What's up with all the Grado HP-Love lately?
Aug 10, 2007 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Kraegorn

100+ Head-Fier
I'm dying to audition the HP-1000's one day and find out what's all the hype surrounding these headphones of late, and why it keeps jumping in price. Personally, I don't see it as a viable upgrade from the RS-1, with claims that the HP's are the closest cans to neutrality. Are these the bang for the buck or have they recently become a collector's commodity? What's your take?

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 47
Ok, this is going to be like my 10th time repeating this, but...

I have directly compared the HP1000, GS1000, PS-1, RS-1, RS-2 and L3000 (and several others) side by side.

The HP1000, was by far and away, the best headphone out of all of them. Period. The closest competitors were the L3000, GS1000 and PS-1. But, I preferred the HP1000 to any of them beyond any shadow of a doubt -- there was no gray area where I said "well the HP1000 sounds great but so does the L3000, I can't decide between them...", etc...

But, probably the biggest surprise was how poorly the RS-1 and RS-2 compared to the HP1000. There was simply no contest, the differences were HUGE. It made both the RS-1 and RS-2 sound like some kind of fisher price toy headphones. Literally. I am not exaggerating. It was to the point that I would have been hard pressed to find any positive words for the RS-1 and RS-2 in comparison. The difference really was THAT big.

And no, I am not at all interested in the HP1000 for collectors value. I bought it for the sound and the sound alone. If I wanted it for collectors value I would not have purchased the APureSound restored HP-2 (see sig for pictures). There were 2 or 3 other pristine HP-2s that were also available for me to buy which would have been much better for resale and collectors value. I passed.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 47
Lately? They have always been regarded as the best Grado's by many, with some people liking the PS-1 more.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 47
I think they are absolutely wonderful. They completely melt away and expose the music. Very elegant, neutral, absolutely smooth and grain less.... etc.

I prefer them to the PS-1 and by far prefer them to the RS-1. And frankly I can't think of a headphone that I would say is better... maybe just different.

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 47
Simply put:

It's because they 'gots the mojo'.

I am hoping to acquire another pair of HP-X000s one day (I regret ever selling my first pair). I can't imagine the amount of Mojo that would be generated by both the PS-1s and the HP-2000s being in the same room together. The universe as we know it may actually implode and then cease to exist...

Aug 10, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, this is going to be like my 10th time repeating this, but...

I have directly compared the HP1000, GS1000, PS-1, RS-1, RS-2 and L3000 (and several others) side by side.

The HP1000, was by far and away, the best headphone out of all of them. Period. The closest competitors were the L3000, GS1000 and PS-1. But, I preferred the HP1000 to any of them beyond any shadow of a doubt -- there was no gray area where I said "well the HP1000 sounds great but so does the L3000, I can't decide between them...", etc...

But, probably the biggest surprise was how poorly the RS-1 and RS-2 compared to the HP1000. There was simply no contest, the differences were HUGE. It made both the RS-1 and RS-2 sound like some kind of fisher price toy headphones. Literally. I am not exaggerating. It was to the point that I would have been hard pressed to find any positive words for the RS-1 and RS-2 in comparison. The difference really was THAT big.

And no, I am not at all interested in the HP1000 for collectors value. I bought it for the sound and the sound alone. If I wanted it for collectors value I would not have purchased the APureSound restored HP-2 (see sig for pictures). There were 2 or 3 other pristine HP-2s that were also available for me to buy which would have been much better for resale and collectors value. I passed.

And I've owned the HP-1000 and L3000 at the same time for a span of over a month and neither is better than the other. Just different. They both have their strengths, but I prefer the more detailed midrange of the L3000, and the deeper more impactful bass.

And calling the RS-1 a toy is a gross over exaggeration. No comment about the RS-2 which I don't think is as resolving as any of the afore mentioned headphones.

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 47
The popularity of the HP1000 has been extremely volatile for the 4+ years I've been here.

* They were peaking at ~$1250 'round the time I registered at headfi
* The plummeted in price after the release of the PS1 (2004-ish?), down to as low as ~$650
* They steadily climbed back up and then exploded to $1400+ around last year
* They started to slip just a bit under radar again
* Now I guess they're all the rage again?

