What's your favorite BEER ?
Jul 7, 2002 at 2:05 PM Post #16 of 91
(I KNEW this thread was coming when I saw the soda one.)

My favorites:
Samuel Smith Pale Ale (British)/Belhaven(Scottish) (tie)
Boddington's(British)
Spaten Oktoberfest(German)
Paulaner Oktoberfest(German)
Coopers(Australian)
Newcastle Brown(British)
Bass(British)
Pete's Wicked Ale(American)
Shiner Bock (Texas brewery)
Harp(Irish)
Sam Adams(American) - let's say I'm in a restaurant and desperate
Corona(Mexican) - let's say I've already had several shots of tequila

I've had a lot of other stuff I like, I just can't remember them by name.

Stuff I absolutely will not drink at all:
Budweiser
Busch
Coors
Lonestar
Michelob
Miller
Heineken
etc.

Jul 7, 2002 at 2:42 PM Post #17 of 91
great:
hahn premium
james squire ale
boags

good:
corona
heineken
grolsch

goodish:
hahn ice
sam adams
emu bitter

dog piss:
victoria bitter
coors light
red tick beer
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:56 PM Post #18 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
I like Miller Lite, Busch, Old Style, Coors, Little Kings, and Mickey's Big Mouths.

i hate to say this, CRESCENDOPOWER, but you have terrible taste in beer
wink.gif
. how anybody can drink that stuff is beyond me, hehehe.

i like bitterness. i have two favorite styles of beer: IPA and barley wine.

rogue's old crusty (11.3%) barley wine is the best. sierra nevada's bigfoot (9.6%) isn't bad either. IMO, you haven't had 'real beer' until you tried barley wine. it's the most intense, heaviest, and most bitter beer out there.

a good german weizen (wheat) is good in the summer.

Belgian monastic style beers are great too.

unibroue out of canada is great as well. they make maudite(8%), as elipsis mentioned, as well as other good stuff.

great site to check out is:
www.beeradvocate.com

it's like audioreview but for good beer.

Quote:

Anybody 140 pounds, or under stay away from Rolling Rock unless your goal is to get really hammered

LOL, are you kidding? rolling rock is like 4%!!
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #21 of 91
I love a nice cold, fresh Kolsch, from one of my favorite German cities, Cologne (Koln).

I am still looking for a local importer/seller here in the states, but so far have not had any success. Just as well, as it probably does not taste the same over here
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #22 of 91
Isn't there a patten appearing here? It seems that US doesn't make good beer (from the post here that most peolple like European beer).

Guniness doesn't taste the same in other country then Ireland is because that they have to add some extra ingredient to it for it it to import. A kind of perservative as they don't know how it's going to be store for the next few months. That is the difference, and that's why people say Guniess don't travel well. And Ireland is the best place and only place to drink proper Guiness.

Jul 7, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #23 of 91
mmm, fav beers ey. the only brewerys (is that a word?) worth knowing are either Dutch or Belgian if you ask me.

the best:
Hougaerden. they make white beer, special beer (Das) and the finest of fine beers: Grand Cru.
followed by Grimbergen. they got the normal version (just ok), the sweet double and the tripple is up there too (can't drink as much of it tho)! a lot of other Belgina beers in the same vein, (abdy brewers), they're usually just as fantastic.
for 'just' pilsener, Grolsch is the best. Heineken is lame, and Amstel is a joke as well. but Grolsch, now, that's beer.

if you want to get seriously wasted tho, you can't go wrong with Piraat or Kanon (named like that for a reason...don't drink it like a normal beer :p ).

Jul 7, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #24 of 91
I agree with Braver, Hoegaarden (why do they spell it differently all the time?) makes the best beers. "Grand Cru" is very nice indeed, but "Julius" is even better IMHO.
If you're into those heavy, dark beers, try "Kasteelbier". It's 11% and could probably be used as motor-oil but tasts sweet.

Jul 7, 2002 at 9:04 PM Post #25 of 91
My "dinner out" schedule around here revolves around brewpubs with dark ales; I've got one with a decent stout in mind for tonight. There's a brewpub in Minoqua, WI with a delicious rye porter. Sherlock's Home in Minnetonka, MN brews a full range of Brit ales with seasonals. Rogue's Shakespeare Stout makes me forget about Guiness. Lake Superior Brewing in Duluth, MN has a good stout and an interesting Special Ale. And that's just the start domestically.

