when pricing used gear
Dec 11, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #16 of 22
I've always thought buying and selling is pretty simple.

Something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

If someone decides to sell something above what they paid for it and someone, for whatever reason (to lazy to research a better price, as an example) then that is what it is worth.

If no one wants it because the price is excessive and the seller does not want to keep it, then it is effectively worth nothing.

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not to mention that asking for paypal fees is against paypal's terms and could get your account cancelled!

Actually, I think Paypal lets you have the option to let the buyer pay the fees now. At least that's how it worked the last time I sent some money over Paypal.

And personally, I gauge prices from other FS threads, and use the average prices as a starting point. Can't sell it? Slowly lower the prices until someone bites.
I don't think using the actual street price works for all cases, for example limited run headphones (HF-1, HF-2) and modified headphones.

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are private sales. People can charge what they want, and either people will buy or not. Depending on the item and timing, its value can go up, stay the same or near-about, or depreciate very quickly. If you don't like how something is priced, don't buy it.

Since I moved this thread out of the FS forums, I'm going to digress for a minute, and say that the amount of thread-crapping about prices in people's FS threads is getting out of control. Please read the rules, folks. There is no discussion allowed. If you don't like the price, don't buy it. The seller may or may not get the message if he's not getting pms. It's not your business to comment on it in the thread.

Amen. Happens just about every day.

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #19 of 22
I always price to sell.. I dont mind letting someone here get a good price on something if it means it's going to be appreciated. Plus it kind of feels weird trying to make a profit of friends and colleagues.

Dec 11, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And personally, I gauge prices from other FS threads, and use the average prices as a starting point.

Careful, you're about to start a new discussion of deleting/not deleting the price from for sale threads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicJunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Careful, you're about to start a new discussion of deleting/not deleting the price from for sale threads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Personal pet peeve of mine, but hey, it's the sellers' choice to leave it on or not, gotta respect that. Personally leave all the sold prices on, FWIW.

Dec 11, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #22 of 22
I really do not think there are any set rules for calculating/setting the right price.
So many variables come into the picture. Like:
* In/out of production.
* If the demand is higher or lower than the supply.
* Collectors value or not (ex. low unit numbers).
* Highly regarded or not.
* Condition.
* Age.

In the end the unit is worth what someone else is willing to pay. Following the sales of identical or similar units should give the seller some idea of what it is worth.

Happy sales and buys!
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back