When do you admit you have a problem?
Feb 12, 2006 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a unique worry.

Music consumes a great deal of my life anymore. I spend an amount of time most would consider unhealthy alone listening to music. I pretty much listen to about 5 hours of music a day some weeks. I don't mean listening to music walking around or working out, or while doing other productive things, nooo, my ass sits right in that chair over there and does NOTHING.

I've always considered music a good thing. But think about it. I'm not creating anything, or doing anything to improve my life. And as a full time student that is irresponsible. If I spent the time I spend listening to music studying I could be 1st in my classes. Easily.

I do it because it makes me feel funny. I'm as bad as the pothead that wastes vast stretches of his life high. I spend good money on music and audio equipment that could go in the bank.

Basically I've never considered music to be a bad influence in my life but I'm starting to think I might need some moderation.

I just listened to Funeral. I'm going to listen Kind of Blue now. And after that I'm going to listen to Yoshimi, and I'll go to bed at 4 in the morning. Again. And there's nothing you can do to stop me.

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 29
hehe.I am kind of like you in that even right before leaving to work i still got my headphones on listening to music i bought and not wanting to take them off.Then i come to the realization of what my boss might do to me if i'm late
eek.gif

Code:

Code:
[left]I do it because it makes me feel funny[/left]

No that would be the pot.
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 29
Well if its taking away from other parts of your life it may be a problem. Substitute "listening to music" with "playing videogames", "watching tv/movies", or something along those lines it may seem even more like a problem since you are essentially performing the same act in terms of productivity. Try listening to one album at a time instead and doing something productive in between, maybe that will help you out somewhat.

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Substitute "listening to music" with "playing videogames", "watching tv/movies", or something along those lines it may seem even more like a problem since you are essentially performing the same act in terms of productivity.

Exactly, that's why I'm having a pang of guilt. I've always considered music a good habit to have like reading. But it really is only self-indulgence; listening to the song Blackjaw by Hot Water Music until it's burned into my grey matter (soul?) actually does nothing of worth for me.

Drugs, sex, videogames, skateboarding, I've never considered these things inherently bad if done in moderation, it's time to put the music in the same category and realize I have no satiation point.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 29
I suspect that a lot of people have had these thoughts. I know that I certainly have, both in terms of spending too much time on music, and ehh hmm, especially, spending too much money on music. In my case, at this point in my life, however, I can afford both the time and the money, so it doesn't really scare me or even concern me as much as it used to.

When I was younger, I had other passions, and music was more in the background of my life. It was more important to do well in college and to develop my career as a university professor. Sure, I've always been a music lover as such, but thankfully I wasn't an avid music collector back in those critical years where my time, energy and money needed to be directed elsewhere. But now without those other pressures, I'm able to fully enjoy music and the high end a/v hobby without questioning myself too much.

So I think it's all about balance, and as much as you might enjoy one thing you have to find the time and effort to do those other things that will bring long terms benefits to your life. Developing a career and keeping yourself fit are obvious examples, but there are others as well such as maintaining good relationships with family and friends and being there for them when they need you most.

Part of what may be going on is that you're finding it alluring to be "different" as you try to set yourself apart from the crowd. It's all part of growing up and in a sense it's normal to try to project yourself as being a tad abnormal. Having a certain weirdness in terms of character, or having quirky habits and hobbies that make others take note of you, tends to make you feel good about yourself. But in the end it can be self destructive behaviour if you know that it is preventing you from attaining other goals that are equally or more important than spinning one more CD.

What I think it comes down to is making an honest appraisal of your life and what you are doing with it, and sometimes being honest with yourself is the hardest thing in the world to do. Once you adopt a "nothing else matters" position about something, and it could be anything that you're passionate about (be it listening to music, collecting stamps, herding sheep or bowling), then nothing else will matter. And at that point, you begin to pay the price by living an unbalanced life that will ultimately be unfulfilling.

You should go to bed at 2am after Miles. The others can wait until tomorrow. But it's your call...

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 29
Do you play an instrument of your own? That would solve all your problems. Then all that music listening will not go unwasted - it would be inspiration! If you don't play an instrument, then consider this the time to start playing one. I tell everybody to get music lessons for at least a little while, because I think that it's truly a fulfilling experience. It's fun, simple, and a very good exercise for your creative side. You don't have to be serious - but it's just a really rewarding experience. I personally believe that any music lover should play an instrument and know how the music is being made.

