What's with the pricing on sale/trade forums? We should monitor the prices.
Apr 7, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #61 of 70
This is the most ridiculous thread i have ever seen, the market dictates the price in any free based economy. Many factors are involved in price ultimately being set, and if you do not like it, the simple answer is do not buy it.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #62 of 70

Quote:
This is the most ridiculous thread i have ever seen, the market dictates the price in any free based economy. Many factors are involved in price ultimately being set, and if you do not like it, the simple answer is do not buy it.

stop bringing this thread back to the top with the exact same statements already said numerous times if you guys really think this threads ridiculous.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #63 of 70
People talk about flipping... This is buying something from a limited quantity deal in order to sell for profit later? In all fairness about buyers and sellers determining prices, I'd like to add that the early bird gets the worm. Not only do people vote with their money, but also with their time and upkeep with current prices.

If someone were to purchase the Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 or Klipsch Image X10 at the Amazon holiday sale price of $90, it is in no way unreasonable to expect them to sell the earphones at current market value, which is $144 used for the TripleFi 10 on Amazon.com. They are making $50. So what. They bought it legally, and are legally selling it at street price. I daresay even if one were to do it for profit, it's not far removed from purchasing anything else that may be on sale and/or appreciate in value over time. Stocks and DIY kits come to mind.

Yes, a corporate business operation is out of place on headfi, and high volume sales even from forum members selling things would be better facilitated through personal websites. I'm not sure I would call someone purchasing 5 pairs of TripleFi 10's and selling them for $50 profit unjust though. People flip houses, stocks, and anything else they wish... Is headfi different because some people didn't get a chance at the deal and want to take it out on those that did by banning them from profiting? (I was one of those the year before last year in missing out on the TF10 Amazon deal. I sucked it up and waited a year, not expecting anyone who had purchased a few at $90 to offer them at that price.)

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #65 of 70
Having been actively involved in the classifieds for quite a while, I can say it's pointless to try to enforce such a rule controlling prices. For one, it's not as if people are so negligent as to pay an exorbitant amount for an obviously overpriced item. Glance over it and let it go. I for one usually inform the seller (via pm) of the street prices and friendly advise him to drop the price. Other things like blatantly flipping and scams are easily reported and dealt with.
I'm sure most of you members out there with over 50 transactions will agree.

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #66 of 70
^ You need to trade your wares elsewhere if you have that intent. You're trying to reason actions which many here do not condone and violates the rules.

Absolutely agree, is this amazon? Ebay?
No, it's head-fi.
The rules have been set in stone for years with no major dilemmas.
If you don't like them, then it's high time for you to move on.

I love the fs forums not only for the good deals available. Passing and sharing knowledge, making new friends, and giving back to the community.

What I really detest is when the seller makes you an offer, then secretly pawns it off to the highest bidder on the side.

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #67 of 70

Quote:
^ You need to trade your wares elsewhere if you have that intent. You're trying to reason actions which many here do not condone and violates the rules.

I don't have that intent. I have not sold anything on the forums, and do not plan on selling what I have in the near future, for profit or otherwise.

Rules:

"Recently a number of deals on IEMs at far below their retail price have come up on Amazon, such as UE TF-10s for $95.  Some people have thought this a great enterprising opportunity to resell or trade them on the forums at a profit.  This is called "flipping" and is not permitted in the classifieds, as it amounts to a commercial sale, which is not permitted.

As well, WTB classifieds offering above the purchase price of these one-day specials will be deleted, as the person selling them will be breaking the rules." -Currawong

I read it: Reselling or trading on the forums for a profit is 'flipping' and is prohibited. Following the letter of this rule to a T, it would stand that if one receives a gift, that they may not sell it for any amount greater than $0.00. As for the last line, I'm not sure I understand it: People who wish to buy an IEM for a price higher than the one day special price are not allowed to, and their offer will be deleted. I think it means those who specifically ask for Amazon Gold Box items at a little over the purchasing price.

Anyone have an updated link for the official rules?

This one seems to be broken: http://www.head-fi.org/documents/rules.html

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #68 of 70
Tbh, if my price is unfair (even by $20-30) and if somebody posts a reply (not PM) saying many people are selling for cheaper, Id be completely ok with that.  I'll just justify my price openly so everyone can see why it is priced that way, although my stuffs are always conservatively priced.

Anyways, if you look at classifieds you will see this first: "

IMPORTANT!

​
The classifieds are meant as a means for established members to trade pre-owned gear

sure, the admins did not want people posting on FS threads, but I think they made it clear that this isn't a market, it is a place for people to trade gear so that they can find their ideal set up.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #69 of 70

Quote:
So I've been checking out the sales/trade forum multiple times a day in order to find a good deal.  But it seems like the forum is getting filled with people who wants to sell the cans for how much they paid, not how much it is worth (for example, $360 for scratched up Pro 900, $180 for TripleFi 10, $250 for a year-old AKG K701, $950 for a year-old LCD-2).  Anyways, in a lot of cases the price on the used item is comparable/higher than the retail price for a new one, and they don't even come with a warranty.

Could we please spread the words and call people out so nobody gets ripped off on the Head-Fi forums and we can all keep getting good deals from here?  I want to keep seeing posts like "Like new Signature Pro for $800" or "slightly used LCD-2 Rev 2 for $750", not only because I just saved up enough money to buy one of these, but this way it is a lot easier to trade and try each others gear for people (like me) who doesn't have access to other high-end equipment.

i know its so annoying.

sellers want to sell broken junk for selling price. other day saw a HE-500 with NO cable for 600!! or worn out hd 600s for like 320

and buyers are cheap and try and always low-ball whatever price you set, even if its already a bargain. 

sad really...

Apr 24, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #70 of 70

Quote:

i know its so annoying.

sellers want to sell broken junk for selling price. other day saw a HE-500 with NO cable for 600!! or worn out hd 600s for like 320

and buyers are cheap and try and always low-ball whatever price you set, even if its already a bargain. 

sad really...

What's sad is that a lot of people think they can sell their can with one driver missing or completely broken for about 60% of the retail price... without warranty.  But I do agree, I'm tired of getting bombarded with low ball offers, especially when they try to buy for way below the asking price after exchanging many PM's and pics of the equipment that is already low priced.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back