when is the level of capacitance in a cable too high?
Oct 13, 2003 at 10:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Tom M

500+ Head-Fier
What would the amount be for interconnects? Here is an example of the capacitance of monster M550i: 72.0 pF/ft 236.2 pF/Meter Between Conductors 90.5 pF/ft 296.8 pF/Meter with grounded shield. Is this considered to high of capacitance. Btw I got these numbers from the tech dept of monster. I hope they don't get mad that I posted them.

Oct 14, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 26
You should not see any high frequency roll off, or any phase shift from those small values of capacitance.

edit- The actual frequency that you would start to exsperiance high frequency roll off is dependent on the cable capacitence, but also on the output impedance of the source of the signal. You can calculate it if you have the values, but you should be up in the area of 200 khz or so before roll off begins, is my educated guess.

Oct 14, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
You should not see any high frequency roll off, or any phase shift from those small values of capacitance.

so if this is true then these are good specs for a cable? Here are some more spec for the monster M550i: Resistance: 12.4 Milohm/ft 41 milohm/meter Inductance: .3 microH/ft 1.0 microH/meter

Oct 14, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 26
I would be happy with those specs. Now we get into the unmeasurable area- The question now becomes, do the specs really tell you if the cable will sound good or not. There is a large group of people who will tell you the specs mean nothing. This is why cables are the biggest money waster in audio. The majority believe that you can only judge a cable by buying it and trying it.

My belief- A reasonably built cable using decent materials will probably be just fine and I don't worry about the last little bit of difference between different cables, since the money I am not spending on cables will buy me alot of music and movies.

edit- Now I can wait around for the flamers to start roasting me for not buying the cable of the week.
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2003 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 26
I guess spec wise the monsters are pretty good. Now my next question is, what is an example of bad specs if these are good and monster is suppose to stink? Monster cable would have to be really awful on the none measurable things to be the bad cable that all the audiophiles love to hate.

Oct 14, 2003 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
I guess spec wise the monsters are pretty good. Now my next question is, what is an example of bad specs if these are good and monster is suppose to stink? Monster cable would have to be really awful on the none measurable things to be the bad cable that all the audiophiles love to hate.

Tom,

Your'e getting yourself too crazy about all this cable stuff. Buy the M550i's and be happy.
biggrin.gif

Remember; It's all about the Music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

edit- The actual frequency that you would start to exsperiance high frequency roll off is dependent on the cable capacitence, but also on the output impedance of the source of the signal. You can calculate it if you have the values, but you should be up in the area of 200 khz or so before roll off begins, is my educated guess.

How did you come to that figure Budgie? That would make any audible rolloff unlikely with capacitance levels like the ones I posted. No human can hear 200khz.

Oct 16, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 26
Look up the specs of Category 6/Category 6e ethernet cable. You'd be surprised at how good the specs are for that. Get the plenum-rated version and it even has teflon insulation. Add your own shield in an outer wrapper (see Digikey for tubular copper braid) and you have a good basis for interconnects.

Oct 16, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

I would be happy with those specs. Now we get into the unmeasurable area- The question now becomes, do the specs really tell you if the cable will sound good or not. There is a large group of people who will tell you the specs mean nothing. This is why cables are the biggest money waster in audio. The majority believe that you can only judge a cable by buying it and trying it.

My belief- A reasonably built cable using decent materials will probably be just fine and I don't worry about the last little bit of difference between different cables, since the money I am not spending on cables will buy me alot of music and movies.

edit- Now I can wait around for the flamers to start roasting me for not buying the cable of the week.
biggrin.gif

What qualifies as a reasonably built cable that uses decent marterials. Monster,audioquest,outlaw,and others?

Oct 16, 2003 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
What qualifies as a reasonably built cable that uses decent marterials. Monster,audioquest,outlaw,and others?

Tom,

When are you going to buy your cables? You are driving yourself insane!!
eek.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
Tom,

When are you going to buy your cables? You are driving yourself insane!!
eek.gif

It's even driving us insane?
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #15 of 26
I found my answer to the capacitance question. An article I read stated that if the capacitance of a cable is under 100 pF/ft there should be no effect on the audio signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back