When did Lil' Wayne become the king of Hip-Hop?
Apr 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #16 of 62

Quote:

We got +2 for Big K.R.I.T

I will check him out tomorrow. How is the recording. I see him use Sennheisers in some pics. Low level one's but still Sennheisers. I like a good recording with a just good enough palpable amount of bass.

Ive never been one to dwell too much into recoding so i cant give a good opinion on whether its audiophile quality. it sound standard to me i guess. Its southern rap... i think its safe for me to say they dont shy away from bass.

Big K.R.I.T. is a prominent up and comer. He gets tons of praise in the internet hip-hop world. It doesnt hurt that he is a great producer too.

http://youtu.be/ID8oBR82nnw - Murder (Act II) Ft. Big K.R.I.T.

http://youtu.be/JUMIpz8SaAw - Wake Up [Saxaphone By Willie B]

http://youtu.be/sqYgfX6dfxc - Dreamin

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #17 of 62
I think as far as working, living rappers (that is, excluding working, dead rappers, like Tupac), with both mass appeal and approval of the cognoscenti, Lil Wayne has a legitimate claim to posing as the king, alongside Kanye and Jay-Z, who can be seen as co-opted by the establishment and past their peak, respectively. I do prefer Lil Wayne to the other two, and consider him the most ground-breaking of the three, although Serengeti means more to me than all of them put together.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #21 of 62
His attitude, his voice, his subject material...

I just feel like he's a walking turd. 

...I really dislike Kanye West...

Quote:
His attitude? Scandal or what? Anyway everyone is entittled to their own opinions
smily_headphones1.gif
some of his songs dont sound as good as can be though.

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #22 of 62
In terms of attitude he is like lil wayne but not as cocky. I like his songs, song style and the way he does his thang.

Mac Miller had a decent debut albumb. Many of his tracks have similar styles or way of how it flows which is the sad part. Its well recorded though. A bit above average. Not too much but noticeably better and more pleasant to the ears.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #24 of 62
This is my kind of thread,
the title "King" is just so opinionative and such a time waster in arguing who's the best rapper. I would say Nasty Nas while laughing at the people at XXL mag that wanted to put lil wayne, odd future, diggy, bob and other "rappers" on the cover. I wouldn't want to be payed to listen to any of those jokes but that's just my opinion. And no I don't just like 90's "backpack" rap just most of the rappers I listen to don't happen to be on the radio to often...

Artists I like:
Nas
MF Doom and Grimm KMD of course 
Wu-Tang specifically GZA & Raekwon I like them a lot 
Spaceghostpurrp 
Bit of Lupe Fiasco mostly earlier stuff
A Tribe Called Quest
Jedi Mind Tricks
CunninLynguists
etc.

My point is it's all taste and opinion I can argue for hours why I believe lil wayne, bricksquad, odd future and wiz are cancer and shouldn't be considered Hip-Hop while some might say otherwise.

I don't think lil wayne is the king of hip-hop. 

and Big K.R.I.T. is cool in my book he's making his name known in the game. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #26 of 62
Well, as is the case in most industries, the cats with the heavy work-ethics actually go pretty far, and Weezy's no exception. There's a quote from a recording engineer I came across a few years ago in a book about New Orleans pre-Katrina, The Year Before The Flood by Ned Sublette:

"One thing that always impressed me," said Wesley Fontenot, " was that whenever Lil' Wayne was on the session—even back then, when he was a young guy [he's talking circa "Tha Block is Hot" '99-2000]—he was always there early. And he always had his notebook. And he always just sat there and wrote and waited. If everybody was late, that means that he just had more lyrics written by the time the beats were ready to be done."

So in the end it makes no difference whether or not I think Weezy's overrated. As someone else already said, we can't measure "king" objectively anyway…
popcorn.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #28 of 62

Quote:
Im sure he works at this. You cant just half ***** something like superfame.

I'm certain there are exceptions that would surprise both of us, though probably not in hip-hop…the odds are kinda against you making it on a rather base level…

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #29 of 62
Yall should look past kanye's social life. His music is not necessarily ground breaking as he is more of a copy from indie and underground music and bring it to the mainstream type yet he has influenced and moved the genre forward.

Jay-z is just someone i cant enjoy. Seems like 90% of his songs are about being a millionaire and boasting about how he is the greatest. seriously i dont think im exaggerating thats all he raps about using different lyrics people confuse for being lyrical.

Lil wayne is just a cookie cutter rapper. close to zero originality. he just does whatever is the flavor of the month. basic rhymes, the only thing he does good is pay for great instrumentals.

i dont know. what ever. You know. LOL damn rant.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #30 of 62
I hate his music just as much as his personality. Don't worry. :D If he's moving the genre to be more like him (ala BOB and the like) I'd really rather not be a part of it anymore.

Jay-Z does plenty of music that's not just 'get money' but if you don't like it you don't like it. To each their own (as with my previous statement).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back