When trust disappears, Reviewers are simply “noise”
Nov 3, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #61 of 198
I think the situation can continue, because it is profitable and people enjoy it. I don't think head-fi regards the 'situation' as a problem, and the audience that does regard the 'situation' as a problem have probably elected to get their information elsewhere. If you believe that there is an audience for the higher standard, then you'll probably have to work very hard with likeminded folk to cultivate it.

While I can understand it - I don't like it. And if that is the Head-Fi model, then while I respect them for it, I can choose not to participate in it. But Head-Fi can change the model simply by changing what they feature on the front page. By encouraging more balance (instead of positive only) then they do influence it. And by restricting the hype, hype gushy stuff - that sends a signal too.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #62 of 198
At any rate.

Why did everybody get so rilled up?

I forgot my motivation to be angry with anybody.

Everyone is trying to do their best to keep the world a better place.

I'm probably the most at a mistake here.

What am I exactly supposed to do?

Apologize and move on?

I'm actually sorry that I started a fight out of a mistake I made. Kinda shows that I'm not a pro yet. More like a hobbyist or enthusiast.

@Brooko What would you do if you were me? What do you advice?

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #63 of 198
Ryan- have you thought about getting some measurement equipment? It will help with the accuracy. the more accurate you are, the better the calls you can make.

Also - I'm happy to share any review samples as long as the manufacturers are fine with it - and I can't see any objections. The more tours we do - the more everyone benefits.

I might be picking up a mic in a few weeks to start measuring, I'm not sure if it would be more helpful to send my earphones and headphones to someone else so that we have like a standardised repository of sorts. It's just hard for me because I'm in Australia, there's not a huge audio following here and I'm low-key banned from the local retailer, I probably can't accomplish what I want to by myself.

Also, @Hawaiibadboy, you're a good guy with good motives and I respect your opinion. I will take your comments as constructive criticism, cheers mate.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #64 of 198
I might be picking up a mic in a few weeks to start measuring, I'm not sure if it would be more helpful to send my earphones and headphones to someone else so that we have like a standardised repository of sorts. It's just hard for me because I'm in Australia, there's not a huge audio following here and I'm low-key banned from the local retailer, I probably can't accomplish what I want to by myself.

Also, @Hawaiibadboy, you're a good guy with good motives and I respect your opinion. I will take your comments as constructive criticism, cheers mate.

Woah

How did you get banned from the local retailer? :triportsad:

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #65 of 198
While I can understand it - I don't like it. And if that is the Head-Fi model, then while I respect them for it, I can choose not to participate in it. But Head-Fi can change the model simply by changing what they feature on the front page. By encouraging more balance (instead of positive only) then they do influence it. And by restricting the hype, hype gushy stuff - that sends a signal too.

But If I ran head-fi, why would I bother? People come here and they like it. The people who don't like it leave. Suppressing hype would actually hurt people's extremely passionate engagement with the site, and putting front page negative reviews will hurt relationships with sponsors. You are advocating something that hurts the business model of the forum in the pursuit of a quixotic quest to improve things, but things only seem intolerable to you because of your perspective as a reviewer who hopes to be recognised and rewarded for your efforts.

Sorry to be a downer. Thats just how I feel after this many years. This kind of discussion is important to have but at the end of the day this site is what it is and serves the function that it does, and it does so well enough to generate enviable traffic and value.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #66 of 198
At any rate.
Why did everybody get so rilled up?
I forgot my motivation to be angry with anybody.
Everyone is trying to do their best to keep the world a better place.
I'm probably the most at a mistake here.
What am I exactly supposed to do?
Apologize and move on?

I'm actually sorry that I started a fight out of a mistake I made. Kinda shows that I'm not a pro yet. More like a hobbyist or enthusiast.
@Brooko What would you do if you were me? What do you advice?
  1. Go back and re-read what you wrote in your review. After the discussion that has gone on - do you still think it is accurate? If you think it is, then leave it. If you think it is not, then change it. Leave a note in the review as to why (I often do that if I edit something later).
  2. Learn. When someone points something out, find out why you made the mistake in the first place. See if you can apply method so you won't do the same thing again. Its hard to admit when you are wrong - like I said, I've been pulled up for a lot of early things I wrote. I learned. I'm still learning.
  3. If you're not sure - ask.
  4. Get yourself some measuring equipment and set some standards for when you are reviewing. Its time consuming. Its boring - but it increases accuracy.
  5. Write reviews for your readers. Not for Head-Fi. Not for the manufacturer. For the reader.
  6. Re-read your reviews - if they are sounding like an advertising piece and not an informational piece - then IMO you've crossed a line. Others may see this differently.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #67 of 198

Get in touch with Crinnacle. He's got a good set-up.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #68 of 198
Woah

How did you get banned from the local retailer? :triportsad:

Haha, I'm not banned, but I go way too often! Save me from myself.
But If I ran head-fi, why would I bother? People come here and they like it. The people who don't like it leave. Suppressing hype would actually hurt people's extremely passionate engagement with the site, and putting front page negative reviews will hurt relationships with sponsors. You are advocating something that hurts the business model of the forum in the pursuit of a quixotic quest to improve things, but things only seem intolerable to you because of your perspective as a reviewer who hopes to be recognised and rewarded for your efforts.

Sorry to be a downer. Thats just how I feel after this many years. This kind of discussion is important to have but at the end of the day this site is what it is and serves the function that it does, and it does so well enough to generate enviable traffic and value.

Yep, in my eyes, Head-fi isn't a review platform like THL and Headfonics for instance. It's more for discussion with some colloquial "user impressions". Somehow, we started seeing really in-depth reviews here and people building up a following when I feel that HF isn't always the best place for that.