Seriously, the HP1000 population is so low that everytime someone new discovers them and raves about them here, interest shoots up again and with it the price :p
biggrin.gif

I think they're awesome. Some of the best ever made, sonically and aesthetically. Still, I do prefer the L3000 overall and other headphones for certain genres (R10, Qualia, etc) over the HP1000. I also think the HD650 is pretty close to the level of the HP1000, with an excellent source and amp. So, I've bought and sold the HP1000 twice. At least I can easily understand how they're THE headphone for some, unlike certain other headphones
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 47
I owned two HP2's at one point in time and sold both after picking up the PS1's. They are absolutely incredible headphones. My ears definitely prefer the PS1's bass and their ability to clearly retrive more micro-detail out of the recording, however the HP2 was a tad bit better for long term listening sessions. It has a more slightly laidback synergy and, because of this, has been prematurely judged by many in the past as being cold, dry, sterile, too neutral, etc. This is completely false, IMO, and impressions like these could have only come from meets and/or short term listening exposure. The HP1000 is dynamic enough to satisfy but not overhelm. It is slightly lighter than the PS1's, but honestly the weight of both has never bothered me at all.

You could do far worse than ending up with some top of the line Grado's.

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And calling the RS-1 a toy is a gross over exaggeration.

Not IMO, perhaps it was very bad amp/source synergy with them but they were EXTREMELY bright and thin by direct comparison. They had the bowl pads, didn't get a chance to try other pads however.

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not IMO, perhaps it was very bad amp/source synergy with them but they were EXTREMELY bright and thin by direct comparison. They had the bowl pads, didn't get a chance to try other pads however.

To get the most out of the RS-1 you need an amp optimized for them. I have read impressions from people that own tons of gear (are experienced and listen to good music) and still love the RS-1. These amps aren't cheap.

I'm sure a transformer coupled amp using boutique transformers (cost probably close to $4000 in parts alone) would make them sing. Of course such an amp would do the same for probably any low Z headphones.

Try and listen to an RS-1 with an EAR HP4 and tell me it doesn't sound good.

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 47
Well unless somebody brings an EAR HP4 to a nearby meet I unfortunately won't be able to hear it.

I can say the setup I heard the RS-1 on, though. It was out of this huge Krell SACD player hooked up to the Cayin HA-1A (on the proper impedance setting). The HP-1000, PS-1, L3000 and GS1000 all sounded fantastic out of this setup.

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
* They were peaking at ~$1250 'round the time I registered at headfi
* The plummeted in price after the release of the PS1 (2004-ish?), down to as low as ~$650
* They steadily climbed back up and then exploded to $1400+ around last year
* They started to slip just a bit under radar again
* Now I guess they're all the rage again?

Good point. They do fall under the radar just like most older headphones, and when that happens, people aren't interested because they don't know much about them.

The PS-1 did this when I was originally interested in them last year before hearing the HP-2. They were $1,500 (should have bought them for investment
mad.gif
), and there were 3 available being bumped
blink.gif
- then a thread started and a few more and then you couldn't stir one up.

That's when I ended up with the HP-2 and was blown away by the fact that it had the same PS-1 resolve and detail, but without the liquid, lush, and very bassy sound which some prefer. I like to hear nothing but what's on the recording which is why the HP-2 appealed to me. The PS-1 is on par but for someone that wants that extra excitement, smooth, liquid sound with a slightly artificial covering IMHO.

That being said your question about value
on par but up to preference
  1. L3000 $2,500
  2. PS-2 $2,500
  3. R-10 I think up to $6,000+
  4. Qualia (can't be had basically
    tongue.gif
    )
  5. HD650 + recable and proper amping (priceless)

*Don't forget the K-1000 for value though either. It holds it's own (but loses by a slight margin) to the HE-90 ($8,000+ before amp.)

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that's crazy. too bad i was such a noob back then. maybe i would have bought a pair.

Aug 10, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 47
The Grado PS-1's are the Best Grado ever Made! They stomp the competition like Conan the Barbarian decimates his enemies. The PS-1’s are the RS-1’s interbred with the Grado HP1000’s- the best of both worlds with out the boring neutrality of the HP1000.

As nice as the HP1000’s are they are boringly neutral. Think sex while in a coma.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back