What's wrong with the iPod Touch?
Sep 19, 2009 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

Kayito-san

100+ Head-Fier
I'm seeing arguments here and there stating that the 2gen iPod Touch doesn't sound good? I have one, and it sounds alright to me-- Or am I missing out? The iPod Touch revolutionizes portable computing (gaming et al), one way or the other. But this is Head-Fi. Is the iPod lacking in "other respects"?

Thoughts and arguments for/against iPod products, incl. the Touch.

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 104
I wouldn't know, I don't use mine for music at all, it has a different doc than the normal ipod classic or nano that I have and thus I can't even listen to music unless i use the headphone jack.... and we know about using ipod headphone jacks-worthless.

So the Touch is great for computing, or if you want to reinvest in more high priced duplication(lod)....ouch.

Nice to do some wi-fi stuff on, check email and apps like tide checker, glad I got mine free with my computer purchase.

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 104
Consensus (!) seems to be that the 2G Touch and the current iPhone are considerably improved over their predecessors in the audio stakes, but that doesnt mean that SQ is an improvement on players from Cowon, Sandisk, Sony etc. Ultimately, thread warfare over which is the 'best' is irrelevant if you are happy with your Touch. (If you do have a few bucks spare and you can get your hands on a Clip, what do you have to lose by trying an alternative ? They are cheap - sure - but you might be pleasantly surprised. Again, you will see criticisms, but some seem to expect that HiFiMan for the cost of a pair of PX100s. If I have a criticism of the Touch, its around price, but thats irrelevant if you are getting good VFM from yours.

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 104
I bought a used 16GB 1G touch from the FS forum here with no regrets. I get more use out of it than any other DAP that I own. I'm able to use the standard type LOD that works with my Classic. The SQ is plenty good for me. The HP out isn't as good as my Cowon iAudio 7 but it is an audio only DAP for me and the touch also gets used for games and internet so it remains my favorite. When my touch dies it will be replaced with a new touch.

I'm no Apple fanboy but I like and use iTunes for syncing my iPods.

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 104
^^Like i said, new touch=new lod.....so add $80.-$200. to the cost. I don't know when they changed the configuration-my touch is about a month and a half old and doesn't work with any of my lods, I have four different plugs for different amps. There is a new touch that either just came out or is coming out any day too, and who knows if they are changing the lod again.

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a used 16GB 1G touch from the FS forum here with no regrets. I get more use out of it than any other DAP that I own. I'm able to use the standard type LOD that works with my Classic. The SQ is plenty good for me. The HP out isn't as good as my Cowon iAudio 7 but it is an audio only DAP for me and the touch also gets used for games and internet so it remains my favorite. When my touch dies it will be replaced with a new touch.

I'm no Apple fanboy but I like and use iTunes for syncing my iPods.

I got me 2nd gen touch too, after i sold 1st gen ... and will go for 3rd gen when show up ... I love it ...

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... and we know about using ipod headphone jacks-worthless.

Wait-- I shouldn't use the headphone jack? This is news to me. I am running fairly low-impedance 'phones... Sennheiser CX300B and, as soon as I get it repaired, Grado SR225s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(If you do have a few bucks spare and you can get your hands on a Clip, what do you have to lose by trying an alternative ?)

A Clip? As in a clip-on Fiio? Like, a portable amp or something? Also, I'd never heard of Cowon until today.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 104
A clip is like a Fuse, Sansa, I have one to play flac files, SQ is not as good at Ipod out of the dock by a longshot IMO.

Use a LOD - line out dock to pull the audio to a mini plug to your portable amp...you need the portable amp to at least adjust the volume because the line out is at line level and won't respond to your ipod volume. The sound quality is much better. That is one reason for the portable amps besides the impedance issue.

Edit-the SR225s benefit from amping from what i hear, i own a pair with portable recable to use out and about. I either us the Headamp pico amplifier or the RSA Hornet M amplifier with them. Both are small portable amps and at least the Hornet which is a bit older sells used here alot for around $200. or a touch over.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #9 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A Clip? As in a clip-on Fiio? Like, a portable amp or something? Also, I'd never heard of Cowon until today.

