When and how to "rightsize" the stable...
Nov 23, 2008 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ph0rk

Headphoneus Supremus
TL;DR version: How do others come to decisions about which headphones to keep and which to let go when you've (for whatever reason) already decided that something must go?

As I sit at my desk and finish moving some things about from drawer to drawer, I notice I have arrayed about me no less than 5 IEMs, 4 full size closed cans and 2 full size open cans, not counting those boxed for sales that fell through and are forgotten (HD280, a-250, I'm looking at you), or donated to keeping the lady friend happy (HD590).

As fun as collecting can be, it isn't really my bag. I love trying out new stuff (who doesn't?), but I tend to prefer to keep things minimal if I can - that isn't to say lofi, but one pair of closed and one pair of open phones is a stretch, even. Two ears and all that. The special lady and I are committed to living in an urban condo, and part of that means shedding as much clutter as possible - space is waste.

Also: I hate selling stuff. I don't like to negotiate - I tend to let things go for less than I can get for them. I dislike the futzing necessary to be a responsible seller (I'd rather not be any other kind), and the money isn't critical, so the stuff sits on shelves or in drawers.

To add to the difficulty, I'm a bit torn on what to let go of. So, I probably only need one pair of open phones - do I keep the HD650 or the K701? Do I even need open headphones at all? (The dehumidifier and AC in my current apartment make open phones a pain to use, but that is temporary).

I only need one pair of closed phones at home (DT250 lives happily at the office), and I think I can get rid of the DT770 with a clear conscience, but what if I want to hang on to the HD25 for travel later? The K271s clearly superior in most ways, but the HD25 has a certain fun-ness to the sound the k271 lacks. Often as I listen to either I end up missing the DT250's, funny as that sounds.

So: How do others come to decisions about which headphones to keep and which to let go when you've (for whatever reason) already decided that something must go?

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 9
I sold the headphones I didn't like enough to keep.
So after a lot of trial and error, I now own a closed headphone and a open headphone, who both sounds great.
And a open K140, just because they were so cheap, couldn't resist.
I'm still not sure wether I want to keep that one or not.

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 9
I've not been able to sell any of my headphones. The furthest I've gone is giving a pair to relatives. And I'm not a collector, I just like to listen to them, maybe just once in a while, but that's enough enjoyment to keep them all. As far as I don't need the money badly, it's something I hope to be able to do in the future.

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Actually hunting for at least two more cans, maybe just the one depending on how much the cost, but I'll also be selling off my k701's and A900's if my girlfriend prefers my x700's.
I hate to part with my AKG's but I'm ready to move on and try new things.
One recommendation, selling off the AKG's, Beyer, and Senn's, maybe a couple others, and purchasing one Uber can? (evil)

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So: How do others come to decisions about which headphones to keep and which to let go when you've (for whatever reason) already decided that something must go?

You know, the more I get into this hobby (I've only been at it for a year), I realize that I need more than one pair of cans. It seems like I enjoy certain cans for specific reasons and tasks. That said, I also realize what sound I like. It's hard to tell anyone to get rid of anything that they happen to like. Invariably, as soon as you sell a pair, you realize you may have wanted to keep them more than you thought. I'm moving overseas soon and figured I could only take 1 pair of full-size cans with me. So which did I keep? How about all 3 pairs! Now I'm trying to figure out how to carry them all. Stupid headphones, making my life difficult!
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

I've only sold one pair of headphones, and those were ones I had multiple pairs of. I have sold a little bit of gear, but not much.

I've drawn the line at whether the item would be easy to replace. I don't plan to sell any headphones in the forseeable future, but if I had to, I'd sell what I could easily get again. As much as I love the HD-600, HD-650, DT880, etc., I could get always get another pair if I wanted to. Something like the HP-2 only comes up occasionally and sells quickly, so I'd hang onto those.

So if you're not using them much and can get them again, go ahead and sell. If you find yourself really missing them, you can get them again. If not, then you're better off having sold.

Nov 23, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

or donated to keeping the lady friend happy (HD590).

Didn't catch that the first read around. HA!
I know the feeling, I've been hiding my new Beyers just to keep her from saying anything, like she did when I got the JVC's.
Not that she tells me what I can buy and not, just better to avoid the topic if at all possible, and giving her ammo when I say something that apparently isn't funny. I think you all know what I mean.

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 9
I usually just keep my headphones, and kept going up wards... Personally i would have something that for portable walking around that type, and a fullsize for home or road if i feel brave enough. Its mostly driven by the desire for sound clarity.

Although i found that i also need an Open headphone just to see how good they are as most of mine are closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back