What's your best dumpster diving find?
Jan 3, 2005 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Patrickhat2001

1000+ Head-Fier
Last Febuary my downstairs neighbor was moving out of his apartment. Besides some other junky furnature I noticed he had left a fairly new looking Viewsonic CRT monitor near the dumpster. Thinking the it probably didn't work I just let it sit there. Two days later the monitor was still sitting there so out of curiosity my roommate and I decide we should pick it up and see if it worked. After giving it a few hours to warm up the monitor turned on and produced a great image--up there with the best CRT monitors I've seen and much better than the monitor I had previously been using. So I ended up getting a free monitor upgrade that day, not bad in my book.

Also, while technically not dumpster diving about a year-and-a-half ago my (same) roommate found an original Atari Pong machine at a local Thrift shop. He bought it for $3 and about two weeks later sold it on Ebay for nearly $400! Quite a awesome turnaround indeed--although, personally, I think I would have held onto it.

Have any similar stories? It's amazing what people throw out sometimes.

Jan 3, 2005 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 20
man in rich neighborhoods they throw out like 25" crt tvs and stuff that works perfect, scary, yet true. That's how we had a tv when i was dorming, a pretty nice one at that. Lately all i see is junk, my friends neighbor had an apple 2 sitting in front of his house, i looked at it, the nerdy side of me kinda wanted to take it home to keep for posterity, but emm, seriously What am i going to do with it.
An atari 2600 would be a treasure to find tho ; )

Jan 3, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 20
I'm too scared to check dumpsters. After watching a thousand episodes of law and order, the possible contents are too damn freaky.

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I'm too scared to check dumpsters. After watching a thousand episodes of law and order, the possible contents are too damn freaky.

Word.

Jan 3, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 20
when I was 13 or so A buddy of mine and I went thru this big dupster after someone moved out of a house.

we found a bunch of camera lens and old cameras, we took a train downtown and walked home with $3,000 cash each!

I still have some of the stuff sitting around here...I think I have a 8mm camera that I was told is worth $900 bucks.

also a couple of years back my buddy found like 5,000 little crappy movie pins in the thrash. he sold them on ebay mostly for $1 each but some went to $5 each to.
think about the money he made!

Jan 3, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 20
A $12m out of court settlement for one of my clients. We got a decent single-digit percentage of that, although this wasn't just for the dumpster diving
wink.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 20
Last saturday I found a couple posters near a dumpster behind petco after i saw some asian guy standing there with a cell phone 2 hours before. I decided to investigate the asian guy (potential drug dealer) but he was gone. So I scavenged the area and found a couple fish posters.

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pennylane
Last saturday I found a couple posters near a dumpster behind petco after i saw some asian guy standing there with a cell phone 2 hours before. I decided to investigate the asian guy (potential drug dealer) but he was gone. So I scavenged the area and found a couple fish posters.

So instead of drugs you scored fish posters? Ah well. That's close to my best dumpster dive- I walked by the Sanrio store on Times Square and apparently the guy who actually draws for Hello Kitty dropped by to sketch up a few things - and one landed in the dumpster - it was a nice one too, probably used by the store itself to stick behind the guy, since it was on a thick styrofoam board and painted with acrylics - it was of the duck thing in an inner tube swimming in the ocean. It's still in my sister's room.

Jan 4, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 20
A nice working monitor I sold for $50.

A real nice metal aquarium stand- now it’s a turntable stand.

A new inexpensive Acoustic Guitar only worth about $150, gave it to a friends son for his Birthday.

1959 Ford Tractor manual- sold it on Ebay for $15

6 nice glass picture frames

3 nice wooden CD racks

At work I’ve dumpster dove for a ton of electronics parts. Anyone need 30 Switch Craft 1/8th inch stereo audio jacks? Way too much to list here. 5000 10uf 16-volt electrolytic caps. 3-watt metal film resistors out the wazzoo. Nice 400-volt electrolytic caps. 20 bnc to type N panel adapters worth $25 each……...

Next to Scuba diving for treasure in Lake Washington dumpster diving is a great sport. I’ve found over 12 ounces of 14 carat gold jewelry in Lake Washington so far.

Mitch

Jan 4, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 20
Found a couple boxes of expired but never opened Canon printer cartridges near USD. Threw 'em up on eBay, no bids. However, a week or so later, someone contacted me and said he had missed the auction but found the page, as eBay keeps 'em up there for awhile. Gave me $20 for the lot.

Jan 4, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #13 of 20
in been a few years, but i found an ultimate keyboard stand (the expensive column kind) with two racks in my building's dumpster once.

Jan 4, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #14 of 20
Not my mine, but a fun find, anyway.

When moving out of the dorms at the end of last (school) year, my good bud found a medieval-y sword (with the scabbard) in the dumpster. Didn't seem to be anything wrong with it, either.

How's that for a random find?

Jan 7, 2005 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 20
My housemate just found a 3.5' by 9' white board sitting next to the dumpter at the engineering building. I say next to the dumpster as it was to big to actually fit in the dumpster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back