alclair Curve. The two are different - but both are good for recalibration.

I'll add the Curve graph for you in a couple of secs.

HD600 is probably the best for this recalibration.

But some of us might be unable to afford it or afford to use open back headphones...

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #113 of 198
You've mentioned something I think is very important for everyone to take into account. Most people don't have access to a lot of gear, and they also don't have the opportunity to experience and/or own truly incredible performing products.
Heck, if any of us "reviewers" think back to where we started.... We won't talk quite as highly of stuff we used to think were phenomenal when we started out. As you get to experience better gear (better, not more expensive) your ability to gauge what's great, good, and bad becomes more refined. We're all CONSTANTLY on that journey.

But coming back to the H3... @Brooko I saw in your H3 review that you compared it to the F9. This leads me to believe that you had already have a chance to try the F9 before trying the H3. Perhaps this is where our difference in opinion came in. Today, I'd wholeheartedly recommend the F9 over the H3.. But when I wrote about my impressions of the H3 it was well before I had a chance to listen to the F9. As such, at that time, according to what I've had an opportunity to try up to then, the H3 was really good for its price tag.

Perhaps that's an element of subjectivity that we'll never be able to get past though. Unless we all get to experience the same gear in the same chronological order, our perceptions and recommendations are going to differ.

That's a good point Theo, I think budget gear is moving at light speed, the Magaosi K3 Pro that I previously held in high regard has since become quite mediocre to me. I only started getting access to larger amounts of gear when I joined THL, in that sense, it's really hard for newer reviewers, I understand their disadvantage. Even now I don't have nearly the library of products and experience that Brooko or Nathan have for example.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #114 of 198
HD600 is probably the best for this recalibration.
But some of us might be unable to afford it or afford to use open back headphones...

Doesn't need to be expensive George - just needs to be relatively neutral (no major peaks or emphasis). Here's the Meze 12 Classic - its a good one for recalibration.

curve.png

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #115 of 198
Doesn't need to be expensive George - just needs to be relatively neutral (no major peaks or emphasis). Here's the Meze 12 Classic - its a good one for recalibration.

Yeah, I need a reference-ish iem to reset my ears, I completely know what you mean. Would you suggest the Hifiman RE-600? In theory it's supposed to be quite neutral but to me it always sounds mid-forward.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #116 of 198
If the RE-600 is the same as the one that was included with the Super-mini, then yeah its a bit mid-forward. Nice IEM though - loved that one.

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #117 of 198

here's the Curve graph - you can probably see why I use it :wink:

TBH, at the moment I'm using the F9 for that. I'm in the process of trying to set up my testing rig to be as cost effective as I can make it (I'm not a Rockefller, I'm the other fella :p ) whilst allowing me to be as accurate and consistent as I can be within that cost constraint. As such, I'll be using the F9, and then I want to have 2x Shanling M2s and 2x Fiio A3 (I already have one of each). Having 2 Shanlings allows me to directly compare 2 DACs and/or AMPs by essentially using the same source (as the M2s is really the only DAP I've found so far that has both USB and lineout functionality at the $200 point), but without the added time delay of having to swap cables and change the volume if needed. And then the 2 A3s allows me to volume match with reasonable accuracy so that I don't have to worry about a volume mismatch due to different steps used in the digital volume control.

I just listened to the H3 again, and honestly, it sounds less bright than the F9 to me. It sounds darker, more veiled. If you still have the H3, would you mind using the included Sony Hybrid style tips and then comparing it to the F9? I'm really curious about this.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #118 of 198
TBH, at the moment I'm using the F9 for that. I'm in the process of trying to set up my testing rig to be as cost effective as I can make it (I'm not a Rockefller, I'm the other fella :p ) whilst allowing me to be as accurate and consistent as I can be within that cost constraint. As such, I'll be using the F9, and then I've got 2x Shanling M2s and 2x Fiio A3. Having 2 Shanlings allows me to directly compare 2 DACs and/or AMPs by essentially using the same source (as the M2s is really the only DAP I've found so far that has both USB and lineout functionality at the $200 point), but without the added time delay of having to swap cables and change the volume if needed. And then the 2 A3s allows me to volume match with reasonable accuracy so that I don't have to worry about a volume mismatch due to different steps used in the digital volume control.

I just listened to the H3 again, and honestly, it sounds less bright than the F9 to me. It sounds darker, more veiled. If you still have the H3, would you mind using the included Sony Hybrid style tips and then comparing it to the F9? I'm really curious about this.

You have hybrids that came with H3? I only have Silicone tips, no foam hybrid.

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #120 of 198
Should I just stop posting on the forum itself unless it is a more educated post?

I tend to post sometimes when I'm feeling happy, but this might be part of the issue. Many posts are first impressions and sometimes I forget to tag them as such...

First impressions are always welcome for the crowd, as most of us don't have the patience to wait for a full review and according to the rules, a reviewer can't write a full review just a couple of days after receiving the item, it wouldn't make sense and people won't trust a two days review considering that the item hasn't gone into burn in (even if not everyone believes in burn in) nor fully tested under the right conditions.

Reviewers as well as readers shall be able to differentiate first impressions from short/long feedbacks and proper reviews when the item has been fully tested for weeks to ensure that nothing is left behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back