When is it Time to Stop... Upgrading?
Jan 16, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #16 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by djayjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting-- though I thought that it was sorta the consensus that headphones offer much better price/performance than a system could (?).

Until I bought these:

Acculine A1

Acculine ASub

I use them as nearfield, desktop speakers (except for the woofer which stays on the floor) so I listen to them like they were phones but without the several deficits I discovered phones have with long term use.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM Post #17 of 101
...when they upgrade all music to 50's Jazz, 70's rock and a touch of Klezmer.

Oh *!@#, I'm getting old, perhaps I'm the one that needs to be upgraded.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #18 of 101
For all-round I'd stick to HD650 with Solo. For music I could be happy with just the Sr325i, and could probably downgrade to sr125 (which I had before) and still be happy... I was happy with crappy sony streetsyle headphones years ago.
Part of the fun is the new stuff you get to try. As long as I can miss the money spent on this hobby, why not?
Could buy me some new expensive clothes/shoes etc, but those are almost guaranteed to wear out in about 6 months, losing total value. That is not worth it to me. To everyone his own I guess.

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #19 of 101
Getting some good responses here!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll have to look into all [of your practical] suggestions!

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #20 of 101
Woah... I just thought of something waaay too trippy for even this site.. what if a technology comes along so that you could feel the sound waves/music (and not just ear damaging bass)! Maybe I should wait for that
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #21 of 101
Maybe it is time for you to stop thinking that one day you'll be able to stop. It's been proven that's not the case. So, keep saving up your money.
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #22 of 101
I'm collecting more than upgrading these days. I'll probably pull the trigger on the HD-800, but will definitely get the GS-1000 and a few others. Not because I need them, but because I just want them. I'll keep picking up the flagship headphones - if one comes out per year, costs will be minimal (considering) and I'll have lots of toys to play with.

With amps, I'll probably build one every year or so just for fun or if a particular tube or circuit interests me. Don't really need any more, but they are interesting and lots of fun to work on.

More or less done with sources, though. I'm at the end of the road with the vinyl rig - I'll just be replacing the DL103 when it wears out - and there's zero chance I'll sell the Scott 350B (tubed FM tuner). Digital gear will be replaced when it breaks. I won't spend much on digital since it mostly sounds the same to me.

Also, I abandoned plans to build an electrostat rig and trying balanced. I don't hate electrostats (far from it), but they don't give me more satisfaction than dynamic. Neither does balanced.

I do plan to spend some time and money on audio racks and a headphone cabinet. Those I do need. Still need more music, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #24 of 101
After my Compass arrives, I'm for a while. I may purchase K702 though in the future, or another amp and just use the compass as a DAC, but that will probably be next year.

Won't upgrade again until I have my other financials and life in order. Doesn't make sense since I have been moving so often in the past years and I don't think that will stop for another few years.

Its about the music, as long as I'm enjoying my music, my gear, I'm happy.

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #25 of 101
Proline 750 for me. I just ordered an 900 but I don´t in any way expect them to be more bang for the buck so to speak. I could spend the rest of my life with the 750 no problem.

there is not a chance on earth these 1500$ headphones sounds 10 times better... Maybe 10 % and you will get frustrated that you spent so much money for so little gain and they still aren´t perfect... Prejudgements but I am not buying one to proove my point. I suspect hte 900 will proove my point for less money
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #27 of 101
I think that as long as this is your hobby it's fine to be constantly upgrading and getting what you want - provided it doesn't completely ruin your bank account, of course!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm still completely new at this and I think it's something that will be more of a casual experience for me. I'm quite happy with my first purchase (ESW9s, I think I may have overshot my not-so-discerning ear), and there's no way I can upgrade without breaking the bank (poor college student) or losing the portability. That said, I definitely think that I could see myself diversifying the future (getting a pair of Grados, some budget IEMs, etc) so I can have different 'audio experiences.' My mother would probably compare it to dating - gotta try a lot of things before you realize what you want
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #28 of 101
Once i get my VHP-2/VAC-1 ill prob delete my Head-fi account... just so i dont get any idea's of upgrading lol
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #29 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Townyj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once i get my VHP-2/VAC-1 ill prob delete my Head-fi account... just so i dont get any idea's of upgrading lol
wink.gif

I totally feel ya there
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back