Whats your WORST recorded CDs?
Sep 17, 2006 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 119

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Mine:
Asia - Live in Moscow. It sounds muddy, conjested and very 1 dimensional... Like they placed a couple mics off stage and just ran the tape. Ive heard bootlegs that sounded like this. Great tunes though.

Just about any Rush studio release.
frown.gif
frown.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 119
Off the top of my head, Id' say the 2002 remaster of Ozzy's No Rest For The Wicked. Rice crispies city. Absolutely unacceptable.

Anyone looking for Ozzy should go for the 1995 Sony remasters or first pressings (including the Japanese releases). Anything after 1995 is pure garbage in terms of mastering.

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #3 of 119
I have a very small cd collection, but I'd say Jon Bishop's Global Hardhouse. So many hisses and pops
blink.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 119
My top four, in order:

Ours - Precious
The Manic Street Preachers - Lifeblood (HOT!)
Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea
The Fall of Troy - Doppelganger. (Bad album altogether)

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #6 of 119
Dreamtide - Dreams For The Daring.
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication.
The Killers - Hot Fuss (although I think this CD was purposely recorded this way).

I absolutely LOVE the music contained on those albums, but the recording quality is horrifying... Whoever mastered those albums needs a swift kick in the nuts with poisoned, very sharp steel toed boots.

I DEFY anyone to find a modern recording that is worse than the Dreamtide album I mentioned. I *dare* you.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
The Velvet Underground & Nico

No explanation needed.

Ahh, but the MFSL version more than fixed the problems
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep an eye out for a used copy, it's worth it
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 119
Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory

Great album...sounds simply AWFUL!!

I bought the SACD in hopes that it would make a difference...marginal at best.

Sep 17, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory

x2....ever since I got my Etys and amp, I can barely listen to them
frown.gif
...the music is too good to totally ignore them, though. Always listen to the music before the equipment

sebascrub

Sep 17, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #11 of 119
Angel Dust "Enlighten The Darkness": Compression out the wazoo really takes a dagger to this otherwise excellent power/prog metal concept album (replaygain gives it -12.99dB for the album gain). It's still decently listenable (not awfully loaded with clipping as Zwan or Californication are), but just flat as hell, with the least dynamic sound I've ever heard from a metal album.

The original release of Nevermore's "Enemies of Reality" sounded downright awful; muddy with almost no emphasis of the vocals or high end. It sounded worse than most poorly encoded 128kbps MP3's. Thankfully, they were so appalled by the final mix, they were able to get the label to put out a "fixed" version, but that just shouldn't have had to happen in the first place.

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
Neutral Milk Hotel - In An Aeroplane Over The Sea

x2

I've only got it on vinyl, but it's no better. Most parts of the album seemed to have far too much gain. Although, with that said, it's still a great album and I think the fact that it was recorded poorly adds to its mystique and 'coolness.'

Sep 17, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #14 of 119
The Mars Volta - "De-Loused At the Comatorium"

This album is inexcusably mastered - it doesn't come close to doing the music justice. There is so much compression and clipping, and the instruments take up such a wide area of the image, that, literally, it sounds like all of the music is one gigantic forward-blasting bubble of noise.

Liars - "They Were Wrong So We Drowned"

See above description. Same complaint.

Sep 17, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #15 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
The Mars Volta - "De-Loused At the Comatorium"

This album is inexcusably mastered - it doesn't come close to doing the music justice. There is so much compression and clipping, and the instruments take up such a wide area of the image, that, literally, it sounds like all of the music is one gigantic forward-blasting bubble of noise.

X2 here. Its one of the few albums I simply cannot listen to because of the massive distortion. They must have just kept hitting the normalise button until they got a solid wall of sound.

The GY!BE CDs are also dissapointingly mastered, the volume is too hot to allow for what should be some stupendous crescendo builds. The LPs are better, but not hugely so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back