What's your opinion poll: HD580 = HD600?
May 3, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the "more closely matched" thing is a load of bollocks. Part number is exactly same. So, you order replacement drivers for the HD580. How does Sennheiser know which one to send for you? The drivers with same model number come from same line and most likely go through exactly same processing, thats only logical.

You may well be right, but there is another possibility. They could have tested the drivers and put the drivers that fell in the HD600's tolerances in a "600 bin" and put the ones that fell outside the 600's tolerances but within those of the 580s in a "580 bin". Much like is done with computer processors.

A question that comes to mind is how long, if ever, where the 580s and the 600s produced at the same time? No doubt the 580s made before the 600s where made with the looser tolerances, but perhaps not after the 600s were put in to production. Just speculating.

Just for completeness and accuracy the differences between the two are allegedly:
1. More closely matched drivers.
2. The grill
3. Carbon fiber instead of plastic.

I don't know what differences these things make, but I do know I have absolutely no urge to upgrade my 580s to 600s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back