What's your most prized source?
Jan 24, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #46 of 62
stackedred.jpg

Jan 24, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #47 of 62
Ariston RD11s. It just keeps going. I've had it since 1982, I think. Any number of matts, arms and cartridges have been on it (I've still got one blank armboard, just in case). I had thought it was a goner when it started sounding weird last year, since Ariston has gone under long ago. However, I was able to trace the problem to the suspension...and the Ariston uses the same suspension as the Linn Sondek LP12. I gave Linn a call, and they were able to supply me with a new set of springs. The table is singing again.

Jan 24, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #48 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
stackedred.jpg

Kuma,

Can you enlighten us a little? It looks like a plain ol' rock to me
confused.gif

Jan 24, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Kuma,
Can you enlighten us a little? It looks like a plain ol' rock to me
confused.gif

So said the cavemen looking at the black monolith in 2001 Space Odyssey
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #53 of 62
Quote:

lol! The rock that makes music, Trawlerman!
biggrin.gif

They are 47Lab Shigaraki DAC and power supply.

Ah. Right
biggrin.gif

It just looked suspiciously like a breezeblock to me that was all.

I can imagine the marketing on that one now...... "47Lab Shigraki DAC and PSU.... The ulitmate in hi-end sound reproduction. Can also be used to prop up the table legs"

Jan 24, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #54 of 62
I know that Pigmode loves his Shigaraki DAC, but I had never seen one before.

I thought it looked like an updated version of the Borg.

Jan 24, 2004 at 4:25 PM Post #56 of 62
Yes, I love the Shigaraki. It has made me a firm adherent to the non-upsampling /digital-filterless school of thought. So much so that I am now warming up an Audio Note CD 3.1x cdp. Its already burned in, but takes two whole days to warm up and needs to be kept powered up 24/7, probably due to the Blackgates. So far so good, although the Shigaraki resolves acoustic strings and the female voice in a slightly more pleasing manner. The AN needs more time...

After a 24 hr. warm up, the AN is showing real promise. It is exposing detail from familiar music that I had never heard before, and its resolution of the complex tonal qualities of the piano are just fantastic.

OTOH, in the Shigaraki's defense, I never did do it justice in the article of a proper transport (Rega Planet 2000). I did do a bit of experimentation with transports (Vert's FMJ 23, and others), and can say that they are absolutey critical to the overall sound. You cannot couple a good DAC with a mediocre transport and expect to know the true nature of that DAC.

Jan 25, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #57 of 62
A decendant (in some ways) of the Shigaraki but with onboard battery power supply, and my most prized source yet — the Ack! Industries dAck!.

dAck!_hero.jpg

Jan 25, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #58 of 62
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
OTOH, in the Shigaraki's defense, I never did do it justice in the article of a proper transport (Rega Planet 2000). I did do a bit of experimentation with transports (Vert's FMJ 23, and others), and can say that they are absolutey critical to the overall sound. You cannot couple a good DAC with a mediocre transport and expect to know the true nature of that DAC. [/B]

Yeah. it's interesting that Shigaraki is so sensitive to the transport. Whatever the sound of transport is that's what you end up hearing. I've run off few transports with it and amased how its performance varies.

Primarily I am using 'em off my Hard Drive. ( almost no transport )

Which cables do you use with Shigaraki?

Jan 25, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #60 of 62
Quote:

Yeah. it's interesting that Shigaraki is so sensitive to the transport. Whatever the sound of transport is that's what you end up hearing. I've run off few transports with it and amased how its performance varies.

Primarily I am using 'em off my Hard Drive. ( almost no transport )

Which cables do you use with Shigaraki?

I just used a digital cable from Luminous Audio (name?), and Grover MK III silver ICs. The Shigaraki/Planet 2000 is my current digital standard, but as mentioned above, I am now working over an Audio Note CD 3.1x. So far I am pretty impressed. You can see the rest of my stuff in the Profile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back