What's wrong with my setup? Disappointing sound.
Mar 15, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 55
A streamer is a convenience item with some things that can make it more expensive and less flexible. A DAC is a basic necessity. Really depends on your needs and budget. There are even transport streamers with no DAC...

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #17 of 55
I'm playing around with a new setup, playing on Tidal from my desktop. I got better results when activating "Exclusive mode" in Tidal. Chose your USB Dac from the speaker-icon in the bottom right corner. More settings --> Activate exclusive mode.

Don't know if it will help you, but it did help me.
Did the exact same thing. Really helped me too.

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #18 of 55
I'm willing to spend several thousand if it makes an actual difference - I don't want to burn money just for the heck of it. I really don't know enough about all this. My fear is spending thousands going down a rabbit hole without a noticeable difference in end quality. And it does feel like something is missing - I just don't know what based on my current setup.

My considerations so far are:

Upgrade amp to WA5-LE or WA33
Upgrade dac to PS Audio DirectStream DAC

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #20 of 55
Any good dealer will let you trial stuff at home when you start talking that kind of budget.

Mar 15, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #21 of 55
A streamer is just a cheap PC that cuts all the fat.

Just buy a dedicated high quality USB card from like JCAT or Pink Faun that allow a linear power supply to be connected, so you bypass the noise internal PC power supply..
Get a quality power supply from Farad Super 3 or Uptone & you'll be set.

Your SPL Phonitor XE is also a good amp, though the Burson Audio DA-160 might be a weak link. I assume it's sounds digital & bright.

Mar 15, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #22 of 55
Do you think getting a new DAC or music streamer would help more? Hate to spend more money than I have to.
I don’t know your DAC but I experienced as well how the USB output from my Windows work laptop really kills the SQ of my DACs.
If you are sufficiently tech savvy you can also build a streamer with a Raspberry Pi and the Allo Digione (Signature). It’s not too difficult and the SQ is very good. Operation from Mobile phone works great to play files from thumb drive, Tidal and internet Radio.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #24 of 55
one recommendation is getting a more holographic presentation through a tube dac connected to your solid state amp. My HeadTrip and Cipher combine to produce this kind of sound. It's basically like when your music in a 2 channel doesn't sound as though its coming from the speakers. If the dac is clinical and your amp is the same then you are making it more. Need to mix attributes. I can't combine my smooth Cipher with my thicker WA33 tube amp it becomes slow and too warm for me. I use Burson Conductor 3XR as DAC to give me the bite that goes away with the Cipher.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #25 of 55
Hello,
I'd appreciate any help in identifying the weak link in my system because the music seems underwhelming and lackluster.

Computer playing Tidal
AudioQuest Carbon USB
Burson Audio DA-160 (10 years old? at this point)
AudioQuest Mackenzie RCA
SPL Phonitor XE
Danacable Lazuli
Focal Stellia

I can't figure out what's going on, but I feel like I shouldn't be disappointed with listening to music. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help.
I haven’t read every post so far, but just looking at your list of gear, I would say that DAC is your weakest link. Source is the most important part of the chain.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #26 of 55
1. Be sure the headphones sit on your head with the least or no gaps to your face. Make sure the center of the driver is basically over the center of your ear canal.
2. Borrow/beg a better amp & DAC to compare
3. Agree on getting off a PC, esp if its used for other stuff.
4. Need a new cell? Buy a LG v40/v45/v50 used and your Tidal can go right to your DAC with Hi-Res if you like. I just close all open apps/clean-up :)45 seconds max). I get 270 Mbps download speed, and 480 upload on my fat pipe. No interrupts in my music from Tidal. And you can simplify your chain.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #27 of 55
No tubes - sounds boring to me too.

(elaborating edit after glib comment: I found an all solid state setup boring sounding too. Focal headphones I found extra hard to like without a tube setup IMO they can sound sterile. I am sure there are exceptions, but in general I've found that to be the case. A DAC upgrade may help as others have said, but #1 headphones (yours are good) #2 amp, I have no experience with that amp, but try tubes. Ideally a good vendor will let you trial or at worst buy/return, #3 DAC. A good DAC can make a huge difference of course, then streamer, which again can make a nice difference compared to a busy PC).

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #28 of 55
Really thinking about getting both the PS Audio DirectStream DAC and WA33 now. You've all confirmed my suspicions - my dac and source are terrible (or perhaps not optimal). And tubes > solid state. Every day enjoyment > money. Oh well.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #29 of 55
Really thinking about getting both the PS Audio DirectStream DAC and WA33 now. You've all confirmed my suspicions - my dac and source are terrible (or perhaps not optimal). And tubes > solid state. Every day enjoyment > money. Oh well.

Eh. I think that's all been considerably overstated. You've got a pretty good chain, though I agree if warmth is what you're missing adding tubes isn't a bad way to get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back