What's your favorite SE846 acoustic filter?
Dec 14, 2014 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HiFi 1994

New Head-Fier
This thread/poll goes out to every Shure SE846 owner (the ones that have auditioned it at least).

What's your most favored SE846 acoustic filter element (and why)?

I prefer it the most with the blue filter ("balanced"). Highs are too peaky with the white ones for longer time listening sessions.
Still, I miss some treble energy in the super high frequency range, the roll-off comes a tad too early. Double bore could have fixed that issue (propably).

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 8
Ahg.... Time to go get the little uhh... crack vial of sorts (case of filters) and start trying the other filters again. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 8
The whites are maybe a tad harsh for my ears tho not too bad. The big problem is the little bit of edge they take off of the bass for me. I am a basshead. Having said that, i use the blues most often because there is plenty of bass quantity, but leaves clarity through the range.

I occasionally use the black filters and they are pretty fun to my ears. I like using them when im feeling less critical or am listening to EDM and stuff like that. The ~2db lift in bass until about 250hz can kinda muddy male vocals a tad and the dip in the 8-10khz range takes away some treble clarity. I find that because of those changes, it loses slight detail and a bit of soundstaging and instrument separation. Still fun for me.

I have yet to try any of these crazy mods like switching foams or cotton and wool stuffed in the filters. That could be pretty interesting.

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 8
Still have only auditioned my Blue filters - will need to try the others some day. (Based on feedback and reviews, I will likely end up at the Blue filters, so I haven't been in any hurry)

May 20, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 8
Do the 846 take the same filters as the 535s? I've got the 535s and replaced the OEM ehite filter with Knowles White and it gave them a new life ....bass that was never there before and a beautiful clarity in the treble. I have been toying with the idea of upgrading to the 846 though....
This thread does help push me a long.... but curious about the filters. Just as a a side note I've also been playing with the idea of keeping the 535s and using them with a BT Cable (BTR2) and picking up the Etymotic ER4XR - which at less then half the price and only one BA Driver has been favorably compared to both the 535 and 846 .. anyone have any experience with these MassDrop, now just drop.com has them on for $260 which is a steal/

Jun 16, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 8
SE846 on blue filters with the sponge removed really keeps the treble on point. I'm using them with Comply P series foams. The cables I use them with for comparison are the stock cables vs. a Nobunaga labs cryo treated silver cable and the outcome is the same. Treble is Moved forward. The sound signature is Neutral yet moving towards the warm colourful side. Bass isn't muddling out the treble and the highs FINALLY stopped rolling off. I can hear good guitar picks and chord changes. I can hear powerful kicks. And most importantly, sudden note changes in high pitched vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back