when to stop fixing headphones and buy new?
Jun 30, 2016 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wijnands

100+ Head-Fier
I bought my beyerdynamics DT-770 in 2011. Since then they've seen a lot of use. Most days they're in my work backpack because they're the best way for me to deal with open plan offices.

Last year I had a big row with beyerdynamic to get a spare slider kit for a halfway decent price. I've replaced the left slider but now the right is going.

the original plug is long gone and the replacement needs resoldering again

I love these headphones, I really enjoy their sound and they're supremely comfortable but I am now also starting to wonder when it's time to admit defeat and replace them. What would you do?

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 3
Hello @wijnands

Given how much you use them and the fact that you mentioned that you need another new slider and soldering for the replacement plug, it might be worth considering a full-on replacement of the costs get too high.

I'm not sure what type of case (if any) that you are currently storing them in, but I'd recommend getting one like this. While it can be bulky, it does a great job of protecting headphones when in a bag (as you said that's where you store your DT770), and helps avoid unnecessary wear-and-tear.

Jun 30, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 3
Depends on what the costs are for repairing.. if don't cost more than $50 I would choose to repair it and keep the old one for spare parts or you could go with an used DT770 in mint condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back