American brewing has been going through a renaissance for more than a decade. Sure, I'll race you for a Fullers ESB and knock down locked doors for a Lamb's Ale. There's a fond spot in my heart for Old Speckled Hen. ESPECIALLY WHEN ALL ARE ON TAP! Excuse me if I don't embrace generalizations about Brit/UK superiority in brewing any more.

There's something about tap dark ales. The places they are served have some commitment to beer; they usually also have good kitchens. If tap ale has traveled, it has done so "all together" and probably received better treatment as to temperature and sunlight than its bottled variant. If tap ale is consumed where it has been brewed, then the pride of the establishment rides with it.

[size=small]Make Mine Real Ale on Tap![/size]

Jul 7, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #26 of 91
Quote:

redshifter, I've had a lot of people tell me Corona was some kind of pee. I always liked Corona beer, but I don't know anybody else who does. Then again, I like Oly. I also chew aspirin, and think it's ok to reheat coffee several times in the microwave, so my tastes aren't in line with most folks.

sir, i'm going to have to ask you to move farther away from seattle.
wink.gif
seriously, corona is heavily skunked beer, which is why they suggest you put a lemon in it. the only thing good about corona is their marketting. whenever i've had corona i thought of that simpsons episode where homer tries a new beer and comments about a "certain taste" he can't identify; cut to the brewery where several dogs are swimming around in the beer vat as one of the brewers calls out "it needs more dog!"

Quote:

Isn't there a patten appearing here? It seems that US doesn't make good beer (from the post here that most peolple like European beer).

widmere hefewiezen (u.s. beer)
guinness draft cans
chimay blue
pilsner urquell
anchor steam beer (u.s beer)
sam adams (u.s. beer)

there are some good u.s. beers. just not the cheap ones.

Jul 7, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #27 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin

I like many microbrews and local brews as much as some European imports -- I just struggle to recall them by name. Pete's and Shiner are two microbrews that did actually make my list, at least.

The problem is that American beer with popularity and marketting muscle is barely even beer, much less any good. That's America for you, by and large we pick the wrong VCR, the wrong keyboard layout, the wrong chocolate and the wrong beer. Most Americans like stuff that Kelly thinks sucks. Witness modern popular music.

Anyway, I accidentally left Fosters off of my beers that suck list. Even though I said "etc.", I want to mention them explicitly so that we have proof that other countries can make crap too. Unlike us, they don't drink it, though. Every Australian I've met that drinks beer (which I think is all of them) likes Coopers--and none drink Fosters. That stuff is made for the indiscriminate average American consumer.

Jul 7, 2002 at 10:06 PM Post #28 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin

i agree with kelly, redshifter, and old pa. this is simply no longer true. american breweries make some great beer. it's just that it's not marketed very well, as kelly says, and most don't know about it (yet). plus, a lot of brewpubs make great beer which isn't bottled, so it's not on the market.

even so, good american beer simply copies european beer. with a few exceptions. . .
barley wine is one exception. (decent) IPA is another. i mean, no other country the the world would have the audacity to put as much hops in beer like the americans do.
tongue.gif

american barley wine is a true original.
wink.gif

Quote:

Anyway, I accidentally left Fosters off of my beers that suck list. Even though I said "etc.", I want to mention them explicitly so that we have proof that other countries can make crap too. . . Every Australian I've met that drinks beer

the fosters that's imported in the US is made in canada, NOT Australia. still, it tastes like piss.

Jul 7, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #29 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
if you want to get seriously wasted tho, you can't go wrong with Piraat or Kanon (named like that for a reason...don't drink it like a normal beer :p ).

i had a piraat several months ago. it wasn't bad. i think the same brewery makes golden draak (10.5%).

that one wasn't that good.

Quote:

but Grolsch, now, that's beer.

really? maybe Grolsch tastes different in holland. it's okay but i've never cared for lagers.

Jul 7, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #30 of 91
Was that Gordon Beersch over there in San Jose? I'm not quite sure about the spelling, anymore, but they do a fairly good job - and it's quite a nice place to eat, too...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I rarely drink beer, though. At least not in pure form - I usually prefer what we call Radler and Russ (Helles/Weißbier & Limo (lager/weizen & lemonade)), which is very popular in our Biergärten (beer gardens)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back