When I have a listening session I like to........
Feb 2, 2012 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nmxdaven

100+ Head-Fier
Sit in the couch with a cigar and glass of brandy. Something I picked up from my father. My wife makes me open the doors to my study to let the smoke out but other wise its the same thing he used to do. Sit back for an hour or two and just relax.

Everybody else pipe in!

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 14
Sit back and relax with a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 14
Beers, and solitude.  No internet, no TV, no nothing but me and the headphone amp, headphones, music, and a beer or five.

I'm going to that place right now!

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Heya,

I have a glass of wine or a cold beer and I smoke a briar pipe. I'm usually just in my study browsing the web while I do it.

What kind of cigars do you enjoy?

Very best,

Top five in order,

1. Don Pepin Garcia Lancero
2. Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill
3. Juan Lopez Epicure No. 1
4. H. Upmann Magnum
5. Tatuaje Cabinet Taino

I've wanted to try my hand at a good pipe. What tobacco do you prefer?

Quote:
Beers, and solitude.  No internet, no TV, no nothing but me and the headphone amp, headphones, music, and a beer or five.

I'm going to that place right now!

Thats exactly what I love. I'm in front of a computer or on the phone or watching stock prices 10 hours a day. Those few hours with just me and my gear are magical at the end of a long day.

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:

Top five in order,

1. Don Pepin Garcia Lancero
2. Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill
3. Juan Lopez Epicure No. 1
4. H. Upmann Magnum
5. Tatuaje Cabinet Taino

I've wanted to try my hand at a good pipe. What tobacco do you prefer?

Nice. I used to smoke cigars and enjoyed it, but moved to pipes for the collection factor as I just like to look at them. Anyhow, I have a wide range of tobacco's, but without using names and referring more to simply which tobaccos, I really like red virginias and black cavendishes. So tobaccos that I have that I enjoy are Dutch Masters Bourbon Cavendish, Peterson Gold Blend, Astley's No 88, Rattray's Old Growie, Paladin Black Cherry, Carter Hall, and some Frog Morton. I get most of it from here. I like to keep watch on estate pipes here. Sometimes you can scalp a really nice estate pipe in the $40 range, and then just pick up a few tins of tobacco or some bulk and you're set for a good time.

I enjoy a good cab-sav, and enjoy amberbach.

Need a good club chair though... always looking for the right one.

Maybe one like that.
tongue_smile.gif

Very best,

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Nice. I used to smoke cigars and enjoyed it, but moved to pipes for the collection factor as I just like to look at them. Anyhow, I have a wide range of tobacco's, but without using names and referring more to simply which tobaccos, I really like red virginias and black cavendishes. So tobaccos that I have that I enjoy are Dutch Masters Bourbon Cavendish, Peterson Gold Blend, Astley's No 88, Rattray's Old Growie, Paladin Black Cherry, Carter Hall, and some Frog Morton. I get most of it from here. I like to keep watch on estate pipes here. Sometimes you can scalp a really nice estate pipe in the $40 range, and then just pick up a few tins of tobacco or some bulk and you're set for a good time.

I enjoy a good cab-sav, and enjoy amberbach.

Need a good club chair though... always looking for the right one.

Maybe one like that.
tongue_smile.gif

Very best,

Thanks for the links! Just purchased my first pipe and a few of their sampler kits to see what I like.

Quote:
I like to crack open a good red or two select my favorite vinyl and lounge on my antique chesterfield couch.

God I wish I had a chesterfeild. Lucky man. They make some stunning pieces.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 14
Is this a drinking and smoking thread? If so then I like to swill a bottle or two of Yuenglin. Good stuff. I'd really to move my listen station to my home theater room so that I can get out front in front this damned computer. I work on pc's all day and I come home and sit right back in front of one because that's where the good stuff is. 
L3000.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
God I wish I had a Chesterfield. Lucky man. They make some stunning pieces.

I was so lucky, someone was throwing it out...!

I couldn't believe my luck. Its a dark green 3 seater, very worn (1980s I think) but no tears at all.

So comfortable its untrue.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I was so lucky, someone was throwing it out...!

I couldn't believe my luck. Its a dark green 3 seater, very worn (1980s I think) but no tears at all.

So comfortable its untrue.

I'd say! Try getting a good condition one for less than a grand on ebay...

Quote:
Awesome. Which pipe caught your eye?

Very best,

I picked up a Leonessa.

Nothing expensive. Just something to see how I like it. Then I snatched a southern comfort, stricktly english, and the dark side samplers just to try out a few different blends to see what catches me. I'll be sure to report back.

Feb 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
I picked up a Leonessa.

Nothing expensive. Just something to see how I like it. Then I snatched a southern comfort, stricktly english, and the dark side samplers just to try out a few different blends to see what catches me. I'll be sure to report back.

Nice! The beauty with pipes is that you don't need expensive pipes. A simple pipe does the same job as a fancy $1500 hand carved collector's piece. In fact, most of the crazy pipes just don't even smoke that great. It's all about how it feels on your jaw. That straight pipe is a great start to a wonderful new hobby. Make sure and get youself a reemer tool and tamper tool (or get an all-in-one tool). Packing your bowl is going to be the biggest difference between a good smoke and a chore. There's a lot of methods, so definitely look some up and give a few a try. I prefer the "family" approach myself. Basically, fill the bowl from bottom up loosely, then lightly pack it down (this is the child of the family, not a lot of force). Fill it again loosely, then pack it down again, this time a little more forcefully (this is the mother of the family). Lastly fill it one more time loosely, then pack it firmly (this is the father of the family). It will give you a nice long smoke (10~15 minutes if you puff often, without a single relight when you get good at timing your draws; upwards of 25~30 minutes on something if you really pace your draw times while keeping it lit). It takes practice, but I'm probably preaching the choir here since you're well into that stuff with the cigars. Anyhow, bowl packing and draw times are the biggest things to learn and practice. You'll find your own way of course.

Here's some of my pipes & tobacco:

Happy smoking!

Very best,

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Is this a drinking and smoking thread? If so then I like to swill a bottle or two of Yuenglin. Good stuff. I'd really to move my listen station to my home theater room so that I can get out front in front this damned computer. I work on pc's all day and I come home and sit right back in front of one because that's where the good stuff is. 
L3000.gif

From the looks of it, yes!

I feel the same way. No phone, no computer, no tv, just music.

Quote:

Nice! The beauty with pipes is that you don't need expensive pipes. A simple pipe does the same job as a fancy $1500 hand carved collector's piece. In fact, most of the crazy pipes just don't even smoke that great. It's all about how it feels on your jaw. That straight pipe is a great start to a wonderful new hobby. Make sure and get youself a reemer tool and tamper tool (or get an all-in-one tool). Packing your bowl is going to be the biggest difference between a good smoke and a chore. There's a lot of methods, so definitely look some up and give a few a try. I prefer the "family" approach myself. Basically, fill the bowl from bottom up loosely, then lightly pack it down (this is the child of the family, not a lot of force). Fill it again loosely, then pack it down again, this time a little more forcefully (this is the mother of the family). Lastly fill it one more time loosely, then pack it firmly (this is the father of the family). It will give you a nice long smoke (10~15 minutes if you puff often, without a single relight when you get good at timing your draws; upwards of 25~30 minutes on something if you really pace your draw times while keeping it lit). It takes practice, but I'm probably preaching the choir here since you're well into that stuff with the cigars. Anyhow, bowl packing and draw times are the biggest things to learn and practice. You'll find your own way of course.

Here's some of my pipes & tobacco:

Happy smoking!

Very best,

Many thanks for the tips, and that's an absolutely stunning collection sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back