What's with the sudden M50 craze?
Apr 20, 2010 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

aragornmustdie

100+ Head-Fier
Guys!

I wasn't around for a moment and suddenly every thread here has a M50 recommendation in it.

Would anyone bother to fill me in? Just for fun.

M50 is a good phone anyways.

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #2 of 64
There's a lot of $100-150 portable closed 'phone requests and really not that many options. The other AT's aren't as well known or tested, a lot of the tried and tested Sonys are rather old (not bad, just not as exciting), and lots of people like the M50 (including Headroom) and these people tend to be online
tongue.gif
It happens.

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 64
Hahaha, yeah. We tend to recommend from personal experience, and the sudden requests scream out "M50!!!!!".

Apr 20, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 64
Haha, yea. Have you tried them? How do they compare with your ES7? I heard M50 are similar to DT770, the beyers being slightly better. I went with DT770 so that I wouldn't end up getting something similar to my ES7.

My ES7 are very bassy when pushed (clip+ and fiio e3)

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #7 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A virulent strain of the flavour-of-the-month-itis.

Flavor of the month isn't always wrong.

I receive my M50's later this morning. I'll see whether Stereophile and many here are right or wrong (of course that will be to my ears and my taste.
atsmile.gif
)

When I decided to buy it was the right price for the seemingly right attributes.

shane

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 64
Burn them in for a bit. The treble was a bit too sparkly for my taste when I first put them on, but after only 30 minutes of burn in, the treble settled down.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 64
I don't think you can call a 'phone that has been solidly recommended since it's release (some time ago) as f.o.t.m.

It's a solid performing phone for its price point, and it's portbale and doesn't need an amp - quite often when people ask for a recommendation those are boxes they say they want ticking so it's an obvious suggestion.

F.o.t.m., for me, is when an item has just arrived and all the early adopters are claiming it is the best thing ever which causes a ripple effect until people calm down and realise that actually it's pretty average. The SFlo is a perfect example.
devil_face.gif

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 64
yes there is a tendency here to brand any popular recommended cans that arent flagship as FOTM,
but i believe EddieE hit the nail in the head there with what i thought is the true definition of FOTM...

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #11 of 64
Mine arrived just after my last post.

I'm at work and have nothing to compare them to.
I plugged them into my iPod Classic (120GB) and played several different selections (all lossless).

1) very easy to drive.
2) remarkable sound vs. cost.
3) Very comfortable (but probably hot after long use).

These incredibly inexpensive cans ($109 + free ship at Amazon) are very good. I can't wait until tonight when I put them through their paces.
I'll be comparing them to the Beyer DT880 and DT770 (arrive tomorrow) over the next week.

This should be very interesting.
beyersmile.png

For me... its the flavor of the day!

shane

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 64
Well I dont want to call the M50 the FOTM cos it was highly recommended for me in last November, and its a great value since then. And they were mentioned in the most $100-150 threads since then...so maybe flavor of the last 5 months but not FOTM I think...
They just worth their price and doing a great job overall...

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by dyce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, yea. Have you tried them? How do they compare with your ES7? I heard M50 are similar to DT770, the beyers being slightly better. I went with DT770 so that I wouldn't end up getting something similar to my ES7.

My ES7 are very bassy when pushed (clip+ and fiio e3)

Ha! Yes, I remembered that from the very first time they were highly recommended but only a few people go for them unlike now. More availability perhaps?

Yes, I have heard them numerous times and I liked them; that time it was the only headphone that I claimed as better than my ES7. And "that time" refers to my tenure as an ES7 fanboy- I liked the sound so much.

Well, for one, ES7's more fun and aggressive; I love it so much since I'm into classic rock and such. But M50 is more neutral and easy on the ears, both the sound and the clamp force.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you can call a 'phone that has been solidly recommended since it's release (some time ago) as f.o.t.m.

It's a solid performing phone for its price point, and it's portbale and doesn't need an amp - quite often when people ask for a recommendation those are boxes they say they want ticking so it's an obvious suggestion.

F.o.t.m., for me, is when an item has just arrived and all the early adopters are claiming it is the best thing ever which causes a ripple effect until people calm down and realise that actually it's pretty average. The SFlo is a perfect example.
devil_face.gif

I agree with everything you said. There isn't much else to recommend if someone is looking for a balanced sounding (as in sufficient bass, and without peaky treble) closed headphone that is portable, can be driven from ipod, for 100 dollars.

It gets recommended a lot because it's the best fit for something a lot of people are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back