There is certainly a place for hype, to quote a sociopath, if everything is hype, nothing is. It's always a careful balance. I think you have the right strategy Lachlan, writing on these larger sites is like a job and many feel they should be rewarded in some way. In that sense, it is better to be supported by the fans rather than sponsors, and the only way to improve that would be to divide those samples amongst a group of reviewers unified on the same platform, one reviewer can't hope to satisfy everyone.

And @Brooko I've actually been chatting to Crinnacle! I'm giving him a few things next month.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #69 of 198
You are advocating something that hurts the business model of the forum in the pursuit of a quixotic quest to improve things, but things only seem intolerable to you because of your perspective as a reviewer who hopes to be recognised and rewarded for your efforts.
I guess thats where we differ Lachlan. Yes - I like to have enough exposure so that it can create decent discussion on what I'm reviewing. Thats the only reward I really desire - I guess it is respect among my peers.

And I think Head-Fi may already be suffering with some of the changes. I've noticed a lot of movements to other sites. I personally believe it might be the business model which needs fixing. I guess only time will tell. If sponsors see better value elsewhere, they will go elsewhere. That is the danger.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #70 of 198
Great post Brooko. The responses from all have certainly been interesting, insightful, and enlightening. This sort of discussion is why I stick around and follow from those that I both agree with and disagree with.

@Dobrescu George No, but they do not expect them to return that 100 USD review sample, at least that was the case for me. Personally I'm fine with the whole sample thing pending a reviewer puts in the time to have warranted being sent it in the first place. You do that and you don't own them anything and have earned the privilege to review that item. People like Brooko, Twister6, and others clearly do; just look at the detail and thought that goes into everything they write. I like to think I do too, though admittedly on a much more simplistic level. While my process isn't as structured and well defined as some other reviewers, it's still immensely time consuming. Sitting down and pumping out something in a couple hours is impossible. It's a long @$$ process. My wife will attest to that...

For me this is a hobby and I don't get paid for anything I do; my blog isn't monetized, I haven't joined any affiliate programs, etc. I do it because it's fun and it's intended to help people spend wisely, unlike what I was doing when I started out. Samples are solicited because I can't afford to buy everything I want to review (that HiFiMan gear for example) and I want the experience. Mind you, reaching out for samples isn't quite as necessary now because I have had manufacturers reach out to me to see if I want to try X product. That feels good. Hopefully they're doing it because they value my thoughts and feedback and not because they think I'll give their gear a good review. I'm quite sure my reviews do not generate sales so if that's what they're going for they'll be sorely disappointed.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #71 of 198
I guess thats where we differ Lachlan. Yes - I like to have enough exposure so that it can create decent discussion on what I'm reviewing. Thats the only reward I really desire - I guess it is respect among my peers.

And I think Head-Fi may already be suffering with some of the changes. I've noticed a lot of movements to other sites. I personally believe it might be the business model which needs fixing. I guess only time will tell. If sponsors see better value elsewhere, they will go elsewhere. That is the danger.

Head-fi is a business, reviewing is not. We might be experiencing divergence of sorts.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #72 of 198
  1. Go back and re-read what you wrote in your review. After the discussion that has gone on - do you still think it is accurate? If you think it is, then leave it. If you think it is not, then change it. Leave a note in the review as to why (I often do that if I edit something later).
  2. Learn. When someone points something out, find out why you made the mistake in the first place. See if you can apply method so you won't do the same thing again. Its hard to admit when you are wrong - like I said, I've been pulled up for a lot of early things I wrote. I learned. I'm still learning.
  3. If you're not sure - ask.
  4. Get yourself some measuring equipment and set some standards for when you are reviewing. Its time consuming. Its boring - but it increases accuracy.
  5. Write reviews for your readers. Not for Head-Fi. Not for the manufacturer. For the reader.
  6. Re-read your reviews - if they are sounding like an advertising piece and not an informational piece - then IMO you've crossed a line. Others may see this differently.

Okay...

I edited all my posts reflecting that.... Every one of them.

The reason I got so angry has nothing to do with you or Head-Fi to be honest.

I know that. Probably I knew from the start.

I needed to argue for a bit.

I have lots of work to do, it is 04:30 AM and it feels better to argue about something I made a mistake about than to sleep right now...

Guess it is time I made a change in my life rather than try to pursue any kind of reviewer dream when I get in this state.

I apologize for disturbing the discussions. I shall edit my posts in this thread as well.

@Brooko I know you weren't attacking me, now that I am calm. I know I am at fault. I should send you an apology gift of sorts sometimes.

Guess I should start smoking again to relax better...

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #73 of 198
Head-fi is a business, reviewing is not. We might be experiencing divergence of sorts.
And that actually might not be a bad thing :wink:

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #74 of 198
Okay...

I have lots of work to do, it is 04:30 AM and it feels better to argue about something I made a mistake about than to sleep right now...

Guess it is time I made a change in my life rather than try to pursue any kind of reviewer dream when I get in this state.

I apologize for disturbing the discussions. I shall edit my posts in this thread as well.

@Brooko I know you weren't attacking me, now that I am calm. I know I am at fault. I should send you an apology gift of sorts sometimes.

Remember when audio was what we did to relax!

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #75 of 198
Okay...

Don't change your posts, and don't take up smoking! I've been off the cancer sticks for around 14 years now. They are definitely not the answer. Everyone makes mistakes George - me more than most. How you react to them is how you learn. I'm not trying to make little Brookos here - I'm trying to lift the standards all around. Theo has pulled me up a few times (we had some great discussions) on being too lenient when it comes to things like GUIs. You agree on common ground, agree to disagree on where there is no common ground, and you try to be better in what you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back