What's your take on this?
Dec 16, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #31 of 39
What this sound engineer may be true for studio or monitoring purposes, but when listening to music for personal enjoyment, it is one's own preference for what kind of sound he likes, and while he may be exposed frequently to live music and as such know what is neutral or colored, the majority of people have problems telling what is neutral and what is not or distinguishing between neutral and sterile etc.

He is an expert in studio and monitoring applications of headphones and sound engineering, but he is not an expert in headphone enjoyment (I guess he uses speakers).

Dec 16, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
I suck at flaimbaits....Most probably loose out to almost anyone on the forums if i were ever involved in one..
tongue.gif

You and me both, my friend. i stink at flame wars. But as for the engineer, the best advice to squelch any flame and throwing about of credentials is to tell him/her to actually try a pair of *insert a better can than a HD280 here* and see what he/she thinks. It's all well and good to post based on an uninformed opinion, it's another to actually have the can on your head and try to deny the goodness.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
But as for the engineer, the best advice to squelch any flame and throwing about of credentials is to tell him/her to actually try a pair of *insert a better can than a HD280 here* and see what he/she thinks. .

Yes, but assuming that this is for pro audio purposes, what is better?
It can't be open, it has to be tough, easily replaceable, comfortable and as isolating as possible. IEM's could be the answer, I suppose except that they are a pain to remove and put in all the time and could get quite dirty. Also they're fragile for pro use. I like Senn25-1's but they're certainly not the last word in sound quality. So what is left? higher end closed AT's and Sony's are probably too pricey and hard to get. If the engineer is talking about headphones for general use, well that's a different story.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by midlife
Yes, but assuming that this is for pro audio purposes, what is better?
It can't be open, it has to be tough, easily replaceable, comfortable and as isolating as possible. IEM's could be the answer, I suppose except that they are a pain to remove and put in all the time and could get quite dirty. Also they're fragile for pro use. I like Senn25-1's but they're certainly not the last word in sound quality. So what is left? higher end closed AT's and Sony's are probably too pricey and hard to get. If the engineer is talking about headphones for general use, well that's a different story.

Yep, my intial post in this thread stated that the engineer might have been referring just to useful isolating cans for live recording sessions, in which case cans like the HD25 or HD280 or Sony V7506 are pretty much par for the course and not an unexpected solution. You wouldn't want to put a Grado in there, that's for certain!

Dec 16, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
Definitly ain't my opinion. I could give you the whole chunk of stuff he posted.
biggrin.gif
. It kinda pisses me off because he told me to get my facts right when he said that he tried the L3000 back then in 1998 and it sounded muddy....I was like wth?? l3000/1998 ?? When did that happen? So I pointed this out to him and he said it must have been one of the L series. But since when did AT come out with an L series.

this was the post that started the debate:I remember a time when the KOSS was nothing more than garbage. They seem to have cleaned up their act now.Spend a bit more and get a pair of Sennheisers or AKG. In my opinion, anything else is not worth dick

Seeing that he's addressing the public, we end users, consumers, and not headphones for studio/monitoring purposes, I felt that besides Sennheisers or AKGs, there's definitly great sounding cans out there as well. So I commented that it was a sweeping statement made by him.

This was his reply:Ever worked in the recording industry? Ever set up a live-sound concert and done a mixdown? Ever been a monitor engineer and a FOH engineer? Ever set up sound system installations?If you have not, don't call my statements sweeping statements. I have been there, done that and I stand by what I have said.

And there goes our debate and he came up with this:Ah...so now it is all coming out. So next time, when I have a discourse with you, I need to unedrstand that this is a person who literally looks at the world through rose-tinted glasses and likes headphones that alters his sound. Let me tell you...any headphone that alters sound as you put it is NOT being authentic in reproduction. There is no magic in the wires.

I was like, man, its either me or him, one of us definitly's being an *****...

WOW! No reputable sound engineer is EVER going to rely on headphones for accurate mastering. Again, what sounds great with your pair of headphones can sound horrible on speakers depending on how it was mastered.

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #36 of 39
True....But note, this all started when he gave a comment on recommending people what headphones to buy. He said: when it comes to headphones, get Senns or AKGs, others simply aren't worth a thing. That means he was addressing this to the public, to us end users who use headphones to enjoy music, and not monitor them...

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #38 of 39
OK, so now we have someone who gave to names of companies that could make a good headphone. That easy to do. What car should I buy, O , go for an BMW or a Audi. Easy statements, but it doesn't mean the "lesser known" manufacturers hasn't got something to offer. Or it still doesn't state which model suits the application best.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #39 of 39

Quote:
What if someone who has worked in the recording industry, who helped set up live concerts before, was once a monitor engineer and a FOH engineer commented that Sennheirsers and AKGs were the only headphones worth to get while others aren't worth a crap.

Guys, whats your take on this?

Not surprised at all, the AKG K70x series clearly had a studio monitor taste in their looks as well as their sound signature. Sennheisers I'd assume the guy was thinking the HD800 being as revealing as they are. Sure there are others out there but those two are really the big names. Although I've seen Fostex in "behind the scenes" studio videos from all kinds of artists. Maybe those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back