Wheatfield audio HA-2
Aug 7, 2003 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SENOR4Q

100+ Head-Fier
Are these things still being made? How much do they run for?

Aug 8, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by SENOR4Q
Are these things still being made? How much do they run for?

They are no longer made. I believe the original retail was around $900. They are rarely seen for sale.

Aug 8, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 16
You should wait for Headroom's upcoming tube amplifiers. There will apparently be several models, each designed by Pete Millett, the designer of the Wheatfield HA-1 and HA-2.

Aug 8, 2003 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Keep looking, they are out there! I just picked one up used, in mint condition.
It's a wonderful sounding amp with my HD580. Now the fun begins. I am tube rolling and looking for NOS 6SN7GT and 6AS7G types to tweak the sound.

I'am interested in the new Headroom amps by Pete also. His designs are well though out and very musical.

Aug 10, 2003 at 1:48 AM Post #6 of 16
questfortone, you have PM.

Aug 10, 2003 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 16
questfortone, you are very lucky to have found one for sale. I heard this amp at the last Chicago meet and it was, IMO, the best sounding amp I've ever heard. There was a lot of equipment there but I kept coming back to the addicting sound of that Wheatfield. Your purchase also represents a solid investment (PM me if you ever want to sell it) & enjoy!

Aug 10, 2003 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
I heard this amp at the last Chicago meet and it was, IMO, the best sounding amp I've ever heard.

Was that one of Tuberoller's two? One of them is very tweaked, so it may not be indicative of what one will get if one buys a "stock" one.

PS I don't think they're that rare. I have one. Tuberoller has two. Headroom has one. And that's just offhand of the ones that I can remember without doing any research.

Aug 10, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
PS I don't think they're that rare. I have one. Tuberoller has two. Headroom has one. And that's just offhand of the ones that I can remember without doing any research.

I can think of one or two more, but the total number built was something like 50. In the audio world, that's a pretty rare piece.

Aug 11, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #10 of 16
The Wheatfield HA2 used at the last two Chicago meets is completely stock.The tweaked model stays at home and according to Pete Millet is not true enough to his original design to be called a "Wheatfield HA2".The modded unit has all point-to-point wiring and a full parts upgrade.It sounds very different than the stock HA2 but still sounds incredible.The circuit topology is the same but I did'nt want to offend Pete by showing it and calling it a HA2.My stock unit is upgraded only with a tube roll.I started a thread sometime ago titled "Tuberolling the Wheatfield HA2" that chronicled most of my tuberolling experiences with this amp.

Pete Millet never would answer my inquiry into how many of the HA2 were actually built ,but I am very sure it was less than 35.

Aug 11, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
You should wait for Headroom's upcoming tube amplifiers. There will apparently be several models, each designed by Pete Millett, the designer of the Wheatfield HA-1 and HA-2.

Are they plan to build some tube amps??? Where I can get some information about it?

biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 16
Uncledan, I think they had a prototype at one of the NO. Calif. meets not to long ago. You can look for the thread in the meetings or members lounge. I think it was the one at JMT's house. I could be wrong here though.

Aug 12, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #14 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back