What's your opinion poll: HD580 = HD600?
May 2, 2008 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
So we all know the story as told by Sennheiser's parts list: The HD580 and the HD600 share the same drivers. The only difference being that Sennheiser more closely matches the HD600s drivers for tolerance. That given, how many people feel that the HD580 and HD600 are almost the same phone and can be made identical sonically with a $7 grill replacement (the better headband on the HD600 not being factored into the sound equation)?

I'm not doing this to fish for answers, BTW. I've had both and I think the sound is the same.

May 2, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 16
I would want to pick that they are the same, and just give me some grado's,
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 16
I think the 600 owners would vote that there is a difference and the 580 folks would say there isn't. If there is a difference I can't hear it. Probably why the 580s have been discontinued.

May 2, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 16
I think the "more closely matched" thing is a load of bollocks. Part number is exactly same. So, you order replacement drivers for the HD580. How does Sennheiser know which one to send for you? The drivers with same model number come from same line and most likely go through exactly same processing, thats only logical.

May 2, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the "more closely matched" thing is a load of bollocks. Part number is exactly same. So, you order replacement drivers for the HD580. How does Sennheiser know which one to send for you? The drivers with same model number come from same line and most likely go through exactly same processing, thats only logical.

Absolutely... "elementary, my dear Watson..."

May 2, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 16
hmmm i thought the drivers in the hd650 were the same as the hd600. am i wrong?

May 2, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by AgainstTheGrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm i thought the drivers in the hd650 were the same as the hd600. am i wrong?

Yes. HD580 and HD600 share the same drivers, but HD650 has its own driver.

May 2, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 16
It 99.9% versus 100%, pretty indistinguishable.

May 2, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 16
do the grilles make such a huge difference? the measurements at headroom show a difference in the highs and bass

graphCompare.php

Or could this just be a measurement anomaly

May 2, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 16
Is this even a question? I thought it was established that the grilles are the only difference.

Tim

May 3, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do the grilles make such a huge difference? the measurements at headroom show a difference in the highs and bass

graphCompare.php

Could be. The grills on HD580 are rather thick. As you might notice, the curves follow each other very closely, so the reflections thicker grill might be very well the cause of the differences in measuring.

May 3, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

graphCompare.php

I sat around one afternoon running comparison graphs on a bunch of phones over at headroom. Some phones that are known to be radically different came out looking almost that close, which told me the graphs are fairly meaningless, at least to the uninitiated. It's a lot like watching the radio.

Regardless, the difference between the HD580 and the HD600 is the screens. Whether or not that is a cosmetic differences, is up for debate. I haven't changed mine. It's not an expensive change, but my dog doesn't plan on using the 580s, so I don't think it would ever be heard around my house.

Tim

May 3, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #14 of 16
It maybe a stupid assumption but could the difference be the thickness of the foams? If HD580 had thicker foams than HD600, that would explain the slightly lower bass and high.

May 3, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 16
Same drivers don't always mean same sound. ex. proline 2500/750 and ed 9 all sounding different. In this case, the differences are smaller because the enclosure seems to be the same size and shape with only the rear grill being the difference and maybe some carbon fiber for the hd600 instead of plastic??? Anyway a resonance cured could make that change in the highs i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back