When does sound become High-FI?
Aug 12, 2007 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Hellenback

500+ Head-Fier
Hello gentlemen,
I hope I am posting this question in the right forum.(If not I don't mind advice on where to post it.)
A recent listening session (at the Toronto meet) with the Ray Samuel B52 and Philodox's Massive attack showed me how good headphone listening can be.
I owned a pair of K340s years ago and loved them. Little did I know how good they can really sound on a great headamp.
The sound on Mr. Samuel's setup, with the RS 10s, had me hearing vocals at what seemed to be a foot or two above my head! As a novice to good headphone sound I am wondering at what price point do you start getting sound that doesn't seem to just come from the left, right and center/front of one's (fore) head. The only way I can describe what I am speaking about is to call it almost three dimensional, with DISTANCE for lack of a technical term.
I hope this question makes sense to someone here as I don't know any other way to put it. I would pay more than I really should to get sound that is delivered even somewhat in the way I heard it on these setups.
Thanks to anyone who can respond with a helpful and knowledgeable answer.

H

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 32
when a rig has the ability to toss out those small nuances that build up the effects and natural deterioration of perceivable distance and direction. :]

Aug 12, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 32
$1000 more than you are capable of spending, regardless of what you are capable of spending.
smily_headphones1.gif

GAD

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 32
the definition of "hifi" is stereo sound reproduction that covers 20-20k with no blatant tonal inaccuracies. a 300 dollar "hifi" cdp and hd600's out of that headphone jack satisfies the requirement.

I think the definition you are looking for is "high end audio". GAD's definition above describes "high end audio" perfectly.

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by xinoxide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when a rig has the ability to toss out those small nuances that build up the effects and natural deterioration of perceivable distance and direction. :]

I like this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And this would happen at what price point? (in layspeak) Thanks for your reply,

And you can get varying degrees of the above, so I think the price point varies.

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 32
it's a very subjective question. i think my G08 is a high end cd player, but of course 808 owners probably do not. And the G06 owners think both are.

who is right?

Aug 12, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 32
actually, I think it's about 4000-6000$ when that happens. (I'm still not there yet)

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you stop buying stuff from faceless mass-market companies and start buying stuff from the vendors 'round these parts.
smily_headphones1.gif

so denon, nad, sony, akg, sennheiser are not high end?

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by i has a can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so denon, nad, sony, akg, sennheiser are not high end?

Ok there are some exceptions.
wink.gif
Mass-market companies tend to make low-fi mass-market products though.

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #13 of 32
Well I guess those companies aren't mass market because they focus on pro audio gear or in the case of denon and nad- cater to the higher ends..

sony though... (ok the qualia, sacd players, and 7506 dont count
wink.gif
)

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A recent listening session (at the Toronto meet) with the Ray Samuel B52 and Philodox's Massive attack showed me how good headphone listening can be.
I owned a pair of K340s years ago and loved them. Little did I know how good they can really sound on a great headamp.
The sound on Mr. Samuel's setup, with the RS 10s, had me hearing vocals at what seemed to be a foot or two above my head! As a novice to good headphone sound I am wondering at what price point do you start getting sound that doesn't seem to just come from the left, right and center/front of one's (fore) head. The only way I can describe what I am speaking about is to call it almost three dimensional, with DISTANCE for lack of a technical term.
I hope this question makes sense to someone here as I don't know any other way to put it. I would pay more than I really should to get sound that is delivered even somewhat in the way I heard it on these setups.

You should have sat yourself down with a pair of K340's, an nice $400 amp and been content and never listened to the B52 & RS 10's. ( There is no hope. You are doomed
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I think the term that eludes you is Space, or more accurately the illusion of space.

In essence it is no different than seeking true High Fidelity with Loudspeakers. a decent system has depth. The singer is up front to your right, the lead guitar is 3 feet over from her left and 3 feet back. Next to him is the tenor sax and from the singers left is the bass player behind her towards the drummer in the rear. Everything rock solid in it's place.

The truth of it is is that not that many people who speak of sound stage have really heard that definition in a system but it exists, I was on that holy quest for many years. There is a point in that quest where you hear very precisely placed instruments or sounds that exist outside the width of the speakers. There are of course those who will say it is not possible but yes it is. As is height, when you hear the echo of the instruments bouncing from the ceiling of the recording, not where your ceiling is.

It brings a smile to me when I hear the incredulous tone from the home theater indoctrinated "That's only 2 speakers?" You can't place them with your eyes closed. I used to believe there was no way headphones were capable of anymore than "sound in your head" maybe a 15inch by 12inch by 6 inch sound stage. I now know there is more.

I personally have never experienced the true illusion with headphones however I do believe there are a small number of people on this board who have experienced that illusion with headphones and all the rest of the gear necessary.

You have come to the right place They will willingly share their insights on how to accomplish that here within this forum. Good luck and joy on your quest.

Aug 12, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by i has a can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in the case of denon and nad- cater to the higher ends..

Although very good equipment They are more Mid-Fi, by no means High End.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back