What's with the sudden M50 craze?
Apr 21, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #31 of 64
Isn't there a sig that's like "maturity is knowing that the volume knob also turns to the left?" He's 14, let him have his fun.
tongue.gif

Edit - well, maybe not. XD

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #33 of 64
Something that I think every school health program/instruction should have is a dummy headphone measuring head/ear that can measure dB level of IEMs, ear buds, on ear, and over ear headphones properly. Include instruction in health class on the dangers of listening too loud and demonstrate what safe listening levels from headphones actually sound like. Have the kids bring in their own iPod, play their favorite song, and find out how loud they actually listen. Without measuring and having access to measuring equipment how do you know how loud your particular headphones are?

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #34 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy crap, the M50s are INCREDIBLY loud off an Ipod. O_O

He's crazy.

LOUD!
These are so easy to drive and they have such intense slammin' bass! The kid's gonna go deaf.

Yo ssavage... turn it down! Trust us, your ears are important devices. Treat them with care. It should never be 'concert' loud. That's just plain dangerous.
eek.gif

shane

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #35 of 64
I listen to music quite loud but 80% is not loud enough is... And I'm talking about iPhone 3GS, which is known to have relative quieter volume than iPod.

Btw, which is the normal level on iPod/iPhone you guys listen to?

Apr 21, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #36 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to music quite loud but 80% is not loud enough is... And I'm talking about iPhone 3GS, which is known to have relative quieter volume than iPod.

Btw, which is the normal level on iPod/iPhone you guys listen to?

50-60%. Max!
Much less, if the CD has been BRICK-WALLED.

iPod classic.

shane

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #40 of 64
I can assure you that with my iPod Nano 1GEN, you really need to go up to 80% or more. The M50 is horrible straight out of the jack, and even with a T3 amp, it still doesn't sound good compared to at home. Maybe it's my iPod but to me all the "it sounds fine on an ipod" opinions don't hold
smily_headphones1.gif

Then again, I don't really care cause they are way too big to be walking around with anyway. I use my AKG's K414 for that, they are perfect with the T3.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #42 of 64
I picked up a pair last November to give the closed AT headphones a try. One of the major reasons I got it was the price - $70 after Bing Cashback through a dealer's ebay storefront. For that price, I don't think there's much better out there.

FOTM is something that people should watch out for, but sometimes it's not bad. We just need to be careful not to overhype things (Nuforce uDAC, anyone? It's a very good USB DAC for the price, but it's not a cure for cancer).

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #43 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I receive my M50's later this morning. I'll see whether Stereophile and many here are right or wrong (of course that will be to my ears and my taste.
atsmile.gif
)

Did Stereophile do a review of these?

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackzarg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did Stereophile do a review of these?

I can't remember a full review, but it's in the April 2010 Recommended Components issue. So is the AKG-K701 and a few Senn's along with the Westone 3 and Shure 530.

I'm at work and don't have the issue in front of me. Often at the end of a listing they put the issue where (or if) it was reviewed. I'll check that tonight.

shane

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelbe3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I will stick with the sony xb 700 and as Mad Lust Envy states, I may not get much better going for the ath 50...any further comments or opinions on this dilemma

I haven't heard the XB700 but I will bet you a brand new pair of ATH-M50 that the M50 is quite a bit better. The M50 has plenty of bass too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back