What's wrong with Musical Fidelity?
Feb 9, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #46 of 55
Do you remember a few years ago in What Hi Fi. The Musical Fidelity full page adds. Marantz always had the inside cover. Now in this magazine Musical Fidelity very rarely gets a mention .

I have had a A5 for many years and very pleased I bought an M1Clic from ebay this week. Because I am so fed up with my Bluesound Node dropping out even though its hard wired. Hoping the M1 Clic will be a better performance

New member first post:

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #47 of 55
Do you remember a few years ago in What Hi Fi. The Musical Fidelity full page adds. Marantz always had the inside cover. Now in this magazine Musical Fidelity very rarely gets a mention .

I have had a A5 for many years and very pleased I bought an M1Clic from ebay this week. Because I am so fed up with my Bluesound Node dropping out even though its hard wired. Hoping the M1 Clic will be a better performance

New member first post:
Try HiFi Choice magazine for (very positive) Musical Fidelity reviews. It's been a long time since What Hifi gave Musical Fidelity the recognition they deserve.

I still have their original A1amp which in the eighties was the darling of all the hifi press.

Mar 9, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #48 of 55
Having the combo MF200B + V90HBA. The sound is very bright and can be quite harsh, with lots of background noise when not playing. Connected via RCA from line-out from my Fiio X5iii
The headphone is not very comfortable. The amp is very light, feel kinda cheap even though the finishing is good. I still believe heavier mean better quality :D
Got it cheap from Ebay (150GBP) therefore it's not too bad. But if it was 450GBP like when it first came out, it doesn't worth it.

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #49 of 55
Having the combo MF200B + V90HBA. The sound is very bright and can be quite harsh, with lots of background noise when not playing. Connected via RCA from line-out from my Fiio X5iii
The headphone is not very comfortable. The amp is very light, feel kinda cheap even though the finishing is good. I still believe heavier mean better quality :D
Got it cheap from Ebay (150GBP) therefore it's not too bad. But if it was 450GBP like when it first came out, it doesn't worth it.
The ordinary non balanced MF200 sound their best played at a low level, in a similar way to a Grado, from my phone or Walkman. Amazing detail but they are a little bright coming to them from another, lesser headphone. You get used to them after a while. Your mind and ears adjust, and other headphoness can sound very dull.!

They do sound too bright from my V90HPA (again unbalanced). They sound better from 'lesser' source for some reason. There is zero background noise with my amp. Sounds lke a fault to me

Don't think you have many options with the mini XLR (?) connectors on your 200b unfortunately

Id sell the combo

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #50 of 55
The ordinary non balanced MF200 sound their best played at a low level, in a similar way to a Grado, from my phone or Walkman. Amazing detail but they are a little bright coming to them from another, lesser headphone. You get used to them after a while. Your mind and ears adjust, and other headphoness can sound very dull.!

They do sound too bright from my V90HPA (again unbalanced). They sound better from 'lesser' source for some reason. There is zero background noise with my amp. Sounds lke a fault to me

Don't think you have many options with the mini XLR (?) connectors on your 200b unfortunately

Id sell the combo
I actually had ask a friend to made a Male MiniXLR to 2.5mm jack for the MF200b. But have to be honest, not my cup of tea.

Mar 13, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #51 of 55
I have a node 2i and have had zero problems with it. I think Bluesound has some of the best software in the audio business. The controller app and device software always find each other and updates never fail. I didn't have the original node.

I have a Musical Fidelity integrated amp and I'm very happy with it. I think British hifi is just not that glamorous compared to Tokyo-by-night Japanese or Chifi gear. But I like minimalist analog components.

Mar 14, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #52 of 55
I have the Xcan version.. Not sure which version I have.. It has 2 tubes in it.. I need to dig it out .. Haven’t used it in a decade or more..
was A bit quirky to change tubes, volume switch is tiny.. nothing else stands out about it..

Mar 25, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #53 of 55
My V90-BHA produce hissing noise even with volume at 0. Touch the unit, the hissing reduce a little bit but not totally. Really annoying. The sound is great but the hiss ruined everything.

May 20, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #54 of 55
My V90-BHA produce hissing noise even with volume at 0. Touch the unit, the hissing reduce a little bit but not totally. Really annoying. The sound is great but the hiss ruined everything.
No problems with hiss here, got the MF 200B headphones and V90-BHA yesterday, am using my PC as source (at the moment) through an SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKII and a Musical Fidelity 3B pre. If you are using a DAC these are often class D and require well shielded interconnects as the cable can act as an antennae, I noticed an immediate improvement in background noise levels when I made some interconnects using Van Damme Lo-Cap cable. I am guessing here but with the increased sensitivity of the headphones you may notice any noise that is not noticeable through speakers etc.

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #55 of 55
One nice thing about Musical Fidelity electronics (sadly not their Chinese headphones) is that they may be designed in England but at least they are made in Taiwan and not China. I and, I hope, others with an ounce of scruples are at least trying to not buy Chinese products. 'Made in Taiwan' is the ultimate F..k U to the CCP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back