Whats your WORST recorded CDs?
Sep 17, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #17 of 119
Majority of the ska & punk albums I have. The worst offender has to be Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose.

Sep 17, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #18 of 119
Quote:

Also, Modest Mouse albums are usually badly recorded, but that's what I love about them. Their imperfect sound is what makes them, them.

Yeah I absolutely agree. I have some albums probably not worthy of mention, oh all right then - OTTOMH I'm thinking The La's and some early Shack and most recently Skip Spences' album which are poorly recorded (albeit not in the 'hot' sense), and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's a miracle that some of these albums ever made it out of the studio door in the first place and the sloppy recording 'issues' usually just adds to the magic.

Having said that I can't think of a good excuse for the modern 'hot' style of mastering which most new CD's are blighted by - ruins many a good album. I'd much rather a poorly recorded/mastered album in the old sense ie. muddy etc than a modern hot recording which is virtually unlisten-to-able. Actually, as my rig improves with each upgrade and so recording quality becomes ever more apparent, this 'hotness' issue is increasingly informing my choice of music buying, which is a real shame.

Pluck

Sep 17, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #19 of 119
Flaming Lips - at war with the mystics.

Compressed, distorted, sizzling hot, you name it. I listen in spite of the SQ.

Sep 17, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #21 of 119
cLOUDDEAD's self titled album i guess, but it was recorded with radioshack mics and a cheap 8-track because they didn't have very much money for recording equipment, but damn the album sounds like magic, it wouldn't be right without all the pops and clicks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #22 of 119
the smiths: best of...
sounds like they used the riaa eq for lp masters and never un-eqed them: thin lifeless sound. i still listen for the music though.

queen: best of
again, shrill to the point of unlistenablility.

foo fighters: foo fighters
holy compression batman! yet still sounds mushy and rolled-off. same with the lp.

some promo cd i got with my sony d777:
lots of 90's radio hits, all compressed like radio stations do. What!?

Sep 17, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #24 of 119
Of any that I personally own, the worst by a country mile is The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike. Seriously. I can't even imagine how the album can sound any worse.

And it's amusing to see Modest Mouse mentioned, because at work that's been used as an example of perhaps the most distorted album found in the mainstream.

Sep 17, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #26 of 119
The standard U2 discs are pretty bad.

Sep 17, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #27 of 119
Spirit - The Twelve Dreams Of Dr. Sardonicus, in the original CD version it had terribly poor fidelity as well as a very high noise floor . . . . there's since been a remastered edition which is much improved.

Sep 17, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #28 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by strohmie
The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike. Seriously. I can't even imagine how the album can sound any worse.

That one for me too. That Megaphone effect has to be intentional considering the music. Because, it literally is like listening through a megaphone.

Sep 18, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #30 of 119
Ill Nino- One Nation Underground

Wow, thinking about that album gives me a headache.

Seriously, I have so many albums that sound like crap I can't name them all. One Nation Underground is a standout, though.

Comparable to the rest of their recordings, Dream Theater's new live recording (Score) is terrible. Highs sound terrible in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back