The Clip is a Sansa DAP. It has very good SQ. (I think Cowon sounds better)

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 104
DSCF0032.jpg

I have loaded all my I-Pods with the same music then played the same song threw nine different sets of headphones. Then I played them threw my Woo 5 LE. They all have a different sound. You would think they would all sound the same. Or maybe get better over the last eight years. When you think about it they are all different with different insides and sound chips.
The 30 gig Video has the most warmth. The Touch has the most detail in the highs but less bass. For the most money you would think it would have the best sound? Then you see all these people in Head-fi having them hooked up to $200 amps and $400 headphones? Could I be missing something here? I would have to say the Touch has the worst sound. Strange but true. I guess it was hard for them to put all those features in a little box. I could be wrong but I don't think so. Even the girl-Fi Mini has better sound than the Touch. The Shuffle sounds better than all. The Shuffle sounded a little too warm when amped but perfect with just headphones. The 30 gig Video has a low end warmth where the Shuffle has more mid warmth and the best sound stage.The Mini has the most narrow sound stage but makes up for it with even tonal balance. Somehow the Touch has no mid at all just a bad low end then all this detail in the highs. If you did not have another I-Pod around you may think that's just the sound. I read about people stating that there is hiss on the Shuffle. That is there but not an issue for me.

My list in order of sound performance

A..........Shuffle
B..........30 gig Video
C..........Mini
D..........Touch

This has taken place once in Europe where the art world was tricked into thinking that a fake painting was a new unearthed masterpiece. Because people want to believe it, it becomes the understanding regardless of the facts. People want to believe what they want to believe.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 104
The 2g touch has an excellent headphone out. Its said to be better than even the Sansa Clip. Of course, the touch is in an entirely different price range to the clip, and offers much more than just music. For its price, the Clip has a good headphone out. I haven't heard the touch 3g but general opinion seems to be that sound quality has improved even further from the touch 2g.

With your CX300, you probably don't need an amp unless you upgrade your IEM's. And even then, the benefit (if any) of an amp will depend on the IEM/amp combo. Your Grado would probably be good to amp though.

But seriously...it annoys me when people claim that you absolutely need a line out and amp to listen to the iPod, and that iPod headphone outs are totally unbearable to listen to. iPod headphone outs have become much better now and if you're using IEM's or efficient headphones, you may not gain any benefit from an amp at all.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 104
Nothing wrong with the sound quality out of the Touch 3G at all from the headphone out (bit better than the 2G actually).

Sounds as good as my Walkman A829 without the hiss through my SE530's.

EQ settings are still poor but who uses those! Even use my A829 with EQ off and thats got a customisable EQ.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #13 of 104
The 2nd gen Touch is the best DAP I've ever used. It sounds great, it's slim, and it fits as much music as I need when I'm on the go.
It also pairs really well with my Triple Fi 10's.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #14 of 104
Head-fi is a bit like the British audio magazine What Hi-Fi. One day everybody is drooling over 2G Touch's sound quality, and the next day people find it lacking. I guess it's partly the FOTM phenomenon.

For the price the 2G Touch has very nice SQ unamped IMHO. It's certainly nice enough for me to leave awkward-to-use and bulky LOD+amp home for convenience. But I'm sure there are better portable sources out there, but for me it's _good enough_.

And I've seen many test on printed hi-fi magazines where it has been praised for it's sound quality over many other DAPs and almost always reviewers have found the Touch to be the best sounding one.

But it's always a good idea to compare and use your own ears.

Sep 19, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #15 of 104
I'll see if I can find a 2G-3G Touch to audition tomorrow - my 1G Touch has the worst SQ of anything I own, but I'm prepared to accept that Apple may have made improvements on the later model. I like the UI on the Touch, and it has taken a battering over the years, but the sound really let the side down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back