What's wrong with people???
Aug 28, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #46 of 76
I also eat out of hole in the wall places here in Hawaii. Some places have really good food so you can't always judge by appearance. But if they aren't cleanly with the food then of course I won't return. And I guess you could say I have a cast irons stomach at that.

Quote:
I don't get too wound up over germs. I've got an immune system and it needs to be exposed to new things to function correctly.

For the record, I do wash my hands after using the bathroom, before eating and when they're dirty. Love showers, too, and have even come to appreciate cold ones down here.
smily_headphones1.gif

I got over a lot of the germ-phobia in a few ways. I belonged to a Scout troop that did a lot of backpacking and overnight trips up to a week. Yes, I used the trowel and didn't bathe for something like ten days on one trek through the high Sierras. I was filthy and didn't smell good, just like everyone else, but it was fine. Then I had jobs at Burger King and the local theater. I cleaned many things.

The real breakthrough was living in a fraternity house. Now that was dirty. But I survived and, at that point, nothing really bothered me any more.

The worst was when the mystery hair ball would be pulled out of the shower drain. I don't know who did it, but someone would pull out a fist-sized hair clump and leave it in the shower. That was the only thing that horrified a house of fraternity brothers. No one wanted to deal with it, so I stepped up. I'd go in there with lighter fluid, set the hairball on fire (you can imagine the smell) then rinse down what was left. Someone had to do it.

These days, I do a lot of demo and cleaning work on the apartments. I'll tear out old carpet and clean bathrooms. Dirty, but it doesn't bother me. I also eat off taco trucks, holes-in-the-wall, dive bars, and street carts in Mexico. Never had a problem. I've mostly had issues with chain restaurants and fast food places. But I don't go to them any more - I'll eat at the outdoor place that uses an old RV as the kitchen first.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #48 of 76
My dad my telling me that some of the best coffees he has ever tested were from dumpy places, which used clay vessels that did not look very clean and that's probably why the tasted good. That's great, I am not to crazy about good coffee anyway.

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #52 of 76

Aug 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #53 of 76
Oberst Oswald

Quote:

At least the beans are roasted after it passed through the cat's digestive tract..

Not sure I would go as far as Oberst Oswald , though I do see his point here.

See, there you go again wink, somehow I just knew this thread too would turn to crap ;')

Some folks will pay a premium for overpriced crap, all the while saying how sweet it is ! lol

Aug 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #54 of 76
there should be a wash your hand day to remind everyone to wash your hands after you do your business in the bathroom

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #55 of 76

Quote:
My dad my telling me that some of the best coffees he has ever tested were from dumpy places, which used clay vessels that did not look very clean and that's probably why the tasted good. That's great, I am not to crazy about good coffee anyway.

I've heard the best coffee actually is eaten by a certain animal and then defecated out and they take these defecated beans and brew them. Supposedly the best coffee you can get. Forgot the exact name though.

Edit: I was beaten to the point I think. Never knew it was a cat that ate the beans. Thought it was like a monkey or something.

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #58 of 76
In basic, you don't get to change out of your fbo for about 7 days. 
At most you get powder baths. You get water from the river, trees,
grass.

Mysophobia is one of the silliest phobias around, imo. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #59 of 76

Quote:
Edit: I was beaten to the point I think. Never knew it was a cat that ate the beans. Thought it was like a monkey or something 

Quote:
kopi luwak

indonesian raccoons eat them, it comes out in their droppings, people scoop it up, wash it, sell it.  

It's called a civet, a catlike creature.
Kopi luwak ([size=smaller][size=x-small]Malay pronunciation: [/size][/size][ˈkopi ˈlu.aʔ]), or civet coffee, is one of the world's most expensive and low-production varieties of coffee. It is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and other related civets, then passed through its digestive tract.[size=x-small][1][/size] A civet eats the berries for their fleshy pulp. In its stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. Passing through a civet's intestines the beans are then defecated, keeping their shape. After gathering, thorough washing, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, these beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness, widely noted as the most expensive coffee in the world.
Kopi luwak is produced mainly on the islands of Sumatra, Java, Bali and Sulawesi in the Indonesian Archipelago, and also in the Philippines (where the product is called motit coffee in the Cordillera and kape alamid in Tagalog areas) and also in East Timor (where it is called kafé-laku). Weasel coffee is a loose English translation of its name cà phê Chồn in Vietnam, where popular, chemically simulated versions are also produced. 

The origin of Kopi Luwak is closely connected with the history of Coffee production in Indonesia. In early 18th century The Dutch established the cash-crop plantations in their colony in Dutch East Indies islands of Java and Sumatra, including Arabica coffee introduced from Yemen. During the era of Cultuurstelsel (1830—1870), the Dutch prohibited the native farmers and plantation workers to pick coffee fruits for their own use. Yet the native farmers desired to have a taste of the famed coffee beverage. Soon the natives learned that certain species of musang or luwak (Asian Palm Civet) consumed these coffee fruits, yet they left the coffee seeds undigested in their droppings. The natives collect these Luwak's dropping coffee seeds; clean, roast and grind it to make coffee beverage.[size=x-small][2][/size] The fame of aromatic civet coffee spread from locals to Dutch plantation owners and soon become their favorites, yet because of its rarity and unusual process, the civet coffee was expensive even in colonial times. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #60 of 76
If you are urinating and you can exit the restroom without using your hand to touch a handle or anything else, there's no reason to wash your hands. If you have to grab a handle or open a stall door, then wash your hands. Most people don't wash their hands for long enough anyway. This thread reminds me of a not very good joke but potentially funny. Use your choice of military.

An Air Force guy and a Marine were standing at a couple of urinals and the AF guy finished and was headed out and the Marine said, "Hey, doesn't the Air Force teach you to wash your hands after going to the bathroom?" The AF guy says, "No, but they also don't teach us to piss on our hands". 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back