What's your vote for best album of 2001?
Jan 7, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Xevion: I can relate to Nezer's argument. I have plenty stand-alone players, but the point of not buying copy protected disks is freedom of choice. I buy the disk, I should be able to do any legal thing with it that I want. Making a legal backup of it, either duplicate cd, wave files to a dat backup or hd, or converting to mp3 is all legal as long as it is not distributed. They inhibit my legal use of my own property that I paid good money for, hence I protest by boycotting of these disks. Simple. I am not about to contribute to the already approaching world of 1984.

Where are you guys from? As far as I am aware (dont quote me, this according to an ex girlfriends knowledge of scots law), in the USA the purchasing of a recording entitles the person to use whatever medium they prefer to playback that music for personal use. It is the music they buy the rights to, not the device used to play it back.

In the UK however, you only buy the right to use whatever medium you purchase. ie. the music is not transferable legally. but who doesnt make a tape for the car anyway...?!?

It sounds like you guys come from other countries, where there is a great deal of copy-protected music? If that is the case, perhaps you should go in search of your legal position. As I currently unsterstand it, the record companies could be breaking copyright law in th US? We havent really got to that stage yet, but a couple of relatively high profile cases (Natalie Imbrulia springs to mind) have gone through recalls due to problems on playback. Hope we dont get to that stage.

Jan 7, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

right now i'm leaning towards Wu-Tang Clan's "Iron Flag". until i hear that new LP by Nas at least...

Right now I'm leaning towards the vomit bag

biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by jdstewart

Where are you guys from? As far as I am aware (dont quote me, this according to an ex girlfriends knowledge of scots law), in the USA the purchasing of a recording entitles the person to use whatever medium they prefer to playback that music for personal use. It is the music they buy the rights to, not the device used to play it back.

In the UK however, you only buy the right to use whatever medium you purchase. ie. the music is not transferable legally. but who doesnt make a tape for the car anyway...?!?

It sounds like you guys come from other countries, where there is a great deal of copy-protected music? If that is the case, perhaps you should go in search of your legal position. As I currently unsterstand it, the record companies could be breaking copyright law in th US? We havent really got to that stage yet, but a couple of relatively high profile cases (Natalie Imbrulia springs to mind) have gone through recalls due to problems on playback. Hope we dont get to that stage.

Here in the US the RIAA has been expermenting with copy protected CDs that will not playback on DVD players, Computers, etc. This of course means I can't digitally rip the audio into my MP3 player. No doubt the RIAA will argue they aren't stopping me cuz I could just hook up through analog and record. Still it's a hassle and practice I do not support. I don't buy new CDs until this whole thing boils over.

There is no way consumers are going to tolorate not being able to play CDs on their new DVD player.

Jan 7, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #21 of 51
Back to the thread topic
wink.gif

If we're talking about rock/pop, then I'll place my vote for R.E.M.'s Reveal. I bought it earlier in the year, but got it out last week on a whim, and it's probably the best top-to-bottom rock/pop album of the year IMO.

Jan 7, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #22 of 51
lol, yeah just realised I hadnt answered the topic!

I have three favs:

Zero 7 - Simple Things

PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Make that four: Daft Punk - Discovery

Jan 8, 2002 at 11:24 AM Post #23 of 51
for me it's a tie between "Is this it" by the Strokes and "Let it come down" by Spiritualized.

btw deaby: I like your avatar.
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2002 at 1:06 PM Post #25 of 51
Out of Phase - Animals 2001

This will probably change periodically. When did Amnesiac come out?

And that soundtrack by Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson! That was awesome!

Halou - Wiser

Jan 8, 2002 at 4:29 PM Post #26 of 51
LOL eastsidemetalhead!!!

Jan 8, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by mr_slacker
for me it's a tie between "Is this it" by the Strokes and "Let it come down" by Spiritualized.

slacker, I just got a copy of that Strokes album last week after much talk about it here. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but I'm looking forward to it
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #28 of 51
I've heard some of The Strokes album and it sounds like a hybrid of Iggy Pop, Velvets and some late 70's new wave pop. It certainly attracted my attention but one caveat...

[size=medium]TERRIBLE PRODUCTION!![/size]

Jan 8, 2002 at 7:43 PM Post #29 of 51
Beagle
Finally someone else is listening critically.
Yes Strokes retro rock style is very similar to Iggy Pop/NY Dolls,
and I have all those albums and enjoy them very much. This recording is poor and band should demand refund from studio, really no excuse for this in the year 2001.

Jan 8, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #30 of 51
It was kind of "White Light White Heat" Velvets I heard, with the Maureen Tucker drumming style.

As far as the recording, I think the sound is intentional, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. A slick production job might detract from the intent of the music. I believe they are paying sonic homage to their idols.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back