What's up with the cable reviews. Pure Note Cables?
Mar 1, 2002 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Acoustic

New Head-Fier
Hi folks, I am new to this forum. What got me interested was the future cable reviews. I know that Jude is busy and I am looking forward especially to the Pure Note review.

I could not wait so I ordered the Pure Note Epsilon cables. WOW! really love them and I have gone through many. I will report more about them if anyone is interested.
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 8
Acoustic,

I like the PureNote Epsilons too. The review schedule is on the front page of Head-Fi.

Yeah, I'm sorry, guys and gals, but my work schedule has been insane this past couple of months -- that's why I haven't been able to post much lately.

You're the first PureNote'er on Head-Fi, Acoustic.

Mar 1, 2002 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 8
I would like to hear your impressions of the Pure Note Epsilon,
however there are probably on a handful of members here who are running $800 ICs in their systems. These are beautiful ICs:

http://www.purenote.com/epsrca.htm

Also could you compare them to similar priced ICs that are maybe
more commonly owned like Acoustic Zen, Stealth etc. How did you find out about these, and what were you using previously?

Do you use Cable Co. to try out cables?

Mar 1, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Yes, please do post a review.

And, if you have it, please make sure to use high-end material (SACD, unwatermarked DVD-A, 24/96 DVD ["DAD"], etc.).

DA -- you're right, they're gorgeous -- pseudo-chrome-ium goodness!

Mar 1, 2002 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 8
DarkAngel: I have used the cable Company for other brands. Pure Note sells direct so there is no restocking fee and no dealer markups. Pure Note is also flexible on pricing if you buy more than one pair of cables.

I actually have had the Pure Note's for about 2 weeks. I will get back to the forum with a personal review after I finalize my comparisons. I do have SACD (SCD-1).

I do like the alloy jacket, much better than the typical plastic cable. These suckers are tough. A friend remarked: "You could pull a boat with these cables."

Mar 1, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Acoustic
I do have SACD (SCD-1).

eek.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Acoustic
I do like the alloy jacket, much better than the typical plastic cable. These suckers are tough. A friend remarked: "You could pull a boat with these cables."

Nice as they are, I also consider the alloy jacket on the Epsilon interconnects to be a potential problem with many people who keep their components in tight spaces. The Epsilons I currently have in my possession feel like Rebar compared to any of the other cables in the review. I mean, they're stiff -- stiff enough to move my HeadRoom Max's butt end around when I'm fiddling with the cables in back. And stiff enough that I worry about the well-being of the RCA jacks on my SCD-C333ES when the Epsilons are plugged in -- thankfully, my plastic cable guide hooks help keep the huge WBT plugs straight.

However, some time after I received these Epsilon interconnects, PureNote replaced the model I'm reviewing with a new model called the Epsilon Reference (so the models I'm actually reviewing are not being sold anymore). Though I don't have the new Epsilon References to actually listen to, I'll get into more detail about the differences between them and the original Epsilon in the review, as described by PureNote. From what I've read and what I'm told, the changes include a reduced cable jacket diameter for greater flexibility and shorter RCA plugs.

Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
....they're gorgeous -- pseudo-chrome-ium goodness!

Dusty, even though I've never really cared much about how audio gear looks, I have to admit that the PureNote Epsilons' striking appearance caught even my attention, and they are even more eye-catching in person than in any of the pictures I've seen. It's a good thing I close my eyes a lot when simply listening, as I might be convinced these cables sound good based on their appearance alone.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 8
The Pure Note Epsilon Reference does not seem too stiff to me (5/16" diameter). About the same stiffness as the old Cardas Golden Cross perhaps but less bulky. The WBT connectors are long and Pure Note says you need 4" wall clearance. Also on the Reference you should keep the braid away from grounded metal objects. I also tried them on my Sony 7700 DVD (cheesy jacks) and they don't seem to be a problem. I guess it is good they changed them, I would not want stiffer but I hate cables that collapse like the Mapleshades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back