Whats With All The Tech Crusader's
Jul 26, 2011 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DigitalFreak

镇老鹰
I've been a member on this forum for a few months now and I can honestly say I'm quite happy and proud to be a member of Head-Fi. The main attraction for me to this site is it's other members and the incredible plethora of information that's available on here when it involves audio. Unlike many other sites Head-Fi has a very strong community mentality.

I love discussing audio but another passion/hobby of mine is technology. To be more specific I love reading researching and playing around with the new mobile handsets available on the market. I love playing with iOS and and I love also playing with Android and now that WP7 is finally on the shelves I've enjoyed messing around with that and wondering what Microsoft will do to push it further.  I love playing around and tinkering with computers and seeing exactly how capable they can be. I even love walking into an Apple store and tinkering around with the newest greatest top of the line Mac and seeing what it can do. Although I'm not a Apple fan boy by any stretch of the imagination I can't help but admire the different approach that Apple has utilized to make their OS what it is today. In short my feeling has always been the more platforms out there that are thriving the more innovation caused by competition. End result the consumer can pick and choose what works for him/her and thereby enjoy a good user experience.

With such a winning formula occurring in the open market it is beyond me why there seem to be so many people hell bent on bashing trolling and spreading misinformation all in the name of defending their platforms of choice such as OSX, Windows, iOS, Android and WP7? Personally I really don't care if some faceless user in Britain hates Windows. I don't care if Android can be tweaked 6 ways from Sunday I only care if the OS on the handset in question is capable for my needs and the user experience is an enjoyable one for me specifically. Although I understand some people love tweaking their phones I personally only want a phone I can turn on add my contacts and walk out the door 5 minutes later ready for use. Basically I just want a smart phone to make phone calls check emails and do other light duties such as surf and maybe watch the odd video clip etc. If others want to tweak their handsets to open 50 garage doors stream 50 movies at once and blast off to the moon well more power to them but personally I don't care about tweaking a phone like that. All I want is a capable smart phone end of story and anything else I don't care.

What I do care about is when users go out of their way to post hateful personal attacks on tech blogs. Over the last 3 or 4 years I've slowly watched the threads on the vast majority of tech blogs degenerate into back biting hate filled flame wars resulting in completely short circuiting the exchange of information of personal experience or information between users on tech. Trolling has gotten so bad I can't help but wonder if these users have subconsciously reverted to a base hate filled reactionary clan of tech crusaders hell bent on converting the masses to what they deem to be the one and only platform worthy of existence. Even if I try not to read the trollish posts it can sometimes become impossible due to excessive spamming of certain members.

Am I alone on the net when I say I wish these so called tech crusaders would just shut up go away and get a life? We are talking about nothing more then tech gadgets which is nothing more then glass tin and plastic and will probably be in the landfill within seven years or so if not way sooner so why all the hate? If you see eye to eye with my statement this may be the thread for you to post. Please sound off your thoughts below. For the most part I've noticed we have a highly tech savy as well as well versed membership on this forum and I'm intrigued to hear all of your thoughts.

NOTE: THIS IS A DISCUSSION THREAD NOT THIS PLATFORM IS BETTER THEN THAT PLATFORM BECAUSE THIS COMPANY MAKES IT THREAD. IF YOU CAN'T BE OBJECTIVE PLEASE JUST GO AWAY AND POST ON ANOTHER THREAD

Thank You

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
What I do care about is when users go out of their way to post hateful personal attacks on tech blogs. Over the last 3 or 4 years I've slowly watched the threads on the vast majority of tech blogs degenerate into back biting hate filled flame wars resulting in completely short circuiting the exchange of information of personal experience or information between users on tech. Trolling has gotten so bad I can't help but wonder if these users have subconsciously reverted to a base hate filled reactionary clan of tech crusaders hell bent on converting the masses to what they deem to be the one and only platform worthy of existence. Even if I try not to read the trollish posts it can sometimes become impossible due to excessive spamming of certain members.

This largely reflects society at large today. There is no middle, only extreme left or right, all bound to ideology. I have no explanation or answer.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:

This largely reflects society at large today. There is no middle, only extreme left or right, all bound to ideology. I have no explanation or answer.

I don't see liking a OS as an ideology. At least in my mind there should be no ideology behind it.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 13
It's not an ideology, but I think that people take extreme positions or put their opinions out there in extreme ways on the internet because they're not face-to-face with other people in the conversation. There's no way that most participants in a flame-war would behave the way they do without the relative anonymity of the interface.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
I don't see liking a OS as an ideology. At least in my mind there should be no ideology behind it.

There shouldn't be - it should all come down to a matter of personal tastes, preferences, needs and recommendations, but unfortunately, as beerguy0 states, like a great deal many other issues in life, this too has slowly devolved into an argument of one extreme vs another.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
It's not an ideology, but I think that people take extreme positions or put their opinions out there in extreme ways on the internet because they're not face-to-face with other people in the conversation. There's no way that most participants in a flame-war would behave the way they do without the relative anonymity of the interface.

Normally, I would agree with this theory, but judging from the insanity that is publicly exhibited by the US Govt. wrangling, rather than solving problems and moving on, this idiocy seems to be in the air.  No one seems to be able to work together anymore.  People seem to have forgotten how to cooperate with one another.  Self interest seems so strong, it seems to have completely over ruled common interests.  It's complete madness.  Like science fiction, or...the Twilight Zone...

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:

Polarization sells. People don't want something that does everything so-so or good enough, they want something that is the best at something and preferably best at something those people themselves value - e.g. tweakability or ease of use or maximum compatibility (for OS). Also overconsumption in our society necessarily means a larger choice of products in the same product category (evolving from mediocre all-rounders to highly specialized, tweaked versions). And with that, the necessary urge to defend the choice one has made - admitting that another choice is equally good means admitting that one did not buy the absolutely best product; combined with the confusing and wide variety of products to choose from, you get a huge flame war where nobody will listen to the other. Just my opinion though. That's also the reason why I think that limited choice may actually be better for society whereas most people would say that more choice equals evolution and development.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 13
Normally, I would agree with this theory, but judging from the insanity that is publicly exhibited by the US Govt. wrangling, rather than solving problems and moving on, this idiocy seems to be in the air.  No one seems to be able to work together anymore.  People seem to have forgotten how to cooperate with one another.  Self interest seems so strong, it seems to have completely over ruled common interests.  It's complete madness.  Like science fiction, or...the Twilight Zone...

well, there is that

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 13
Jul 26, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
I definitely think the crazy-pants knob has been turned up, greater extreme behavior and a surprising lack of collaboration.

Yeah, what is it?  Climate change?  Sun spots?  I dunno, but I wish I could find the knob and turn it back down!! 
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back