What's your favorite OS?
Feb 19, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #61 of 67
mac os 7
macos76ej.jpg

(don't tell anyone)

Feb 19, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #63 of 67
....the one that actually lets me get the most work done without butting my head against a brick wall. Before OSX one could say that was anything Mac but now I'll actually have to say WinXP Pro.

Linux is wonderful to fool around in but actually getting hard-core work accomplished (you know, like actually earn a living from
tongue.gif
) it's nearly impossible. Either you have to fight the OS or, more likely, the apps tools just aren't there. Open source is a nice theory but it's just ain't ready yet.

Feb 19, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #64 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
....the one that actually lets me get the most work done without butting my head against a brick wall. Before OSX one could say that was anything Mac but now I'll actually have to say WinXP Pro.

Linux is wonderful to fool around in but actually getting hard-core work accomplished (you know, like actually earn a living from
tongue.gif
) it's nearly impossible. Either you have to fight the OS or, more likely, the apps tools just aren't there. Open source is a nice theory but it's just ain't ready yet.

Well, I find exactly the oposite. Unless you're a designer, or obliged to work with a windows-only app/MS tech, linux is a great solution. Specially in the IT area, there a lot of good databases, network control apps, mail servers, firewall, etc.
Besides, if you work with a lot of stuff, linux's memory managment is a lot better than windows' (if windows has any
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Feb 19, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #65 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtr3me
Well, I find exactly the oposite. Unless you're a designer, or obliged to work with a windows-only app/MS tech, linux is a great solution. Specially in the IT area, there a lot of good databases, network control apps, mail servers, firewall, etc.
Besides, if you work with a lot of stuff, linux's memory managment is a lot better than windows' (if windows has any
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

That's my problem - a lot of what I do, and all of what I do for my moonlight "hobby", is design-style work. Photoshop and Pagemaker are my friends
tongue.gif
(I've been looking to upgrade to InDesign). At work I use both an imaging database (both photos & data) and a custom designed data app that also does handle the photos created by the imager.

Linux is good for what you say - connectivity. But in the creation realm Linux rather stinks.

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #66 of 67
I'm a Windows user (haven't used Linux yet), but I really really prefer OS X Jaguar, especially with apps like Macromedia Flash.

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #67 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake

tongue.gif

Depends what you do. I earn my living running Linux. Comparing the stuff I use with Windows, on Windows I'd have a worse mail client, better office suite, _much_ worse terminal, and the browser, IRC client and IM client would be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back