Whch headphones have best vocal balance?
Oct 20, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #31 of 42
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...01-box-451247/

For Your setup, I would go for these. I also own K240M/AD900, both which have nice mids & are very good with vocals. But the K501s are really something special in this regard & would definitely describe them as having a very natural, organic & balanced Sound Sig. Also @120 Ohms, I find they are quite a bit easier to drive then the 600 Ohms models. And @ $200 these are within Your budget & I think will synergize well w/Your system.

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 0404 USB has a mini line out jack and 2 TS line out jacks. I have the computer speakers connected to the mini jack and TS-RCA cables connected to a vintage receiver. It works fine, but I agree, the 0404 USB's headphone amp is pretty good. It can drive some of my orthos without a problem.

I see. It's next to the jacks where I connect my speakers. So I would run a cable from there to the input on the external headphone amp should I get one. Still, I'd prefer to get a set of hps that will work well with the 0404. A decent amp will wind up costing as much or more than a set of hd600's or 701's...so I'd be like %100 over budget.
eek.gif
I'll probably look into Headphile808's suggestion before I consider the amp option. More research to do. Thanks to all!

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #35 of 42
Right now I'm leaning towards hd580/600 or k501 used, and trying them with the 0404 amp/dac. That way I can stay within my budget of $200 and get good results. I can always upgrade the amp at a future date.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #36 of 42
I have never heard the DF version of the K240, so I'm going out on a limb here, and just want to offer some thoughts. The DF has been described to me by a few people as a sort of cross between the K501 and the K240. Which means the K501 won't be a big departure from the DF you already have, and I imagine the vocals are the most similar aspects of these phones. So the K501 is likely to be a different flavor on the AKG you already have, and the HD600 will be a different beast altogether.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #38 of 42
Of the headphones within your budget the 240DF are pretty much tops for midrange timbre. The only headphones I'd say are undoubtedly better in this area that I've heard is the Stax SRX mkIII. I'd say you'd be better off keeping the 240DF and upgrading your amp.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #39 of 42
As far as the Senns are concerned, IMHO they will require at least $200 more for a re-cable to get rid of the "veil" & balance out the SS. Then You'd be doubling Your budget which I know is not what You are looking to do. Whereas the AKGs are good-to-go straight out of the box & at two & a half times the impedance (300 Ohms vs. 120 Ohms) in relation to their sensitivity (97db vs. 94db), the Senns may be a bit underpowered as well.

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the headphones within your budget the 240DF are pretty much tops for midrange timbre. The only headphones I'd say are undoubtedly better in this area that I've heard is the Stax SRX mkIII. I'd say you'd be better off keeping the 240DF and upgrading your amp.

It's good to know my ears don't lie!
icon10.gif
I was blown away when I first got them listening to old Sinatra recordings and others... but definitely not thrilled with the low end.

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never heard the DF version of the K240, so I'm going out on a limb here, and just want to offer some thoughts. The DF has been described to me by a few people as a sort of cross between the K501 and the K240. Which means the K501 won't be a big departure from the DF you already have, and I imagine the vocals are the most similar aspects of these phones. So the K501 is likely to be a different flavor on the AKG you already have, and the HD600 will be a different beast altogether.

Never heard that description of the DF...thanks. I really want to hear the Senns one day...whether it will be sooner or later, I don't know yet. If they are used for mastering classical recordings there must be a good reason.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #42 of 42
The 0404 USB can drive the HD580 and K501. I sold the HD580 because they didn't fit me well and caused some pain behind my ear. That's not a common problem so don't let that stop you. I'd suggest a K400, K401, or K500 instead of the K501. It might take you longer to find one, but they're usually less expensive and, stock, have better bass. What I found when I compared all of the K40x/K50x line is that they all sounded very similar when they had the same ear pads on. The stock K501 ear pads sounded the worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back