When head-fi people flare other headphones...
Jan 19, 2010 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

z50j

100+ Head-Fier
like the beats or skullcandies they always say
"Compare these to Grados..."

well, if you guys haven't noticed, these "designer headphones" are mostly closed circum-aural with pleather pads and are noise cancelling and we must not forget BASS heavy

so yeah, next time you have a guy A/B you're 325i or MS1 remember these are Grados
open, clear, and not BASS pumping headphones. Don't wonder why after letting them test these headphones they'll still like their designer headphones.

BTW, I am speaking from experience. When my some of my schoolmates try on my full-sized Shures they either go "Wow, can I have these" or "You spent $100 on this?" but when they try my AKG's they say "Wow! Where can I buy these and how much."

So the next time we flare headphones that suck, remember, BASS and pads
regular_smile .gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 53
No one's commenting because this is done to death. Everyone here knows this and there have been so many threads on it. No one really cares for another.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No one's commenting because this is done to death. Everyone here knows this and there have been so many threads on it. No one really cares for another.

but everyone always say "A/B these phone with grados" grados arent even closed cans

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 53
I haven't met Everyone, is he someone I should know?

Actually, a lot of headphone boost the mid-bass to make them sound more musical, such as Denons and even very good cans such as the Grado HF-2s.

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't met Everyone, is he someone I should know?

Actually, a lot of headphone boost the mid-bass to make them sound more musical, such as Denons and even very good cans such as the Grado HF-2s.

but if you compare such headphones to designer headphone owners, most would say they still cant compare

mostly due to the isolation/noise canceling

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... what's your point here? That we should let people try out expensive bass heavy lo fi cans to convince them to stop using their cheap bass heavy lo fi cans?

no, not really

If you're gonna let them A/B your grados with their skullies, just forget it
they'll say it sucks because of sound leaks and there's no bass

actually, I'm saying if you want them to convert, let 'em try closed bass-heavy phones like the D1001 or ES7

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried taking drivers out of a skullcandy and putting them into something else? I have to admit i'd be a bit interested..

dont you mean putting drivers into skullcandy?

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 53
im really confussed here. Who is the one only comparing beats/skullies with only open cans? There are PLENTY of closed cans to compare them too. Its not like good sound changes with open or closed. The sound signature will change, but we still judge the sound in the same manner.

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by z50j /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont you mean putting drivers into skullcandy?

Either or really. I mean... The current housings musn't be very good, although the drivers themselves cant be that fantastic even in another can.

Eh
tongue.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried taking drivers out of a skullcandy and putting them into something else? I have to admit i'd be a bit interested..

This is an interesting idea. Id like to do to it THEN give it to an audiophile and get their impressions.

DO IT FOR SCIENCE
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back