What's wrong with me?
Dec 22, 2007 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

numbskull

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, i just got the Altec Lansing im716. This is my first IEM. Also my first hi-fi phone. I always got lame cheap phones.

So, i got the iaudio U3, and for me, the stock phone sounded good somewhat. But i needed the isolation, since i get train everyday, and it is very loud. So i bought it, and was expecting a lot from it. Then i tried them right out of the box with my iaudio, and i was not impressed. I am still not impressed with im716. To me, the stock phones are "similar" in some aspects. When i listen to it (the stock one) in a silent ambient, the sound is somewhat good. But then, for the price difference and references, i thought that the im716 would be like heaven in my ears.

I am not sure if i am getting propper seal (with foams), but i insert it very deeply and then i can barely listen myself claping hands very hard (with music playing). With no music and only silence, i can hear some noise from outside, which i presume its normal.

Obviously, i CAN hear some differences between the phones, but... not so much! I am very disappointed now. I listen them one after another, to see if i can find differences. I can't find many... and the im716 says like 90% accuracy!

What's wrong with me?
confused.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 10
Either you don't like the Ety's sound signature (it is a love and hate thing) or you iM716 didn't get enough power from your U3 (especially in HD mode and after mod). Did you get a chance to use any amp with it yet?

How much did you pay for yours? I get them cheaper than ER6i and I find it to be better sounding. If you get a good seal, any outside noise should be barely noticeable even in silence.

Dec 22, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 10
Also, remember that good seal doesnt mean high pressure in earcanal between the headphone and eardrum, which butchers the sound. So try to insert them carefully stretching while pulling your earlobe to widen earcanal and so on. Just in case that you arent getting a good but non-pressurised seal.

Or you dont like Etymotic type sound. They boast with flat frequency response and good detailing, so if your music wont make use of those features, its possible that it wont impress you except isolation. Perhaps you like more dramatic sound with large soundstage, hitting bass or whatever, things which IEMs are struggling with generally.

Dec 22, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 10
If you look at the reviews, a fair proportion of people really do not like them at all, and do not consider them superior to freebies, you are not at fault here. Also IEMS can be an acquired taste, I have tried a few decent IEMS (Shure and UE) and have never been able to find a pair I like.

Dec 22, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 10
it's not a matter of dislinking the sound
i like it, i like detailed sound
the thing is, it's just not FAR superior to stock buds, i was expecting a LOT more
(in other words, seems that my earbuds are just like ety's sig, when i supose that it shoud be a lot more different and detailed)
when it describes them as detailed, well... I am not perceiving those details, and i am really trying to! Shouldn't i be surprised, shocked with the im716, after 3 months of listening with stock buds?

and yes, i am rolling the foams and inserting it
almost half foam stay outside of ear canal, it molds a cavity at the middle of the foam
i don't know how much deep i should insert to make the proper seal, but i can't go any further than that!

Dec 23, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 10
"Obviously, i CAN hear some differences between the phones, but... not so much!"

Part of coming to terms with IEMs is managing expectations. The performance (or maybe more important, the "pleasure factor") is not as great as what you might initially expect to pay for the money ... you're paying for portability and a degree of isolation. It's relatively difficult to get a "big" sound out of tiny in-ear earphones.

Having said that, maybe there's an in-ear earphone out there that will please you. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back