What's your take on this?
Dec 15, 2005 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

razer

500+ Head-Fier
What if someone who has worked in the recording industry, who helped set up live concerts before, was once a monitor engineer and a FOH engineer commented that Sennheirsers and AKGs were the only headphones worth to get while others aren't worth a crap.

Guys, whats your take on this?

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
What if someone who has worked in the recording industry, who helped set up live concerts before, was once a monitor engineer and a FOH engineer commented that Sennheirsers and AKGs were the only headphones worth to get while others aren't worth a crap.

Figure they're heavily biased in that Senn and AKG are more widely used in the industry than anything else. Someone who makes comments like that I automatically assume has little experience with anything outside what he/she is commenting about. Probably did a comparison with Sony MDR-7506 and a couple other lower-end cans used in the industry, and concluded that everything else must suck.

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 39
Everyone has different taste. I like them both and a lot of others.
orphsmile.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

LOL. Have you SEEN what these "pro" types use in their studios for headphone and speaker monitoring ??!

When he says "Senns and AKG's," he's probably not even talking about the same headphones WE think about when Senns and AKG's are mentioned on head-fi.

Dec 15, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlflow
Everyone has different taste. I like them both and a lot of others.
orphsmile.gif

I agree. Let the engineers have their own opinions. It's not like we can change them.

Dec 15, 2005 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 39
I tend not to rely on others' opinions in fields where I know my way around. Others tend to have little idea about my personal needs & wishes. In this particular case I must say that I do not find "pro" or "musicians" ideas about HiFi equipment very relevant. They value different things.

If Tori Amos says "well, I like my Bösendorfer piano" I will tend to believe her though. Because I've heard her play it
wink.gif
- and I've also heard very good players on a certain japanese brand piano, and it was very apparent that the piano was not up the artist's potential.

Dec 15, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 39
I would say that the person is extremely self centered, and would let me know that there are better headphones out there to get! Not that there's anything wrong with the after mentioned.
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:00 AM Post #8 of 39
I used to work in the music industry as a music producer. I have *never* heard anyone making a big deal about headphones for the simple reason that they are not that relied-upon in that industry. You might use them to check the stereo imaging, to get another perspective, but not to mix with, that's for sure. For that, speakers are used: at least one near-field monitor pair sitting on the console and another larger pair, usually built in the wall.
The headphones I came across the most have been the AKG and the Fostex T40, usually grabbing them from the recording booth for a while, where they're used by musicians for monitoring while recording. Hence they're closed-type to avoid sound leaking into the microphone. But I would have been just as happy if they had been Sony, or AT, or [insert favourite brand here].

A.

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote: You need accuracy in life sometimes and headphones changing the music is NOT the answer. One is fooling themselves with such headphones. Plus the fact that the studio-quality Sennheisers and AKGs are built tough and are value for money, not like the others which were designed to look good but don't deliver the goods audio-wise and durability-wise.

He's talking about other headphones being coloured...

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #10 of 39
its a crock a sheee$#@%#@.... ive always tried to love senns. I have a 580 and a 555. they are ok but my god, I don't understand the eq curve they apply on these.... they just don't sound natural or real to my ears. to each their own... FLAME WARS GRAAAAAADO RUUUULES!!!!!! HEHEHEHEEEEE
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #11 of 39
Upon further reflection, I need to qualify my answer. I was referring to the "Pop" industry (whatever you want to make of the generic term, ie. not classical recording).

A.

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Should I even care what somebody else says?

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
its a crock a sheee$#@%#@.... ive always tried to love senns. I have a 580 and a 555. they are ok but my god, I don't understand the eq curve they apply on these.... they just don't sound natural or real to my ears. to each their own... FLAME WARS GRAAAAAADO RUUUULES!!!!!! HEHEHEHEEEEE
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Can I douse the fire? It's good to own both for different moods!

Dec 15, 2005 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 39
hehehehe. thats why i keep the senns.
biggrin.gif
I just had to blurt that out cause the senns are not as addictive to me. I am more into a brighter more impactful sound. Back to the threads topic though.... I went to college in a school that had a music engineering course and they all seemed to use cheap cans. maybe lower end akgs were the better cans they had. I was the only one bringing hd580s to my MIDI fundamentals class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back