I used to be in your position (especially during high school). I discovered the reason that I would listen to music for so long was because I was bored by my schoolwork and other activities. I got them out of the way, and then I was able to get to bed on time because I would listen to music until I felt tired (which was usually 11:00PM) instead of when I finished my homework and stuff, which normally was much later.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 29
Learn to put the music in the background. Do your Latin (or Calculus or whatever) while listening to music. Make it part of your activities, though not an activity unto itself. Or, prioritize: force yourself to do your work, and then make a few hours of music a reward for work. Make a schedule and keep to it. If you find that this is really crippling, talk to a professional. Perhaps they will have strategies on how to manage your time and how to avoid addictive behavior.

Feb 12, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
If I spent the time I spend listening to music studying I could be 1st in my classes. Easily.

It's time to admit you have a problem when you say something like that. School should be your top priority early in your life and career.

I personally would wonder about the first in my class part. So many people claim great potential, and point to lack of effort as the reason they don't succeed (while stroking their ego by saying that-IF they had tried-they'd be the best or very good). Time to put that effort in and really see your full potential! I'm sure you can be successful.

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 29
Hmm, can't help but wonder if your worrying about this is a sign there are other things going on in your life causing you to spend so much time listening to music, such that you're concerned. Honestly, it doesn't sound like there's anything critically-at-risk, but I would take this sort of concern as a "yellow-flag" or sorts and explore what might be going on, which may include talking to a counselor at school.

Best regards,

-Jason

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 29
Okay, sorry about that post people... here is a revised version:

First of all, there's nothing wrong with listening to music, but, if it is interfering with the rest of your life to that degree, you may want to at least think about moderating how much you listen to. Try listening to music in the background when you're working. You may not be able to do that (I can't really listen to background music while working), and it's not the same as only listening to music, but it's worth a try.

Music isn't physically addictive, so if you think you need to stop listening to so much music (and worrying about it would seem to be a sign of that), you can stop. Maybe you think you can't, but like any habit it's breakable if you try hard enough.

I think by starting this thread asking for people's advice on whether it's wrong you're basically saying you think it's a problem, but you want others to tell you it's ok so you can keep doing it. And if you think it's a problem, then it is a problem.

Feb 12, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
I refues to do drugs, but I feel like music accomplishes the same goal for mer, so I guess basically music is my drug.

But if you think you're "addictned" t omuisc, as in it's actually preventing you from doing other things hou need to be doing, then I'd say maybe you should try to miplement a sort of "self rehab" program for yourself, where maybe you limitl yoursler to a certain amount of music per day? If music is really interfering with the rest of hyour life, maybe your should reconsider how much hour listen to it and set aside "music listening time" forf studying insead. I really never have fmore than a couple of hours to listneng to music each day, since I have too mch work (and other social thins ot do).

Were you using "music" while you typed that?
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 29
Do you do anything else passive while listening to music? Read a book or surf the net? If so, stop. You'll get more out of the music and probably won't need to leave it on so long.

If, on the other hand, you just close your eyes and listen (not sure from your original post), then *definitely* find some other way to express your musical side...like Aman said, learn an instrument.

If you really can concentrate solely on music for so many hours, you might have some untapped potential there
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hell_Gopher
If you really can concentrate solely on music for so many hours, you might have some untapped potential there
wink.gif

No kidding. Folks that like making music instead of listening end up shredding like Eddie Van Halen in a year or two with that kind of dedication, hehe. As it is, you are building up a mightly sonic memory that will serve you in good stead for being a Producer or Mixer/DJ or Songwriter or even just a music critic, hehe. If you find something you love, check it out - there might be a profession out there calling out to you!

Feb 12, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #15 of 29
Ask yourself couple of questions. "Does listening to music so much cause me distress?" and "Is this behavior hurting me?" If your answer is "yes" then you ought to see a counselor/therapist.

Although it is gratifying to believe that I can offer further advice based on my personal experience that will be helpful, in this case I will resist for several reasons
  1. I listen to music much more than the "normal" person so my perspective is admittedly skewed.
  2. There may be much more going on here that is tough to get into in this forum. A face-to-face, in-depth discussion has the potential to reveal much more of the picture.
  3. I am not a trained therapist.
  4. My values are not your values and it seems unethical to evangelize from my point of view.

If you are a college student, your institution likely offers access to psychological counseling. If you are included in a health insurance policy, psychological services may be covered.

Posting here was a good first step. I urge you to follow up and wish you the best of luck in straightening this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back