What's your best dumpster diving find?
Jan 7, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 20
I find lots of vintage audio gear, along with other stuff. Very little of my stuff is bought at full retail price. The keyboard I am typing on is from the trash. The speakers I am listening to were from the trash. The amp my headphones are plugged into is from the trash.

I have a surplus of large monitors. I did not buy any of them. A pair of old NEC 21" CRTs and a newer Compaq 21" flat CRT I got from a guy I know. He does something involving asbestos and office buildings, and he gets a lot of surplus parts like monitors. I also have a 19" CRT (6 years ago I never though i'd ever have a 19" CRT, much less one sitting unused on my floor) that a neighbor threw out. It was very similar to patrickhat2001's story, I saw it and thought "They couldn't possibly be throwing out a nice working monitor, but i'll test it just in case" and it worked. I need to get a computer to use it for.

Jan 8, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 20
Not a dumpster, but best find nonetheless....

Fishing as a young boy in a creek.
Hooked the heaviest fish in my life.
Reeled in a old time Tonka Toy Fire Engine with working pump.
Three feet long, about thirty pounds.
I think I whistled for a month after that.
Still my best fish ever.

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #18 of 20
When I was six years old, I was digging in my back yard with my best friend, looking for burried treasure from the Irish (don't ask
biggrin.gif
). I found arrowheads and related bones of the dead burried in my family's woods property which we own.

eek.gif

We sent professionals to our house and they turned out to be from Native American tribes. We sold them to a museum which was the cash that would start my college fund!
biggrin.gif

Wasn't much of a dumpster dive, but still a valuable find with complete accidental intentions.

Jan 8, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #20 of 20
heh! u find monitors. I found a old POS organ... top of the range tho! and in full working order. Not that I am complaining, but hey I will give that thing a polish and it can sit in my lounge room

Users who are viewing this thread

Back