What's your favorite anime movie?
Jan 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #121 of 134
Byousoku 5 cm anyone?

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #122 of 134
Quote:
Byousoku 5 cm anyone?

Makoto Shinkai movies are all very beautiful and the plots are pretty compelling.  I personally feel it cannot be one of my favorite movies without a more unique plot.  I do hope Makoto Shinkai keeps making movies, and I hope he'll explore different ideas.  Most of his movies just blend to much together in my mind.

It appears Makoto Shinkai is working on a movie for release later on this year (May) called Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below (星を追う子ども).  I do hope it's just as beautiful as the rest but has a unique enough plot not to blend into the rest of his works.

P.S.  The song from the trailer for that movie (秒速5センチメートル) is stuck in my head now.  「One more time,One more chance」 by 山崎まさよし

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #123 of 134
*Coughs* DBZ! or Ninja Scroll there another that came out before DBZ forgot...

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #124 of 134
Any studio ghibli movie of course
I recently watched The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya too, which I thought was pretty good

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #126 of 134
Where's a good place to start in anime?

I'm ignorant of the genre, but the local rental shop has a selection. I have no idea what to rent.

The only thing I've seen in the genre is the Robotech series aired in the 1980s. Really enjoyed it back then, but have no idea of an entry point today.

What would be a good place to start? I'd like to try something new.

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #127 of 134

Quote:

I'm ignorant of the genre, but the local rental shop has a selection. I have no idea what to rent.

The only thing I've seen in the genre is the Robotech series aired in the 1980s. Really enjoyed it back then, but have no idea of an entry point today.

Depends what kind of thing you want to watch. Personal favourites of mine are the three major series by Masasaki Yuasa; Kaiba, Kemonozume and Tatami Galaxy. Another is La Maison en Petits Cubes (short film), out of sight (short film), and also Kino no Tabi, Mononoke (episodic) or Monster. Others (much older) to consider are Rose of Versailles and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, perhaps even more modern 12 kingdoms, toward the terra (series, not movie), diary of tortov roddle.

You can't really go wrong with those - if you enter with an open mind.

Note that these are notably more adult than many anime fans enjoy. If you're looking for something that's a little more friendly at the entry level, I suggest Planetes, Dennou Coil or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (Warning: this is extremely jouvenile ala michael bay).

You might find it easier to start with films like Toki wo kakeru shoujo, Colorful (comes out on bluray on the 20th), sword of the stranger and ghibli, though. Since it's usually where people start. The above are the cream of the crop, if you ask me, particularly Kaiba, RoV and LOGH.

Madhouse is awesome.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #128 of 134

Quote:

I'd suggest don't expect anything, just look at the covers and try your luck..

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #129 of 134
for battle anime i would recommend Full Metal Alchemist, an excellent action-packed show. But for emo moments and awesome artwork, Clannad and its sequel, Clannad ~After Story~ with the Another World side arcs are a good start. Before choosing anything, remember to look for its score, ranking and reviews on myanimelist.net

Apr 14, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #130 of 134

Quote:

As you probably can tell from the responses, there's a lot out there that make up the genre.  Since the target audience is pretty much everything from kids to adults, male and female, there's something out there that appeals to different demographics.  If you want something easy to dip your feet into, movies are definitely a good place to start.  Studio Ghibli has been mentioned (my personal favorites are Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Laputa Castle in the Sky, and Spirited Away), and I second Mr Green's recommendation of Sword of the Stranger for an action-oriented samurai period piece.  There are some "lighter" movies, several also from Studio Ghibli.  My Neighbor Totoro and Porco Rosso come to mind.

If you feel like making a bigger "investment" and going into a series, there's also a bunch to choose from.  If you liked Robotech, domestically you can find a short OAV called Macross Plus which is from the same world as the "first generation" from Robotech.  It's heavy, has a love triangle, and lots of neat transforming robot sequences.  If you want something different than Robotech, it may help to know if you want something light or serious, and how long of a series you want to try out.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #131 of 134
Ok by anime are you referring to the East-Asia kind of cartoon (mostly Japanese) or cartoon in general? Because, I have been a fan of the Japanese anime for a while but I have not heard of most of the titles being mentioned =.=

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #132 of 134

Quote:
Ok by anime are you referring to the East-Asia kind of cartoon (mostly Japanese) or cartoon in general? Because, I have been a fan of the Japanese anime for a while but I have not heard of most of the titles being mentioned =.=

Yes, they're talking about japanese anime.. maybe you're still young in this

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #133 of 134

Quote:

Yes, they're talking about japanese anime.. maybe you're still young in this

Yeah...all the stuff I was talking about are from Japan.  Maybe some animation stuff done in China or Korea, for cost savings, but definitely originating from Japanese studios.  It is a bigger industry than most people think...definitely bigger than the folks who've just seen DBZ and/or Bleach and/or Naruto would seem to suggest to an outside observer.  ^_^

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #134 of 134

Quote:
Yeah...all the stuff I was talking about are from Japan.  Maybe some animation stuff done in China or Korea, for cost savings, but definitely originating from Japanese studios.  It is a bigger industry than most people think...definitely bigger than the folks who've just seen DBZ and/or Bleach and/or Naruto would seem to suggest to an outside observer.  ^_^

I always feel sorry for those who think anime is nothing more than this..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back