Wheeling and Dealing on Head-Fi?
Jul 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

500+ Head-Fier
Hey folks, am I the only one that's noticing something odd in the "for sale" forums - it seems that there are a certain number of persons who have engaged in a large number of sales, and somehow, I just get the feeling they're not so much hobbyists as using the forum to conduct business on the side.  Check out some of the folks with number like 15 deals who now "WTB" pricey items, sometimes in quantity, and then, almost as quickly, turn them around and resell them.   While there are of course legit folks who just want to try out different gear, I just can't help but get the feeling that others - typically with very low post totals on head-fi, but not in every case - are abusing the process.   It sucks when you're browsing the for sale ads and you see posts saying "WTB any quantity" or similar.   

I'm just wondering, are the mods looking into this?  Or is this purely my imagination?

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #2 of 8
I haven't seen any of those "buy in any quantity" posts.

I did get ripped off by one user in new zealand though, I traded him an ATH CM700 BW for a Zune HD 16GB, and I sent him the CM700 and then he disappeared completely, shame, don't really know what to do Lol, I guess next time when I "trade" something I won't just trust a stranger and I'll do a paypal transaction anyway (I buy your stuff, you buy mine) so then there's a record of it, the drawback then is you have to pay paypal fee's :/ I hate dishonest people, oh well?

His username is toby5678910

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 8
I've seen, at least once (I was thinking more than once, but I may be wrong) someone wanting to buy (if I can recall correctly) a vintage RS-1 but adding "any quantity" to the ad.  But what got me to start this thread is just that I see quite often a few relatively low number posters who have 10+ or whatever transactions - and often the highest end stuff, but very few other posts at all on head-fi.   Just buy and sell (with one or two exceptions).  I realize this is difficult to prove, and maybe I'm just being overly suspicious, but I just have a feeling not all these folks are simply trying out the gear.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 8
It's unfortunate,  but bound to happen to a certain degree.  
frown.gif

If it's overly conspicuous I wouldn't feel bad about reporting it and letting someone higher up sort it out.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 8
Selling for profit like that is against the rules, so if you suspect someone of doing that you should notify the admins.

Jul 14, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
I haven't seen any of those "buy in any quantity" posts.

I did get ripped off by one user in new zealand though, I traded him an ATH CM700 BW for a Zune HD 16GB, and I sent him the CM700 and then he disappeared completely, shame, don't really know what to do Lol, I guess next time when I "trade" something I won't just trust a stranger and I'll do a paypal transaction anyway (I buy your stuff, you buy mine) so then there's a record of it, the drawback then is you have to pay paypal fee's :/ I hate dishonest people, oh well?

His username is toby5678910

Kiteki

If you want to follow it up - I did a quick Google search for "toby5678910".  There is someone by the same moniker on talkbass.com - and posting recently.  You could mention it to their site admins - get them to do an IP check, and see if you can track him down.  I hate to see someone from my own country taking someone for a ride - it's not the 'kiwi way'.  If I can help in any way - let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back