Whch headphones have best vocal balance?
Oct 19, 2009 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

lejaz

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm wondering which headphones do you think have the most balanced presentation of vocals within the context of the whole mix. In other words: some headphones may have somewhat recessed vocals, some may have forward vocals, and other maybe get it just right. I'm a singer/songwriter/guitarist who is producing his own recordings, so it's important I get the vocals to sit right in the mix. What do you say? Is it the k701, the hd600, dt250, dt880? My k240DF sound pretty close to perfect to me, but I don't have a good frame of reference. I have relatively cheap speakers which have somewhat recessed vocals compared to the 240DF and the RP21. I'd especially like to hear from those who have a high end set up to use as a frame of reference...ie, good quality speakers or studio monitors. Thanks in advance

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 42
Of the models you listed, I enjoyed the HD-600 and K-240DF the most with vocals. The DT880 is pretty good, but not in the same class as the HD-600 and K-240DF. I found the K-701 to have a weird, plasticky sound with vocals. That was the primary reason why I didn't like them.

There are a couple others that you might want to look at. The K-501, obviously. It does vocals wonderfully well. Also, the DT48. The DT48 does vocals about as well as any headphone or speaker I've listened to. For the price, they cannot be bettered.

I also love the HD-800, HP-2 and K-1000 for vocals. Those are a little tougher to find and more expensive, but they're sublime.

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 42
Are you asking in general or are you looking at those specific headphones? If in general, my three favorite headphones: R10s, O2MK1s, and JH13s render vocals, and pretty much every thing else, amazingly well. If you're asking about those specific headphones, I'm a fan of the 600s if given a proper source an amp.

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 42
Uncle Erik: thanks. Just about every vocalist I've listened to with the DF's sounds better with them than they do over my studio monitor speakers(Event ALP 5's). Hopefully I'll get to hear the 501's one day. Do you think the 240DF has the correct balance with the rest of the mix? In other words, are the vocals too forward, or right where they should be? Male vocals sound recessed with my monitor speakers, but my room is not well treated, so that may explain why.

Oct 19, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you asking in general or are you looking at those specific headphones?

In general, but under $200 used....and hopefully one that would play well with the emu 0404. I've no complaints about the DF, I'm just wondering if there's something even better that's not a whole lot more $$. The DT48 is one I'd definitely be interested in hearing, but they're almost impossible to find second hand.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 42
My two favorite headphones for vocals are the K1000 and O2. They are great on pretty much everything else as well, so safe choices imo.

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 42
Hd 600 does vocals very well,although you have to use good gear to drive them.

If not driven properly,vocals can sound a bit recessed/too back in the mix.But with the right equipment,they sound natural and just fine(not so laidback)

Best vocals i've heard:hd 800,but i see that your budget is limited...

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My two favorite headphones for vocals are the K1000 and O2. They are great on pretty much everything else as well, so safe choices imo.

Those may be wonderful suggestions, but neither fit the "less than $200 used" budget.

That money thing is so pesky.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 42
AD900?

Audio Technica have one of the sweetest vocal I've heard. However many may argue its coloured.

Also I've only heard my AD1000PRM and W5000 from AT, so AD900 may sound different but based on what I read they should do well.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Erickson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those may be wonderful suggestions, but neither fit the "less than $200 used" budget.

That money thing is so pesky.

DT48/K1000. The DT48 was actually made for vocal reproduction of the human voice..

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 42
I thinking of trying the hd600/580, but I don't know if the emu 0404 will do them justice. FWIR, they are often used for mastering classical music, so they should give me the balanced presentation I'm looking for...not that the 240DF isn't balanced, but the lows on the Senn. should be a lot better. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ra97oR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD900?

Audio Technica have one of the sweetest vocal I've heard. However many may argue its coloured.

Also I've only heard my AD1000PRM and W5000 from AT, so AD900 may sound different but based on what I read they should do well.

I think the OP is looking more for a balanced and un altered mid range.. If a mid range sounds 'sweet,' more then likly it's been altered. No, I'm not against sweet, lush, nor intimate mids, but from a strictly professional POV, they could be more of a hinderous. The 600 would be a good choice, but not upto the 48/K1000 standards in pure un altered vocal representation. Hell, the 240DF might still be the better then the 600 for what you want. I did audition the 600 and two things stuck out.. Neutrality and balance.. Albeit their neutrality doesn't hold a candle to the DT48/K1000. They are also the two best dynamic headphones I heard/owned by a good margin in getting the music 'just right.'

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the relatively few phones I've heard, I'd have to say HD600.

Agree with KBI on the AD900. For me vocals were overbearing on those.

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're listening to the K240DF out of the emu 0404, I'd stick with the K240DF and get a more power amp. Tough to beat the vintage AKG's for mids at <$200.

Oh yeah..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back