When head-fi people flare other headphones...
Jan 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #16 of 53
You forgot BOSE.

biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by mildewonrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im really confussed here. Who is the one only comparing beats/skullies with only open cans? There are PLENTY of closed cans to compare them too. Its not like good sound changes with open or closed. The sound signature will change, but we still judge the sound in the same manner.

when people show videos in youtube or reviews in other sites saying designer headphones, they say they should compare 'em to grados.

and I am sure that most if not all of them are from head-fi

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #18 of 53
Quote:

This is an interesting idea. Id like to do to it THEN give it to an audiophile and get their impressions.

DO IT FOR SCIENCE
L3000.gif

If i get the money.. perhaps i'll pick up a pair of Skullcandies and a Grado phone and butcher them. Although I have no idea how Grados will sound in a closed can.. especially with no breathing room for the driver and CHEAP plastic. I can imagine it'll sound a bit bloated like with comfies.

I happen to be listening to my MS-1i's right now :p lol. *cups hands over ends with dips in palms*. Hmm.. increase in bass, decrease in lower-mids, increase in higher mids. Not a fan of the sound sig produced.. Also echoes lol

Might try something like this in the future... I'll post a new thread if i decide to
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #19 of 53
my cousin has a pair oh Skullcandy GI's

I'll persuade him when I remember to

but I've tried doing such a thing with another designer headphone, still sukced

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by z50j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my cousin has a pair oh Skullcandy GI's

I'll persuade him when I remember to

but I've tried doing such a thing with another designer headphone, still sukced

Tried modifying the walls of the headphone? Hmm.. although .. such as skullcandy's housing cant be any good. I mean.. it is FLIMSY plastic which must have terrible reverberation issues.. Perhaps i'm looking at a dead end without spending more than i'd like
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 53
I thought of putting foam but then that will add bass

the only way to improve designer headphones is to make them open and replace the drivers

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't met Everyone, is he someone I should know?

Actually, a lot of headphone boost the mid-bass to make them sound more musical, such as Denons and even very good cans such as the Grado HF-2s.

graphCompare.php

Not much of a mid bass boost on the graph. I don't think I hear one either.

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #23 of 53
Wow...I didn't really get the original thread either...but I thought it was due to my codeine overdosing.

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
graphCompare.php

Not much of a mid bass boost on the graph. I don't think I hear one either.

I don't like how the D7000 are -5db@20hz but seeing as the HD800 are more "bass heavy", "bloated" etc than the D2000 is a testiment to the thoroughly propagated and recipricated FOTM bull**** seen on head-fi. People tend to think Denons are bass heavy when they usually have a +3db bass hump.

graphCompare.php

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't met Everyone, is he someone I should know?

Actually, a lot of headphone boost the mid-bass to make them sound more musical, such as Denons and even very good cans such as the Grado HF-2s.

Which is a massive pet hate of mine. I much prefer the bass to be even throughout the spectrum and deep reaching.

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #26 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried taking drivers out of a skullcandy and putting them into something else? I have to admit i'd be a bit interested..

Get em for 9$ of fleabay.....called........wait for it......FAKE CX300
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

BTW, I am speaking from experience. When my some of my schoolmates...

Schoolmates... That explains why I can't get your point...
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

This is an interesting idea. Id like to do to it THEN give it to an audiophile and get their impressions.

DO IT FOR SCIENCE
L3000.gif

I like it, I like it...

Switch V6-Hesh, SK pro-M50, etc.

Like placebo!!!! Headphone edition.

In fact, I have a spare pair of Skullcandies dusting. Also, if you completely destroy them, give them to skullcandy and..... they give a 1/2 off coupon:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullcandy
Aggressive Listening Discount: All Skullcandy products that fail due to "aggressive listening"--that is, if Skullcandy products fail or break due to a crazy crash on the mountain or a violent head-banging session... or any other reason that is not a product defect, we will still hook you up! Send in whatever remains of your product, and we will send you a coupon good for 50% off any product in our Online Shop.

Cool right?

EDIT: this is my 444th post
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like how the D7000 are -5db@20hz but seeing as the HD800 are more "bass heavy", "bloated" etc than the D2000 is a testiment to the thoroughly propagated and recipricated FOTM bull**** seen on head-fi. People tend to think Denons are bass heavy when they usually have a +3db bass hump.

You shouldn't sole rely on FR graphs. Most open headphones look more "bass heavy" on the FR graphs in contrast to the closed one even though the closed counterparts sound a lot more bass heavy in reality. This is probably due to the nature of the closed/open design.

Take the HD650 and D2000 comparison for instance:

graphCompare.php

Now I don't think many people who have actually heard both will say that the HD650 is more bass heavy than the D2000 especially in terms of midbass. However, the FR graph shows otherwise. So IMO, you always have to consider the influence of closed/open design when comparing their FR graphs.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

like the beats or skullcandies they always say
"Compare these to Grados..."

well, if you guys haven't noticed, these "designer headphones" are mostly closed circum-aural with pleather pads and are noise cancelling and we must not forget BASS heavy

so yeah, next time you have a guy A/B you're 325i or MS1 remember these are Grados
open, clear, and not BASS pumping headphones. Don't wonder why after letting them test these headphones they'll still like their designer headphones.

BTW, I am speaking from experience. When my some of my schoolmates try on my full-sized Shures they either go "Wow, can I have these" or "You spent $100 on this?" but when they try my AKG's they say "Wow! Where can I buy these and how much."

So the next time we flare headphones that suck, remember, BASS and pads
regular_smile .gif

cool story bro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back