Wheeeooo Blade Runner Special Edition DVD News!
Jun 11, 2006 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

dabblerblue

100+ Head-Fier
Home again, home again, jiggedy jig.

"Yes... Ridley Scott's Blade Runner is FINALLY, officially, coming to DVD. It's going to be coming to HD-DVD. And it's going to be coming to Blu-ray Disc as well. This is real... it's happening... and it's going to be very, very cool."

biggrin.gif

Jeez I wonder how many versions and formats of this movie I'm going to end up owning...

Jun 11, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 48
I remember Blade Runner was supposed to have really strange rights problems. Supposedly a producer or something that owned the rights to the film had some sort of fued with Scott and refused to allow the film to be re-released. I wonder if they duked it out to the death or something. That would be pretty cool.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 48
Can't wait for the theatrical re-release!

Jun 11, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 48
you guys are going to love it on the big screen (prays for showing at cinerama).

the article makes it seem like bl was never released on dvd. it was, years ago.

do we know if the infamous "work print" will be included?

Jun 11, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 48
First time to DVD. I bought a DVD a couple years ago. I didn't even realize it was a bootleg! Huh! Must have been a laserdisc transfer out of China or something.

EDIT: Opps, just read redshifter post!

Well, I HOPE they give you the option of waching the film WITH the studio-added voiceover. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I still prefer the version with the voiceover to the director's cut without it. The voiceover added a real 50's cinema noir feel to the film.

For those of us who saw the film in theaters (3X) when it was first released, removing the voiceover was like listening to Dark Side of the Moon with the bassline removed. It never just seemed right. I suppose it's a matter of what you grew up with. Like if you grew up listening to the original London recording of "Jesus Christ Superstar," the movie soundtrack, or the later Broadway version. Which ever version you grew up with, the other's never sounded quite like the 'right' one!

Jun 12, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 48
chadbang,
i remember thinking the voiceover sounded cheesy when i saw br in the theater. like harrison ford was phoning it in. i dunno, i'd like to hear it with the voiceover again to reevaluate.

wali,
last line of the director's cut, the "unhappy" ending.

did you know the happy ending on the theatrical version contained shots from "the shining"?

Jun 12, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
chadbang,
i remember thinking the voiceover sounded cheesy when i saw br in the theater. like harrison ford was phoning it in. i dunno, i'd like to hear it with the voiceover again to reevaluate.

I'd always heard Ford did it that poorly on purpose out of his own dislike of the voiceover lines, to try to get it taken out of the film. Could just be rumor though, it's been so long since I've really heard or seen anything about the film, besides just watching it.

Jun 12, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #10 of 48
Was Blade Runner never released on DVD in teh States then or something? Because I've just spent a few minutes going through my DVD collection to make sure and yes, I've got Blade Runner - Directors Cut. Official Warner Bros. release here in the UK. Admittedly it only has the film (with subtitles in about 12 different languages - what a bonus!!)

So was released here in the UK

Jun 12, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 48
I'm looking forward to the release in the UK. The version of the directors cut I have on DVD isn't as good as the theatrical version I have on VHS. There's something missing without the voiceover.

B

PS, just placed an request on Play.com to be informed when Blade Runner: The Final Cut is released

Jun 12, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 48
i have the director's cut on DVD. i quite like it... better than the original theatrical release, at least (as far as i remember it).

looking forward to seeing the "final cut."

Jun 12, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 48
i also have the director's cut so i'm sure that it was officially released in the states. i'd love to also get the theatrical cut to compare. it's been so long since i've seen it that i don't remember if it made the movie better or worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back