When did you start DIY ?
May 4, 2011 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

G.Trenchev

100+ Head-Fier
I don't think age actually matters,but I'm curious.It's a fun hobby.We mean audio DIY,of course,and add some background.
For me it was at 14,me and some friends at school build a 2 m. tall speaker out of plywood,and inserted 10 transducers into it.Later,trying to build a metal detector was a cool,but unsuccessful idea.At 16 I've build a TA8210 portable amp in a cardboard box.I dedicated it to the classroom along with an ugly DIY speaker.The school was shaking at 07:20 AM.It worked for months,but someone stole it.
I wasn't very active in age 17-18 though,when photography and university came.

May 4, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 11
I started around two years ago, so age 19, second year in college. Still a lot of stuff to try out, but have to finish up college before I can really tinker around with something other than headphones. Wish I started earlier.

May 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 11
I think I am very young ^ ^
I started the DIY a year ago and I was 17!

I built a y2 and B22 from AMB Lab.

May 4, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 11
[size=11pt]The first thing I built all by myself was a Heath Kit distortion booster for my guitar. I was 13 and my Dad got it for me, I believe he regrets it to this day. To date myself, the first thing I learned was Jimmy Hendrix’s new version of the national anthem. Yeah it was “new” in 69[/size]

May 5, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 11
I fiddled around with electronics from an early age and took electronics shop in high school.

What really kicked it off was finding an old Philco "Flying Wedge" radio in '98 at a junk store. Something like $20 and I really loved the design. Since I had taken electronics, I figured I could fix it. And I did. :) That prompted buying more old tube radios to restore. Then I got into multiband radios which led to getting an amateur radio license. After acquiring too many radios, I realized that I could build hi-fi equipment. The father of a childhood friend was an audiophile. We weren't allowed to touch the gear (and we didn't) but he demo'ed his system for us all the time.

Another huge influence was my Uncle Art. I sure wish he was still around. :frowning2: Anyway, he worked for Bell Labs and built his own radio gear - he was a serious ham. Also a tireless advocate of vacuum tubes. He built a tubed linear amp that could easily violate FCC rules. :D

Long story short, everything tied together and I got into DIY audio. I got into headphones because I was a longtime owner of the MDR-V6. The HD-650 caught my eye as a Christmas gift to myself in '04. I was floored by them and looked around to see if anyone else was interested in high-end headphones. I found this place. :)

May 5, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 11
I have always loved taking things apart and figuring out how they work. I was introduced to DIY electronics by my dad when i was 8 (or maybe 10, I can't remember). My family were visiting grandparents and it must have been a bit boring because my dad went to Dick Smiths and got the "Funway into Electronics 1" book and kit. The first project we attempted was a CB radio receiver that I don't remember actually getting to work, but I guess that's by first audio related DIY experience.

I made other projects from that book as well as the 2nd volume, which introduces soldering, most of which worked. I've done some DIY and tinkering on and off since then, sometimes taking things apart more than putting things together. I remember making a tiny amp based around an amp chip I salvaged from a broken boombox, using an example circuit from its datasheet, as well as playing with some speakers and stuff found during council cleanups :D I even had plans to make some cabinets for some speakers, but that never eventuated and I ended up using the sheet of MDF as my workbench :p

I also got into PC building when I was about 16/17, most of the time from scraps of 'donor' computers, and found my way to tinkering with Linux from 2004.
I only really got involved in headphones and more serious DIY audio when I was looking for some headphones when I joined here in 2008. I first got some PortaPros and have only bought more headphones and parts for DIY projects since. I don't think about the money that's gone into DIY projects and tools; it's best not to, it's all for enjoyment, as is any hobby :D

May 5, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 11
For what its worth I started out building AM transmitters using a toilet roll as the coil former and an OC44 transistor, they were used to jam the radio in the french language lab at school :)

It was one way of avoiding French lessons

that was a long time ago

cheers
FRED

May 5, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 11
I started building my own  gaming computers in my late 30's. I got Half-life 2 as a Christmas present and the old computer I had just wasn't up to the job. So,I decided to build my first custom gaming machine. I've never bought a brand name computer since.

I got into DIY Audio  last year at age 44.  It all started with the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 I bought for gaming.  While I was researching the headphones I discovered that there was a whole DIY Audiophile community on the internet.  The Millett Hybrid MiniMAX looked liked good project for a beginner so I took a chance and ordered the kit.  Building the kit was lots of fun and very satisfying.  I've built some other DIY audio projects over the last year.

May 7, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #9 of 11
I got into electronics at around 15 (taking radios apart and such), got into audio around 19, built my first speaker during that summer, a two way sealed cabinet design, 3/4" tweeter, 8" woofer. Amplification was done with TDA chips. Only built one though---- the mold was broken after making the first cabinet ( steel wire reinforced concrete cabinet, one-piece molded, the cabinet weights about 60LB empty).

The clear sound from that concrete cabinet made me believe to get the speaker sound right it has to be made rigid, one reason I have not made any speaker cabinets since -- to do it right it will weight a ton, I just can't handle such project anymore
ph34r.gif

May 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 11
Got into it around age 15 or so, when I found these forums. I began with AKG 240S, and from there, I wanted to get some amps and the like. Unfortunately during the time, some amps were quite expensive, so I thought I could build one instead, as a foray into electronics. I built (failed) a Cmoy, and tried another, and got that one to work. And now, I'm aiming my sights even higher into DIY, especially since meets do wonders for testing DIY products :).

May 7, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 11
Crystal Radio  under 10
3" speaker installation into some plastic boxes early teens
Large box 3 way speakers in mid/late teens - these went to college with me, and were reboxed for WAF in mid 20s.

Long break for orthopaedic training, and doing the practice/family thing.  Did build a few computers along the way.  One of the upper level engineering students in college ('78ish) had built an Altair.

Got back into build a few pieces of furniture about 10 years ago, built a pair of Voight pipes for some 6.5 Fostex drivers, but did not like them enough due to room conditions. Recently built a Bottlehead Crack/Speedball with some mods earlier this year.

On order is an Audionotekits L4 with upgrades.  It is supposed to ship next week, so I might have it done by the first of the month.  I am spotty on getting out to the workshop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back