What's Up With Sennheiser? I Asked The Sennheisers.
Nov 29, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #151 of 182
I assure you, no one at Sennheiser ever thought "This $55,000 headphone will be a commercial success." They did some R&D that will trickle down into subsequent headphones in the long term, and in the short term they released this prestige product aimed squarely at the half a dozen people on the planet that would spend $55k on a headphone and no one else. Companies in all industries do it all the time.

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #152 of 182
If it is easy to design a DAC yourself, and an Amp yourself, then you could do it right ?

If following DIY published by others were easy, then you could do it right ?

I kindly ask any of you enthusiasts to rethink the values of these products. They are small scales and they are uniques. They were never about the money. However, I don’t think it is going to be easy for everyone and the mass consumers to understand the price point either.

I myself , DIY a lot of things, and to properly built a high end DAC/Amplifier, the materials are not cheap, the chassis are not cheap, even the jacks and plugs, wires can’t be cheap, the beautiful chassis are not cheap either. Then the unique headphones that if you try and DIY, are not cheap. There are enough recipes and blueprints to attempt a DIY your own E-stat, DAC/amp, you are welcome to try, and before you realize that, you are probably be dwelling into the 20-30k ranges (this is with other engineers schematics and designs). Then another 20k is probably to support a company running as paying the engineers, the logistics…customer services…etc…

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #153 of 182
It costs next to nothing to build a basic amplifier module. The prices of transistors, resistors and capacitors does not run into the thousands...

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #155 of 182
When did the HE-1 come out? I wouldn't be surprised if, once COVID kicked off, Senn just said to their engineers "Hey everyone, while the whole world is experiencing some downtime, build something fun, no limits, go wild." The engineers did, then Senn slapped some chrome and marble on it and priced it such that the very few they'd sell would pay the engineers' salaries for the COVID times when they couldn't work on anything else.

Not to mention it's just marketing. Some clickbait articles float around, "OMG a $55k headphone," Sennheiser's name as a prestige manufacturer is refreshed, and probably more than 0 of those clicks translated into sales of their ordinary consumer products. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the existence of the HE-1 inspired some HD800 and 560 sales. And thus it fulfilled its purpose.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #156 of 182
Orpheous II was released many years back, it is not news, possibly back in 2015 or so. However, it is a special customized order. They will be made once the order is placed, not before, and then when you paid off, the delivery team will contact you with white gloves delivery, including setting it up with your existed systems, showing you how it works and so on.

It is definitely unique

Nov 29, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #159 of 182
HD414 and HD540 come to mind as standard-setters prior to the HD600. The only thing special about the HD600 is that it is the first standard-setter in the era of headphones that still hold up today. Like, it's not just Senn, nobody was making headphones prior to the mid-'90s or so that are still worth buying today, unless you're a collector. Headphone technology just wasn't there yet. The AKG Sextett is the single exception I can think of.

Senn's always been a big name in the headphone biz, including well before the HD600.

Nov 29, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #160 of 182
HD414 and HD540 come to mind as standard-setters prior to the HD600. The only thing special about the HD600 is that it is the first standard-setter in the era of headphones that still hold up today. Like, it's not just Senn, nobody was making headphones prior to the mid-'90s or so that are still worth buying today, unless you're a collector. Headphone technology just wasn't there yet. The AKG Sextett is the single exception I can think of.

Senn's always been a big name in the headphone biz, including well before the HD600.
Many vintage Beyers are quite good and desired as well. But yeah there wasn’t many dynamics outside of Sennheiser, Beyers, and AKG’s worth buying back then. They were basically the classic trio even before the HD 650, DT 880, and K701.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #164 of 182
Have one new pair in reserve.Some Senn. series are definitely headphones for life
I don’t have any in reserve, but I have all 800S , except the original 800. My collection is now consisting of 800S, Anniversary, and 820. Then again, the 820 is an abomination that is totally different than the 800s family LOL!!! Like it is in the family but totally a different beast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back