What's your favorite fatigue-free, laid back, natural and spacious sounding headphone at any price?
Sep 2, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #17 of 68
Sennheiser HD-600 (CC backweight mod / jonathan c earside ‘mesh’ mod).
Interesting, so you mostly prefer your modded 600 to your VO for relaxed listening?
Concur completely. HD 600 driven by some tube amps can be immensely relaxing and offer fatigue-free extended listening.

Sep 2, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #18 of 68
Interesting, so you mostly prefer your modded 600 to your VO for relaxed listening?
I do. For more involved listening, there are Atrium, Grado PS2000e …. and others ….

Sep 2, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #19 of 68
Interestingly (to me at least), relaxed listening may be the most enlightened form of listening … the focus is on the sonic ‘what’ rather than the sonic ‘how’ … 🤷🏻‍♂️😀.

Sep 2, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #20 of 68
I have about 10 cans, the only one that checks ALL these boxes would be the Audio Technica ATH-R70X.

Nothing comes close to the sound, comfort and value that this headphone has. Pair with a decent tube amp and you're set.

If I ever leave the hobby, this is the headphone I'll still retain. It does everything so well. Criminally underrated this one✌

Sep 2, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #22 of 68
1693690486432.jpeg

Sep 2, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #24 of 68
Senheisser HD800 for its comfort and spacious sound.

Hifiman Ananda for its warm sound and physical comfort.

Final Audio D8000 for Its engaging and warm sound.

Sep 2, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #25 of 68
The Hyland Audio Jupiter One is the most pleasantly tuned (but still very technically capable) incredibly comfortable pair of headphones I've ever heard. I was incredibly lucky to find them second hand, took a huge risk buying based on reviews - rare though they are - and have been in love ever since. It's also really cool that they're made my one guy in a shed in the UK. The build is utilitarian, not the prettiest thing in the world, but the builder will sell you any individual piece for repair at a reasonable price, and they're sturdy to start with, so longevity isn't a worry.

Before I heard them I would have said ~$700 seemed steep, but it's honestly not bad for how great they are. That said, they don't command a high price used, so if you see a pair for $300-400 don't be overly surprised, but jump on them quick, they're quite rare!
I came into this thread thinking of these headphones as well, and you beat me to the punch :gs1000smile:

It's probably the most comfortable headphone I've bought and worn. The leather (?) headband drapes nicely over my crown, the pads don't feel stifling, and the tuning is extremely flexible in my ear; practically every genre I play sounds great to me.

I wear my HD598 when I need to chat because I have an Ablet-branded boom mic attached to it. The 598 sounds decent, but the cups feel stiffer overall. I think it's the difference between the circular and oval shaped cups, and the oval cups just "feel" harder overall.

Sep 3, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #26 of 68
good stage, imaging, and layering; and a tonality that's not forward or really energetic.
That's the VO in a nutshell. There's a slight edginess in it's treble but otherwise above average in terms of overall smoothness. An underrated aspect of the VO is how resolving it is, just shy of Utopia in terms of sheer mid range resolution which is one of the most resolving headphone period. Almost half a decade since it's initial release and there's still nothing out there that draws me in as much as this does. Granted it has a polarizing tuning and not something I'd recommend going in blind.

Sep 3, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #27 of 68
SASH Tres 45ohm: a very relaxed, organic sound that invites you to focus on the music, not the headphones.

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #29 of 68
Retired cans: LCD-4 OG; HE-500 (both need PEQ)

Current: HD-600 (no CC copper !) on a OTL tube or very potent Class A SS; also a R2R DAC with a bit of PEQ

Sep 3, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #30 of 68

Users who are viewing this thread

Back