What's your main audio source?
Jan 18, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #32 of 66
Portable, MP3 gets the most of my listening time. Just aout of practical convenience, commuting and causual listening at work. Although its certainly not my favorite. CD carousel deck / DAC is my fave and by far the best sounding.

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #33 of 66
Doh, voted but forgot to say what I use. My comp gets the most use as I use it for both DVD/MPEG/Audio. When I really want to relax though, I use my cd players. I only have a few SACDs so it's mostly redbook for me but I do enjoy a well recorded DSD disc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fixed. Maybe it's more fodder for arguing.
biggrin.gif
Have at it guys. It's my bedtime!

plainface.gif
Seeing how many times you quibble on the topic of Sennheisers, I hardly think one post is considered arguing.

Jan 18, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #35 of 66
My £12 marantz CD-63 with ~ £150 worth of mods
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #40 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
commuting: iPod(s)
@ home: PowerBook

Me too!
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickMouthy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It saddens me how many people use a computer...

What is wrong with using a computer as an audio player?
I stream Apple Lossless files over AirTunes to an AirPort Express, then digital out (optical) from the AirPort Express to my Electrocompaniet DAC. A bit perfect solution, imo on par with most CD players.

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

iPod during commute, CD player at home. It saddens me how many people use a computer...

Why? With a good sound card and lossless music, a computer makes a great source.

Personally, I listen to music on my Mac at home, on my PC in school and on my iRiver on the go. Probably a 70/30 split between computer and portable, but it varies on a weekly basis.

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #42 of 66
It saddens me that people use a computer rather than a dedicated CD player for many reasons, probably most easily explained though is the fact that for every computer-as-source there is, another hi-fi company (dedicated to making audio sound as good as possible, unlike computer companies) edges towards disintegration. I love my Macs (my GF and I have three between us, for crying out loud!) but their for computer - writing, internet, organising things, watching downloaded TV that I'm not fussed about seeing on a large TV, running my iPod) and my hifi(s) are for listening to music.

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

It saddens me that people use a computer rather than a dedicated CD player for many reasons, probably most easily explained though is the fact that for every computer-as-source there is, another hi-fi company (dedicated to making audio sound as good as possible, unlike computer companies) edges towards disintegration. I love my Macs (my GF and I have three between us, for crying out loud!) but their for computer - writing, internet, organising things, watching downloaded TV that I'm not fussed about seeing on a large TV, running my iPod) and my hifi(s) are for listening to music.

It's because were all pirates.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Computer as source here too, for the above reason.
tongue.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #44 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's because were all pirates.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Computer as source here too, for the above reason.
tongue.gif

I know, and I appreciate the smilies and the irony and so on and so forth, but as someone who's worked directly for music companies and within the music industry, who has alot of friends much more involved in the business than me including people in bands with strings of UK top 40 singles, and who writes about music (occasionally for money), this trend is having direct and negative impacts both on the quality of music produced (by minor and major labels) and on actual real peoples lives and abilities to pay mortages and raise kids and such. I don't mean to put a downer on things but I really don't find it amusing. If people stop paying for music completely, music will stop being made by a lot of people. One argument is that it will only be made by the people who REALLY CARE about it, and that the quality of music will go up, but a; economies of scale and living costs say that probably wont happen, and b; even if it does the likelihood is that this music will end up being only released via online sources in vastly compromised formats - i.e. a lossless rip of a lossy MP3 is still lossy, and we all suffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back